Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Question Whatever happened to the Superior Spider-man?

Hi guys

Whatever happened to the Superior Spider-man?

The last thing hearded is that he was in an alternativeve universe, but then I don't know what happened to him.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

SSM in brief bullet points:

Killed/replaced Peter
    Became an increasingly authoritarian Spider-man
    Failed against Green Goblin and sacrificed himself to return Peter's body
    Mind backed up in Living Brain (pre-sacrifice)
    Pre-sacrifice SSM appears in Spider-Verse (returns to pre-sacrifice time)
    Mind transferred to Otto Octavius clone body
    Sacrificed this clone body to defeat Ben-Jackal
    Transferred mind to Otto/Peter hybrid perfect clone
    Aligned with Hydra to destroy Parker Industries
    Appeared out of nowhere to save May from Red Goblin attack
    Moved to San Francisco to become better hero
    Spider-Geddon (like Spider-Verse but on 616 Earth and not good)
    Fails against evil alternate universe Norman Osborn version of Spider-man
    Deal with Mephisto to turn himself back into classic Doc Ock (possibly no memory of everything after Ends of the Earth) to defeat evil alternate universe Norman Osborn version of Spider-man
    Shows up in Sinister War to release/incapacitate the MANY foes of Spider-man

Honestly, it's been a really fun ride.

I was a huge fan of everything Superior Spider-man and it's definitely worth checking out the whole story if you're interested in seeing Otto's ever twisting tale of villain to hero to anti-hero to villain to hero to villain.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

He was wasted. Such interesting character development... Reverted to being villain of Spider-Man. Again.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    He was wasted. Such interesting character development... Reverted to being villain of Spider-Man. Again.
    If it helps Spencer has shown he hasn't forgotten about it all, and wants gain his memory back.So he's not a villain.
    Now how that is taken in Beyond is to be seen, although he does seem to be helping May and go against Beyond.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    SSM in brief bullet points:

Killed/replaced Peter
    Became an increasingly authoritarian Spider-man
    Failed against Green Goblin and sacrificed himself to return Peter's body
    Mind backed up in Living Brain (pre-sacrifice)
    Pre-sacrifice SSM appears in Spider-Verse (returns to pre-sacrifice time)
    Mind transferred to Otto Octavius clone body
    Sacrificed this clone body to defeat Ben-Jackal
    Transferred mind to Otto/Peter hybrid perfect clone
    Aligned with Hydra to destroy Parker Industries
    Appeared out of nowhere to save May from Red Goblin attack
    Moved to San Francisco to become better hero
    Spider-Geddon (like Spider-Verse but on 616 Earth and not good)
    Fails against evil alternate universe Norman Osborn version of Spider-man
    Deal with Mephisto to turn himself back into classic Doc Ock (possibly no memory of everything after Ends of the Earth) to defeat evil alternate universe Norman Osborn version of Spider-man
    Shows up in Sinister War to release/incapacitate the MANY foes of Spider-man

Honestly, it's been a really fun ride.

I was a huge fan of everything Superior Spider-man and it's definitely worth checking out the whole story if you're interested in seeing Otto's ever twisting tale of villain to hero to anti-hero to villain to hero to villain.
    Near perfect summary.He worked w/Kindred to get his memories back so he does now that something's not right so maybe add that at the end.

This. Sorta. Upcoming covers seem to have him going back to a villain, but I feel they might fake us out.

Still, the ending of Vol 2 of Superior was an absolute insult. So I hope to high hell that they don't just turn him back into a full on villain so we can see Ock vs Spider-Man for the bazillionth time.

Thing is, they don't even need a villainous Otto. He's not the only Doctor Octopus.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Never going to happen. The guy is a classic spidey rogue. Number #2 on the list.

Fact is, Superior was a story with a beginning, middle and end. It should have stayed that way.

The best you can hope for as a anti-hero Ock at this point. But it isn't exactly in his character.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Fact is, Superior was a story with a beginning, middle and end. It should have stayed that way.
    Yes, and I'm of the opinion that even the original Superior run went on longer than needed.
    Not to mention the unfortunate side effect of downgrading Peter in his own game (even if the dubiously conveyed point was that the original Spider-Man was better). Didn't really feel like the book lost those jaded undertones until Spencer took over.

Astonishing Member

I'm a big fan of the Superior Spider-Man. Nobody wrote the character better than Christopher Yost in Avenging Spider-Man and Superior Spider-Man Team-Up. Yost wrote Scarlet Spider (Vol. 2) and New Warriors (2014). Such an underrated comic book writer. Yost also did Avengers: Earth's Mightest Heroes. I thank him for those contributions.

Astonishing Member

If I had my way:

When Otto Octavius transferred himself to a clone body, he'd be still around as the Superior Spider-Man for those who like SSM while those that don't have Peter Parker as Spidey. It was inevitable Otto was going to revert to becoming Doctor Octopus again, he's an iconic villain.

For me the truly iconic villains in comic books:

The Joker #1.
    Ra's al Ghul
    Lex Luthor
    Darkseid
    Doctor Doom
    Green Goblin (Norman Osborn)
    Doctor Octopus
    Magneto
    Loki
    Thanos
    Red Skull

Never going to happen. The guy is a classic spidey rogue. Number #2 on the list.

The best you can hope for as a anti-hero Ock at this point. But it isn't exactly in his character.
    shame if only they can apply that logic to every other comic book
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    If I had my way:

When Otto Octavius transferred himself to a clone body, he'd be still around as the Superior Spider-Man for those who like SSM while those that don't have Peter Parker as Spidey. It was inevitable Otto was going to revert to becoming Doctor Octopus again, he's an iconic villain.

For me the truly iconic villains in comic books:

The Joker #1.
    Ra's al Ghul
    Lex Luthor
    Darkseid
    Doctor Doom
    Green Goblin (Norman Osborn)
    Doctor Octopus
    Magneto
    Loki
    Thanos
    Red Skull
    I would add Galactus and Cletus to that list. For me there are two kinds of villains: Those who do not have a shred of decency about them such as Darkseid, Red Skull, Joker and Cletus, and those who still have some honor and ( or) decency within them: Magneto, Doom and Otto come to mind. I prefer the second grouping because there is a glimmer of hope they can turn out okay ( see Eddie Brock or Victor in an AU), and I prefer a happy ending. Someone like Red Skull or Cletus. They are so rotten you just want them to spend eternity with Mephisto ( after first receiving a major ass kicking they will never forget)

Fantastic Member

Status quo is king, but the end of SSM vol 2 irked me the most because the series is all about Otto growing as a person and becoming a better. That scene of him breaking down with Parker over not being able to save everyone during War of the Realms was amazing.

Then the final issue rolls in with yet another Mesphisto asspull reverting everything back to classic Ock, and the idea of him changing again seems unlikely for awhile but seems like they're just going to constantly dangle the chance he might like they dangle OMD acknowledgement.

What makes it especially a waste though is that they just full on reverted him to factory default. At very least they could have compromised by having him abandon the title of Spider-Man and become Doc Ock with the Superior Octopus look. That was a genuinely great look for him and they threw it away.