Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    In one story Selene actually claimed the real mutant power she had was matter manipulation
    I *think* her mutant power was meant to be the ability to draw out and utilize life-force. Originally, just to feed/heal/youthen/strengthen herself, but later to impart into an unliving thing to make it animate and move and shape it. (So every time she reshapes matter, that's some dude she killed to do that, just like all those people whose lives she drained to live all these centuries...)

All the rest, including the telepathy, seems to be sorcerous training. (Since many other Marvel magic-users like Dr. Strange and Dr. Druid also 'learn' telepathy and astral projection and hypnotism as part of their magical training, that follows, at least.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I *think* her mutant power was meant to be the ability to draw out and utilize life-force. Originally, just to feed/heal/youthen/strengthen herself, but later to impart into an unliving thing to make it animate and move and shape it. (So every time she reshapes matter, that's some dude she killed to do that, just like all those people whose lives she drained to live all these centuries...)

All the rest, including the telepathy, seems to be sorcerous training. (Since many other Marvel magic-users like Dr. Strange and Dr. Druid also 'learn' telepathy and astral projection and hypnotism as part of their magical training, that follows, at least.)
    All major magic users in Marvel also have telekinesis and can fly. So it very well could be Selene’s mutant powers were originally just life force draining and matter manipulation. It’s worth saying telepathy end telekinesis are standards powers among gods and immortals. Apocalypse has telepathic and telekinesis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    All major magic users in Marvel also have telekinesis and can fly. So it very well could be Selene’s mutant powers were originally just life force draining and matter manipulation. It’s worth saying telepathy end telekinesis are standards powers among gods and immortals. Apocalypse has telepathic and telekinesis.
    Hell, what power doesn't Apocalypse have?
    Last edited by Micabe; 10-03-2021 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    It’s worth saying telepathy end telekinesis are standards powers among gods and immortals.
    I believe Jean was Marvel's first telepathic/telekinetic character, i.e., the first character of theirs that had both powers. I also think she was Marvel's first telekinetic character. #blueprint

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Ha. So true. He *was* just stretchy-indestructible kid, but he's more or less made himself into an Eternal with his various Celestial upgrades over the millenia.

Hmm I don't think he has the ability to rewrite the DNA of others?

Yeah he has a REALLY long list of powers he can do, even if he rarely does them. But for a man thousands of years old who has learned ways to use his powers, it's not that weird.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Hmm I don't think he has the ability to rewrite the DNA of others?

Yeah he has a REALLY long list of powers he can do, even if he rarely does them. But for a man thousands of years old who has learned ways to use his powers, it's not that weird.
    Hmm... I don't know about that. En Sabah Nur did turn Ozymandias from flesh and blood to stone as seen in Rise of Apocalypse #4.

Astonishing Member

the telepathy of Selene is like the telepathy of Dr Strange or Dr Druid, learned because of magical knowledge. And her telepathy was overpowered easily by Xavier in the 80s, when he had regained the ability to walk and Rachel was an xman

Her mutant power is stealing life force to be inmortal, and to control matter, like when she turns the floor into a concrete fist that grabs her enemies

Marvel described selene’s powers in his official handbooks, no need for conjectures

Powers/Abilities: Selene is a mutant and a sorceress with a multitude of super human abilities, including extremely long life, which she can sustain by psionically draining the life force from other beings. When she drains the full life force from a person, the victim's body crumples in a heap of dust. Selene generally drains life through touch, but she can absorb the energies of those who die near her as well and can kill others from a distance as well. Selene can sense the energy released from the death of others. By only partially draining the life force of others, Selene can place them under her psionic control, or turn them into "energy vampires" like herself, also subject to her control. Upon touch, Selene can also release the hidden inhibitions of others, turning them into more savage or base versions of themselves. If Selene goes without new energy for too long or if she expends too much of her own energy, she quickly ages into an ancient wrinkled woman until she drains more energy.

Selene is highly resistant to injury. She can withstand being submerged in hot lava, bullet wounds, and knife wounds, claiming not to have a heart. She has enhanced strength, stamina, speed, and reaction time. Selene possesses telekinetic abilities that allow her complete control over inanimate objects and fire. She can reform inanimate objects into various shapes and animate them by projecting a portion of her life force into them. This control can by very precise, such as covering subjects in a layer of rock, or massive, such as the moving of a mountain. She can also disintegrate inanimate objects, but has no control over organic objects or beings and can not rearrange molecular matter.

Selene possesses telepathic abilities as well, able to read the thoughts of others (who don't have psychic defenses), sense others, and project her thoughts into the minds of others, even over vast distances. Selene can momentarily hypnotize others even while briefly increasing her speed, making those around her think she has disappeared. In addition, Selene's mind is resistant to telepathic attacks and magic spells meant to affect the memory.

Selene has been known to use magical spells to various effects. The effects include enhanced mystical knowledge, the summoning of demons and entities, manipulation of various artifacts (including mystic jewelry and runestaffs), teleportation across the world, fire energy blasts, disguise her appearance (as she has as Magma and as an old woman), disguise the appearance of others (as she made Magma look like her), and restrain others in mystic bands. Recently Selene developed the ability to meld with shadow. She can become intangible at will, manipulate and elongate in order to ensnare others, and meld herself in shadow.

Selene was once seemingly killed by having her energy dissipated but she was preserved by having her consciousness bonded to air molecules and contained in a sealed room; she was later restored to life by the Enchantress.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Hmm... I don't know about that. En Sabah Nur did turn Ozymandias from flesh and blood to stone as seen in Rise of Apocalypse #4.

Yeah, but that alludes to the use of "Rama-tut's unfathomable technology". How much is using a machine to do it and how much is Apoccy's powers?

No matter what they are going to try to sell you on, Nate is still the only one that has actually pulled off what happens in X-Man #69.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Marvel described selene’s powers in his official handbooks, no need for conjectures

Powers/Abilities: Selene is a mutant and a sorceress with a multitude of super human abilities, including extremely long life, which she can sustain by psionically draining the life force from other beings. When she drains the full life force from a person, the victim's body crumples in a heap of dust. Selene generally drains life through touch, but she can absorb the energies of those who die near her as well and can kill others from a distance as well. Selene can sense the energy released from the death of others. By only partially draining the life force of others, Selene can place them under her psionic control, or turn them into "energy vampires" like herself, also subject to her control. Upon touch, Selene can also release the hidden inhibitions of others, turning them into more savage or base versions of themselves. If Selene goes without new energy for too long or if she expends too much of her own energy, she quickly ages into an ancient wrinkled woman until she drains more energy.

Selene is highly resistant to injury. She can withstand being submerged in hot lava, bullet wounds, and knife wounds, claiming not to have a heart. She has enhanced strength, stamina, speed, and reaction time. Selene possesses telekinetic abilities that allow her complete control over inanimate objects and fire. She can reform inanimate objects into various shapes and animate them by projecting a portion of her life force into them. This control can by very precise, such as covering subjects in a layer of rock, or massive, such as the moving of a mountain. She can also disintegrate inanimate objects, but has no control over organic objects or beings and can not rearrange molecular matter.

Selene possesses telepathic abilities as well, able to read the thoughts of others (who don't have psychic defenses), sense others, and project her thoughts into the minds of others, even over vast distances. Selene can momentarily hypnotize others even while briefly increasing her speed, making those around her think she has disappeared. In addition, Selene's mind is resistant to telepathic attacks and magic spells meant to affect the memory.

Selene has been known to use magical spells to various effects. The effects include enhanced mystical knowledge, the summoning of demons and entities, manipulation of various artifacts (including mystic jewelry and runestaffs), teleportation across the world, fire energy blasts, disguise her appearance (as she has as Magma and as an old woman), disguise the appearance of others (as she made Magma look like her), and restrain others in mystic bands. Recently Selene developed the ability to meld with shadow. She can become intangible at will, manipulate and elongate in order to ensnare others, and meld herself in shadow.

Selene was once seemingly killed by having her energy dissipated but she was preserved by having her consciousness bonded to air molecules and contained in a sealed room; she was later restored to life by the Enchantress.
    This. I am correct when I described her powers. Characters tend to change over time.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    No matter what they are going to try to sell you on, Nate is still the only one that has actually pulled off what happens in X-Man #69.
    The people selling are the people who dictate the story. Nate has raw power, but he lacks the skill to compete with Jean or Xavier.

And there are plenty of things the high tiers have done that Nate has never ever performed before. Nate is still a young man who does not know the full extent of his abilities. He cannot take the most powerful telepath spot without full knowledge as to what he is capable of.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    the telepathy of Selene is like the telepathy of Dr Strange or Dr Druid, learned because of magical knowledge. And her telepathy was overpowered easily by Xavier in the 80s, when he had regained the ability to walk and Rachel was an xman

Her mutant power is stealing life force to be inmortal, and to control matter, like when she turns the floor into a concrete fist that grabs her enemies
    Except all of powers grow if she eats enough life forces. In that sense it doesn’t matter which of her powers are mutant or magical.

baumblume

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    The people selling are the people who dictate the story. Nate has raw power, but he lacks the skill to compete with Jean or Xavier.

And there are plenty of things the high tiers have done that Nate has never ever performed before. Nate is still a young man who does not know the full extent of his abilities. He cannot take the most powerful telepath spot without full knowledge as to what he is capable of.
    His powers were so powerful that they were meant to kill him and he had little control over them.Nate's could never reach there level because his genes were designed to kill him or cause a burn out of his powers