Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

There is a way they can bring Superior back. Suppose he Otto didn't delete himself at the end of the first Superior run. Instead, he only appeared to delete himself, but instead, transferred his consciousness elsewhere, similar to how he survived at the end of Spider-verse. So now he's been biding his time while volume 2 Superior is having his adventures, maybe curious to see how this version of him turns out. After volume 2 Superior makes his deal with Mephisto, volume 1 Superior decides to come back feeling that his other self has wasted the chance he was given, and needs to make things right again,

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    There is a way they can bring Superior back. Suppose he Otto didn't delete himself at the end of the first Superior run. Instead, he only appeared to delete himself, but instead, transferred his consciousness elsewhere, similar to how he survived at the end of Spider-verse. So now he's been biding his time while volume 2 Superior is having his adventures, maybe curious to see how this version of him turns out. After volume 2 Superior makes his deal with Mephisto, volume 1 Superior decides to come back feeling that his other self has wasted the chance he was given, and needs to make things right again,
    Way too much clone saga like for my taste, moreover it also takes away vol 2 ock, which was imo the best one.

That reminds me. That's another annoying thing about how this all went down. Vol 2 was Otto purely changing on his own. It wasn't some magic event like the one that Inverted some heroes and villains a few years back. It was Otto Octavius changing the world for the better on his own.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    An Alternate SpOck...hmmmm. That's a good idea. It could also set up a Superior vs Doc Ock type storyline. I want to say one of the mobile games teased that, but I dunno if anything came from it.

Ironically, while Slott may have been an Ock fanboy, Gage wrote him the best. He wrote him as a man trying to redeem himself, even with all of his flaws whereas Slott wrote him mostly as a villain playing Spider-Man.
    Yeah, the mobile game you were referring to was Spider-Man Unlimited, which actually had a pretty epic trailer setting up Superior Spider-Man vs. Doctor Octopus, with Doctor Octopus condemning Superior as a traitor and a coward. Would have been interesting to see in action in the comics proper.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, the mobile game you were referring to was Spider-Man Unlimited, which actually had a pretty epic trailer setting up Superior Spider-Man vs. Doctor Octopus, with Doctor Octopus condemning Superior as a traitor and a coward. Would have been interesting to see in action in the comics proper.
    Especially when you consider back when he first became Spider-Man and raided one of his old hideouts, his attitude was basically "Good lord, was I always this ridiculous??" It set up an interesting dynamic that was never really followed on. But yeah, that trailer was epic.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    Especially when you consider back when he first became Spider-Man and raided one of his old hideouts, his attitude was basically "Good lord, was I always this ridiculous??" It set up an interesting dynamic that was never really followed on. But yeah, that trailer was epic.
    Ah, yeah. He had a whole recording of himself set up to taunt any intruders into his lair. That was pretty funny, come to think of it.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Way too much clone saga like for my taste, moreover it also takes away vol 2 ock, which was imo the best one.
    Way too much clone saga, that's funny considering the convoluted path it took in Clone Conspiracy to get Otto to Superior volume 2. Considering we know there was at least one spare Tolliver body left (as seen in the 2nd volume final issue) it would be a simple matter of downloading whichever Otto's brain patterns to another spare.

Extraordinary Member

Way too much clone saga, that's funny considering the convoluted path it took in Clone Conspiracy to get Otto to Superior volume 2. Considering we know there was at least one spare Tolliver body left (as seen in the 2nd volume final issue) it would be a simple matter of downloading whichever Otto's brain patterns to another spare.
    Yeah, but that's behind us.Clone conspiracy isn't looked as a good story anyway.
    Moreover if they do go that route, they should save the Ock right before mephisto.Vol 2 had all the good character development.

I really enjoyed Superior Spider-Man and that take on Ock. It showcased his flaws pretty deeply and gave him some fun growth, all the while letting Ock ham it up as a silver-age super villain playing Spider-Man. It was, frequently, hilarious.

Of the three original voices for SpOck, I liked Yost's the best, followed by the Gage-Slott team ups in issues like 'No Escape'.

That said, I'm ready for SSM to be left in the past. I'm not really big on multiple copies of the same hero n the first place. It'll be nice to revisit it eventually in some capacity but, instead, lets focus on what happens next to Ock. I've argued before: Ock's a good, visually dynamic character. Let him be Ock, and put him in charge of his own team of researchers investigating super science based mysteries. Let him fight corporations and rival science villains and be a proactive jackass. It'd be fun!
    Last edited by Tendrin; 09-19-2021 at 10:45 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I really enjoyed Superior Spider-Man and that take on Ock. It showcased his flaws pretty deeply and gave him some fun growth, all the while letting Ock ham it up as a silver-age super villain playing Spider-Man. It was, frequently, hilarious.

Of the three original voices for SpOck, I liked Yost's the best, followed by the Gage-Slott team ups in issues like 'No Escape'.

That said, I'm ready for SSM to be left in the past. I'm not really big on multiple copies of the same hero n the first place. It'll be nice to revisit it eventually in some capacity but, instead, lets focus on what happens next to Ock. I've argued before: Ock's a good, visually dynamic character. Let him be Ock, and put him in charge of his own team of researchers investigating super science based mysteries. Let him fight corporations and rival science villains and be a proactive jackass. It'd be fun!
    This. I couldn't agree more. Superior was a fun take. However it is one that needs to be left in the past. I loved Eric Masterson as Thor as a kid, but it isn't something I'm clamouring to see more of.

What Marvel needs to do is find something new for Otto to do from here on out.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    This. I couldn't agree more. Superior was a fun take. However it is one that needs to be left in the past. I loved Eric Masterson as Thor as a kid, but it isn't something I'm clamouring to see more of.

What Marvel needs to do is find something new for Otto to do from here on out.
    I dunno. The same that you're saying about Masterson and SpOck could also apply to Ben Reilly as Spider-Man, and yet it's happening again and Ben fans are hyped (and plenty of non-Ben fans aren't). I think Ock could be split into two personas, one encompassing his damaged, morally corrupt part and one the scientist looking for redemption. And maybe the latter could be reborn as Superior Octopus or something. No reason Eric can't come back as Thunderstrike either while we're on the topic imo.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I dunno. The same that you're saying about Masterson and SpOck could also apply to Ben Reilly as Spider-Man, and yet it's happening again and Ben fans are hyped (and plenty of non-Ben fans aren't). I think Ock could be split into two personas, one encompassing his damaged, morally corrupt part and one the scientist looking for redemption. And maybe the latter could be reborn as Superior Octopus or something. No reason Eric can't come back as Thunderstrike either while we're on the topic imo.
    Okay, but it was twenty years before Ben Reilly became Spider-Man again. Let SSM recede into the rear view far enough that its return will be a welcome surprise, you know?

I'm not saying 20 years, but let Ock do something as Ock for a while.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Carolyn Trainer uses Lady Octopus now.

Was she in Superior Spider-Man? I don't remember seeing her. But sure, definitely a non-Otto Octavius Octopus villain... or something. She's a bit... hazy in allegiance sometimes
    No. I think Stunner was tho. How the heck did she even come back?
    "Cable was right!"

if he never comes back, I'm fine with that. not into Lex-as-Superman characters.. flat out..

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    No. I think Stunner was tho. How the heck did she even come back?
    Oooh... Stunner was one of Lady Octopus's co-horts!. interesting era of Spider-villains to use.