Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Or use their knowledge of Cyclops brain to completely shut down an entire army,

She has not been put in a position to do this, though I am sure she would handle it with aplomb, but she has used her knowledge of Scott's mind, gained through their psi-link, to both disrupt the bond with and exorcise Apocalypse from him:

Again, I disagree. Jean would most certainly either power through it by engaging Sinister in psychic combat or would wait for the opportunity to strike.

She was able to awaken, communicate with, link, and coordinate the moves of several characters (including Thor, Storm, Dr. Strange, and Spiderman) both assaulted by and under the influence of Knull, the Symbiote God, without being detected, before revealing herself to and ransacking his mind. (I really do which I could post all 8+ pages of her work in this issue because they are a testament to her unparalleled skill.)

Those are not new psychic maneuvers. Those are basic psychic maneuvers done at more powerful levels. The feats are impressive because Jean did it to a cosmic being, not because they are skilled psychic maneuvers that no average telepath has ever done before. I can name telepaths as low as Sage who have concealed their presence, communicated, and attacked other beings.

It’s the “who she did it to” that makes it impressive, not the “what she did”.

Oh, I've been wanting to tango again with you, PyroFN, for quite some time...

(I'm just teasing and having fun, lol!)

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    Okay, but it’s not the fact that she was mind-controlling someone. It’s the fact that she used Toad to link her powers to Cerebra. Jean can theoretically replicate it based on her transferring her telekinesis, but there is no reason Jean would ever think to do this. Thus, this skill set is not gonna be something Jean knows how to do. I am never a fan of assuming someone knows how to do something unless there is a clear basis for it.

Jean has the capability of transferring her powers, but why would Jean think of controlling someone in this way? A good chunk about acquiring new skills is in what you learn, experience, and how you problem solve. There is no way Jean would approach a problem and think to control someone to put on a Cerebro helmet for Jean to funnel her powers into it and use it through them. That is what I mean. Thus, Emma gains that skillset by thinking outside the box.
    First, Emma mind-controlled Toad. Done. She used him as an avatar and a conduit for her own power, puppeteering him to Cerebra so that she could access and use it. Second, how are you so sure Jean "would never think to do this"? Has she been written saying or admitting to such a thing? Third, I think it takes more skill to absorb the knowledge of another person, especially an expert in their field, to then do something (e.g., pilot a shuttle, perform surgery) that you have no innate nor learned skills and have never had any experience doing before than it does to simply control someone.

My bottom line is this: It doesn't take much skill, especially for a telepath of Jean's, or Emma's, for that matter, skill and power level to mind control someone. Now, to be willing to mind-control someone on a whim does take a measure of ruthlessness that is totally characteristic of Emma. She's had a hand in mind-controlling people since her first appearance during the Dark Phoenix Saga. Nevertheless, I don't believe mind control is outside of Jean's skillset.

Again, I disagree. Jean would most certainly either power through it by engaging Sinister in psychic combat or would wait for the opportunity to strike.
    I disagree. Also, the only real advantage I see Emma having in that scene is knowing Scott's mind, which Jean knows better.

Those are not new psychic maneuvers. Those are basic psychic maneuvers done at more powerful levels. The feats are impressive because Jean did it to a cosmic being, not because they are skilled psychic maneuvers that no average telepath has ever done before. I can name telepaths as low as Sage who have concealed their presence, communicated, and attacked other beings.

It’s the “who she did it to” that makes it impressive, not the “what she did”.
    No, it's the "who she did it to" that is a testament to her skill, making it clear and undeniable. It takes great skill and power to carry out the stealth operation she carried out, especially under a cosmic being's - a God's - nose, before ransacking his mind. Someone who is just a "sledgehammer" certainly wouldn't be capable of operating with the delicacy and precision she does in that sequence. However, it is also very impressive.

Also, please do name the "other telepaths" who have not only been able to conceal their presence from an omniscient being while communicating with others in the process of being assaulted by said being but also while linking them all together to coordinate an attack on said being before revealing themselves to and ransacking the mind of said being.

(Also, I still love you, PyroFN!)

Most powerful telepath is Martha - FITE ME
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

Oh, I've been wanting to tango again with you, PyroFN, for quite some time...

(I'm just teasing and having fun, lol!)

First, Emma mind-controlled Toad. Done. She used him as an avatar and a conduit for her own power, puppeteering him to Cerebra so that she could access and use it. Second, how are you so sure Jean "would never think to do this"? Has she been written saying or admitting to such a thing? Third, I think it takes more skill to absorb the knowledge of another person, especially an expert in their field, to then do something (e.g., pilot a shuttle, perform surgery) that you have no innate nor learned skills and have never had any experience doing before than it does to simply control someone.

My bottom line is this: It doesn't take much skill, especially for a telepath of Jean's, or Emma's, for that matter, skill and power level to mind control someone. Now, to be willing to mind-control someone on a whim does take a measure of ruthlessness that is totally characteristic of Emma. She's had a hand in mind-controlling people since her first appearance during the Dark Phoenix Saga. Nevertheless, I don't believe mind control is outside of Jean's skillset.

I disagree. Also, the only real advantage I see Emma having in that scene is knowing Scott's mind, which Jean knows better.

No, it's the "who she did it to" that is a testament to her skill, making it clear and undeniable. It takes great skill and power to carry out the stealth operation she carried out, especially under a cosmic being's - a God's - nose, before ransacking his mind. Someone who is just a "sledgehammer" certainly wouldn't be capable of operating with the delicacy and precision she does in that sequence. However, it is also very impressive.

Also, please do name the "other telepaths" who have not only been able to conceal their presence from an omniscient being while communicating with others in the process of being assaulted by said being but also while linking them all together to coordinate an attack on said being before revealing themselves to and ransacking the mind of said being.

(Also, I still love you, PyroFN!)
    I know, I’m pretty great. (Lol, jk. I don’t think that highly of me.)

Anyways, I say Jean wouldn’t think of what Emma did to Toad based on her characterization in regards to mind-control, Xavier’s style of telepathy, and finally Jean’s style. If Jean were in Emma’s shoes, she would not use Cerebra with Toad. She would probably do without Cerebra. If we were to really go into a gray area where Jean will cross lines, she would probably use other people on the planet as her eyes and ears. Try to pick up some sort of thought-description of a wandering red-headed girl amongst the crowds, which would take a really long time, but that is the kind of thing she would do. That is what she would do in my eyes. Her style is not to use other people as her tools as a choice.

As for Jean absorbing knowledge. I mean, absorbing knowledge is not something unique to Jean. Many telepaths have done it before. In fact, Xavier did it in school to get ahead. Emma did the same thing in grade-school. The way Jean applies it is smart, but not incredibly out of the ordinary for a psychic unless they are a novice.

You think Jean would think to use her knowledge of the weakness of another’s mind to her advantage? That’s not in-character for Jean at all.

Yes, Emma’s advantage was knowing Scott’s mind, but unlike any other telepath, only she would use her knowledge of their mindscape as a form of an attack. That’s the kind of thing you would expect from Onslaught using Xavier’s knowledge. Not someone who gets mad at a telepath for peering into a mind uninvited.

They aren’t skilled maneuvers though. They are very basic maneuvers every trained telepath know already. It’s the, again, the comparison of lesser telepaths doing the same thing at weaker levels. You are basically saying a basic maneuver done to a god is the same skill level as coming up with a completely new telepathic attack that has never been done before by any before and since.

The way Jean applies these abilities is smart, not skilled. She is a skilled telepath, but noting basic maneuvers does not highlight her skill in my opinion really. If I wanted to highlight Jean’s skill, I would say things like her New X-Men feat of breaking a mind up and spreading it across multiple people so that they come together as a trap. Or funneling the psychic energy she collected and using it to amp her telekinesis. Or using her telepathy to create decoys in the mind of Magneto so that he can’t track her movements in his head as she uses the back-doors of his mind.

Those kinds of things are unique and not easily replicated. Mind-reading, communication, concealment, and basic attacking does not instill that Jean is among the most skilled in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    Most powerful telepath is Martha - FITE ME
    If Martha is the most skilled, the Cuckoo’s are goddesses among mere mortals.

If Martha is the most skilled, the Cuckoo’s are goddesses among mere mortals.

Lmao, my comment was made in jest. I just remembered her being in a jar. Respect the jar!

And I'm confused with this scan. Quentin didn't have enough juice to break through at least one of their defenses?
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

The Red Dragon

No mind control involved, but Jean channels her powers thru x-23 who is wearing cerebro while simultaneously linking her team to get rid of countless nannintes.

Once again Jean is not a goody two shoes. She would absolutely use the weakness of another’s mind to her advantage. Here she discovers the mental key to unlock the alien weaknesses and takes down huge waves of an alien army. Not only is she able to figure out the key to unlock their mental defenses, they’re alien minds too. Unlike minds like Scott which Emma and her would be familiar with.

Bonus: she absorbs the brunt of Wolverine and Thunderbird’s exhaustion to allow then to perform at peak pretty much indefinitely.

Last edited by Tank; 09-21-2021 at 08:30 PM.

You are basically saying a basic maneuver done to a god… Mind-reading, communication, concealment, and basic attacking does not instill that Jean is among the most skilled in my eyes.
    It was not a “basic maneuver,” though, it was several maneuvers, including coordinating and leading an entire makeshift team to attack a god while remaining undetected, before raiding said god’s mind. Those are several simultaneous maneuvers that require a high level of skill to execute so swiftly and smoothly. And I’m not sure it’s been done before, either.

Incidentally, I was literally just reading this issue half an hour ago before seeing your comment about “a goddess amongst men”! ��

Last edited by Mercury; 09-21-2021 at 08:26 PM.

The Red Dragon

Jean is able to set slow, delayed triggers as well. She set up a defense trigger in jessica jones mind to help her deal with purple man YEARS after their initial encounter and was able to psychically be aware of when it was triggered.

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Jean is able to set slow, delayed triggers as well. She set up a defense trigger in jessica jones mind to help her deal with purple man YEARS after their initial encounter and was able to psychically be aware of when it was triggered.
    What issue of Alias is this from again? Must hunt for it.

What issue of Alias is this from again? Must hunt for it.
    Is the final issue (#28) she appears in the #26 too. It's a brief moment but one of my favorites, and it's not even from an x-book. I just loved that Jessica got support from Jean in her procces to heal from trauma.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    Is the final issue (#28) she appears in the #26 too. It's a brief moment but one of my favorites, and it's not even from an x-book. I just loved that Jessica got support from Jean in her procces to heal from trauma.
    I just found and read both sequences before seeing your post. Of course, Brian Michael Bendis wrote this. His is one of my favorite renderings of Jean.

The Red Dragon

As a testament to Jean’s skill and expertise with the mind, she taught Scott how to create a black box in his mind that Emma has no clue what it is, deflects all her thoughts and she can barely touch it.

Tank, I just want to say 😘