View Poll Results: Will Bendis restore Clark's past with the classic LSH?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

3 7.14%
  • No.

25 59.52%
  • Not sure.

6 14.29%
  • They'll do it later, but not yet.

8 19.05%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I...never got that impression.

The Batman definitely had a lot of unique takes. Artifacts is pretty good as a DKR tribute.
    I think there's a few interviews out there wherein the producers and writers talk about how they weren't particularly big fans of Robin, but included him because they felt obligated to, which is kind how a lot of them felt about Superman, too.

I'll check out Artifacts and Batman vs Dracula. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    The one where Clark Kent had aventures with when he was boy. That is the foundational myth.

Or you could create more members and replace the line-up with new characters. There it is said than it difficult to vreate new characters, but it is more easy to do in team books, where new characters had to play along with known favorites.

But I like the idea of merge things, but with everything keeping its identity. To see Gears, Computo, Catspawn, XS, Kid Quantum, Tyroc, Invisible Man interacting is a thing I would like to see.
    we had something close to it in the Justice League United. they should have go from there then included more diversity along the way

Retired

I can understand why big name characters like Green Lantern or Supergirl are candidates for diversity. But I don't understand why a Lightning Lad or Ultra Boy need to be, when they can just add more diverse characters with other codenames. The whole argument is that the Legion of Super-Heroes are not well-known anymore and these codenames are not a big draw (they have even changed the codenames of Lightning Lad and Ultra Boy in the past). The less and less well known the Legion becomes, the less and less sense it makes to start at the beginning and try to revamp those old characters. Just add new ones.

Not that I mind the diversity--what colour a production artist chooses for the skin-tone is arbitrary to me--but I just don't see the need for starting all over again with the same characters. That just pushes the team backward, whereas I always wanted the team to go forward--more new members, more developments in the lives of the established characters. It bores me to keep recapitulating the same origins and foundations for the team. It's become the myth of Sisyphus.

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    we had something close to it in the Justice League United. they should have go from there then included more diversity along the way
    That JLU issues would had been an excellent starting point.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Will Bendis restore Superman's history with the Legion? No. Will it happen eventually? I think so.

Those two shows were my fave as a kid too. Legion and The Batman were fantastic. To this day, I still wish LoSH had gotten more seasons, and I was legitimately delighted when the cast got back together for that script-reading last year at Fandome.

I actually also love Justice League Action, though. I love how casually hypercompetent Superman gets in certain episodes, and the whole thing is just very fun.
    JL Action is Teen Titans Go!, but the humour is spot-on and the characters are very good, except for Diana. My only other complaint is that, there was too much BATMAN. That guy was in almost every episode.

Welp, the other shoe has dropped. In the latest issue of Justice League, Clark has his old Legion ring at the Fortress of Solitude.

Astonishing Member

So all supers officially have their own Legion or is Bendis' Legion the only different one meant for Jon?

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    So all supers officially have their own Legion or is Bendis' Legion the only different one meant for Jon?
    No idea. I wouldn't imagine they're going to go into exact detail, but if Clark has a Legion Flight Ring, I see no reason why Kon-El's and Kara's respective Legions wouldn't also be back in play.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

It's more than likely Jon's ring. I mean, why wouldn't it be? That's set before Clark leaves Earth, so he has to leave the keys to the ice Fortress to Jon, thus Jon's likely sharing the Bermuda Triangle Fortress with his dad.

Plus, we just got word that Bendis is working on a Legion adult cartoon that uses his run on Legion. Plus, Waid just remarked how in his Batman/Superman book that is set so far in the past that Lois and Clark aren't married and Dick is still Robin, he has no plans of using the Legion because it's Bendis' Legion and he doesn't connect with the new changes or the new Superman/Superboy.

I doubt it points to Clark or any member of the Superman family aside from Jon (and maybe Kara given the end of issue 12 of Legion) ever being part of the team.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I think it’s just meant as a cool reference rather than recanonizing Clark’s Legion. Of course they could always explain the different Legions with Hypertime
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think it’s just meant as a cool reference rather than recanonizing Clark’s Legion. Of course they could always explain the different Legions with Hypertime
    Wouldn't be the first time .

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

God I hate DC cannon so much right now. The everything is real approach has just been an utter and complete joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    It's more than likely Jon's ring. I mean, why wouldn't it be? That's set before Clark leaves Earth, so he has to leave the keys to the ice Fortress to Jon, thus Jon's likely sharing the Bermuda Triangle Fortress with his dad.

Plus, we just got word that Bendis is working on a Legion adult cartoon that uses his run on Legion. Plus, Waid just remarked how in his Batman/Superman book that is set so far in the past that Lois and Clark aren't married and Dick is still Robin, he has no plans of using the Legion because it's Bendis' Legion and he doesn't connect with the new changes or the new Superman/Superboy.

I doubt it points to Clark or any member of the Superman family aside from Jon (and maybe Kara given the end of issue 12 of Legion) ever being part of the team.
    You're one of those glass half empty kinda guys, aren't you?

I look at it this way. Bendis himself didn't want his LSH to be a reboot. It being a reboot wasn't particularly popular with a lot of fans so there's no upside to sticking with, presumably, Didio's decision to retcon away all previous LSHs when they could easily co-exist as previous incarnations of the team from alternate futures, which Bendis has already established in his LSH run. Furthermore, DC currently has a stated policy of "Everything Happened" in terms of its continuity, which actually means they're just not going to get too specific about the exact details so that fans can fill in the blanks however they want. Clark has a Legion Flight Ring at his Fortress of Solitude. Clark was a fixture of the LSH for decades and removing him from their history was deeply unpopular and caused countless problems for the franchise long-term.

So, what possible reason would Bendis have for not acknowledging that Clark was once part of an earlier incarnation of the LSH at this point? How would that help make Clark's story more interesting? Or Jon's? Or Kara's?

DC has been around and around the whole "All those stories never happened, but these ones did" thing before and it didn't work out very well for them, particularly in regards to the Legion. And Bendis said so when his LSH was first announced. He specifically said that it was not going to invalidate any of the wonderful stuff that Waid, Giffen, or Levitz had done, which is why he planned to set in the 32nd Century.

But, sure, if you want to believe it's just Jon's ring and nothing more, go ahead. I, on the other hand, tend to favor the idea that Bendis is offering an olive branch to fans like myself who enjoyed his new LSH, but were miffed that it was yet another reboot.

Astonishing Member

Can still use legion of another world. Meaning Clark went to another Earths 31st century and joined that Legion.

So every Super character is going to have his/her/their own Legion?