Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Superman Complaint Thread

The Wonder Woman forum made a place for WW fans to vent about her inconsistent power levels so I figured this forum could use something similar. If you want to vent about the never ending agony that comes with being a Superman fan, this one is for you. This is a thread for all your doomposting about Superman, just bump this whenever something occurs to make you feel negatively about Superman’s treatment or future. Hopefully this can keep the negativity contained to one thread rather than multiple ones.

Since I’m the OP I guess I’ll start, I have completely given up all hope of ever getting a good Superman film until the character goes into the public domain. WB are utterly incompetent in how they handle him on the film side and I don’t expect that to change, I think the Coates reboot is going to be ass given how little I cared for his BP and Cap runs.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time here.
    Assassinate Putin!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

He's never going to get revitalized as an IP so long as DC/WB keep looking at parts of him to shave off to bolster other IP. Delivering a watered down product and bemoaning it's not popular anymore is a pretty stupid idea, but here we are.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

They need to pick an origin and stick with it. The last published one was the New 52 one in 2014 and it's not even canon anymore.

DC is run by Batman fans who just put up with the other characters. They have to deal with Superman. They have to deal with Wonder Woman. But I think if they could just do Batman, they probably would. He didn't give himself ten books a month. Along with most of the BL stuff.

The TV shows do a way better job with Superman than the comics do.
    Assassinate Putin!

Mighty Member

I'm not one to whine about power levels (as I find the Dragonball esque "destroy the planet by blinking" to be extremely dumb). I will say that the Death of Superman (or evil Superman) in adaptations can give X-Men's Phoenix storyline a run for it's money on how many times we've seen it. Even Krypton exploding seems like a fresh and original take than seeing Superman die again (we don't even get to see the guy live long enough to have an impact before they rush to kill him)

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    He's never going to get revitalized as an IP so long as DC/WB keep looking at parts of him to shave off to bolster other IP. Delivering a watered down product and bemoaning it's not popular anymore is a pretty stupid idea, but here we are.
    The hatred creators seem to have for all the cool stuff, the Legion, the Fortress, and so forth, utterly baffles me. He’s not the goddamn Batman and no matter how much you de power him and take away the “silly” stuff, he’s still an alien who looks exactly like a human who can fly because the sun is the right color and wears blue and red tights to fight crime. He’ll never be “realistic” unless you go all the way back to the Golden Age power levels which most of the “realistic” stuff doesn’t do.

And yeah I know I’m being petty but I hate seeing other characters take his stuff. Especially the SS game using Metropolis as a setting that’s ours damnit
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    DC is run by Batman fans who just put up with the other characters. They have to deal with Superman. They have to deal with Wonder Woman. But I think if they could just do Batman, they probably would. He didn't give himself ten books a month. Along with most of the BL stuff.
    It is simply that Batman sells. DC is a business and it feels they're finally giving in to that, which is why there are so many Bat-books and little of anything else. The modern market kills innovation so we're getting less different things and more of the one thing that already sells. It's a problem across DC but it's not a "Batman is my favourite" thing. It's a "Batman is the audience's favourite" thing.

A frustrating part of this is that while we used to have Diamond to see comic sales and at least have a vague idea of what was selling, we don't even have that anymore and we've never had accurate digital sales let alone collections, tpbs, etc.

But as to Superman, read this forum. Everybody here wants something different. And it seems nobody knows what the mass audience wants from him.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time here.
    LOL. Definitely.
    I'll let others vent a bit before posting anything. Don't wanna scare anyone.

Peace

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/gra...dan-didio/amp/

The silver bullet to anyone thinking Didio ever cared about Superman as a character. Jesus Christ.

Thank whichever God is responsible for Morrison.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-13-2021 at 10:48 AM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Speaking of Didio whose been in the comic-news recently due to the above article, I think Superman is in an even worse spot now and for the future than he ever was under that regime. Its that bleak to me. The only hope I can imagine for him is another lightning in a bottle idea from out of nowhere like Death of Superman. And those don't come often.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I don't want to rain too much on the parade for the fans who are loving the current direction of Superman, but IMO the last 5 years or so was the most disappointing period of my Superman fan life. Too much emphasis on Jon, a couple of duds in the DCEU with no future projects in sight, over-reliance on the Death of Superman in other media, another CW TV show that has no interest to me after a show on Sy Fy that was Superman Minus Superman, Injustice festering like an infected wound, and the upcoming Suicide Squad game that looks cool but only features Superman as an NPC villain (or at least that's what it looks like so far). I guess getting no new TV shows, animated movies, or live-action movies would be worse, but I feel like right now it feels like Superman can only scatter a few singles but not score any runs. All I can rely on is my back-library of Superman material. I also suppose I'm green with envy when some other DC property seems to be getting something interesting.

A lack of a movie still pisses me off. Idk about everyone else but I have a big distaste for WB and the creatives in charge of running DC. It's crazy how they have one of the most recognizable characters ever and can't properly capitalize. I unironically wish Disney had bought Time Warner in the past since I think they would have done a good job with them but especially with Superman

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

It's criminal that there are not high quality oversized reprints of Silver and Bronze Age Superman stories. Some of the most influential and genre pushing superhero comics ever are being forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    https://www.supermanhomepage.com/gra...dan-didio/amp/

The silver bullet to anyone thinking Didio ever cared about Superman as a character. Jesus Christ.

Thank whichever God is responsible for Morrison.
    This is a guy who threw Dick and Wally, two very popular characters, under the bus because he thought they made their mentors look old. He was more than willing to leave money on the table if it meant he got to turn the main canon into his own personal fan fiction.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I don't want to rain too much on the parade for the fans who are loving the current direction of Superman, but IMO the last 5 years or so was the most disappointing period of my Superman fan life. Too much emphasis on Jon, a couple of duds in the DCEU with no future projects in sight, over-reliance on the Death of Superman in other media, another CW TV show that has no interest to me after a show on Sy Fy that was Superman Minus Superman, Injustice festering like an infected wound, and the upcoming Suicide Squad game that looks cool but only features Superman as an NPC villain (or at least that's what it looks like so far). I guess getting no new TV shows, animated movies, or live-action movies would be worse, but I feel like right now it feels like Superman can only scatter a few singles but not score any runs. All I can rely on is my back-library of Superman material. I also suppose I'm green with envy when some other DC property seems to be getting something interesting.
    Hmm, well if it's any consolation doesn't look like much Injustice content on the immediate horizon given it seems the focus is Gotham Knights, the Hot Topic squad game, and WW. Plus whatever that rumored game from WB Montreal.

Watch them announce it tomorrow, lol.