Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    WAIT WTF?! That bridge connecting Bludhaven and Gotham across the Gotham Bay shouldn't exist, it should be a highway! Bludhaven is not Burnside. It should be at least 2 hours away, not 2 minutes.
    Isn’t it the Jersey City to Gotham’s New York? A bridge is exactly what separates those two.

As we’ve seen earlier in the run, people jump from Gotham to Bludhaven with extraordinary ease. It’s pretty clearly in the same metropolitan area.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
    Isn’t it the Jersey City to Gotham’s New York? A bridge is exactly what separates those two.

As we’ve seen earlier in the run, people jump from Gotham to Bludhaven with extraordinary ease. It’s pretty clearly in the same metropolitan area.
    I’d assume it was a 30 min drive by highway for a civilian 10 mins or less by batglider or plane.
    Who know what tunnels they have

There’s no bridge from Jersey City to NYC. There’s the Holland Tunnel and the PATH train if you want to count that.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I really hate that the plot developed at the start of this run is being torpedoed by this terrible event.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I really hate that the plot developed at the start of this run is being torpedoed by this terrible event.
    Which has been the case for every solo Nightwing run ever. You get half a year in and then it's "Cataclysm" or "Court of Owls/Death of the Family" or now "Fear State". Par for the course. Within those constraints I liked the issue, it serves as a quick recap and a quick Batman then Batgirl team-up, so if this fit into a collected run it'll at least feel like an intermission or "this is the part where I jump over and we check in on the status quo of my friend/ally relationships". The guest art was nice, it's a ... suitable, because Batgirls isn't out yet ... place to debut Barbara's new costume, brings back Clancy, etcetera.

I wouldn't call it torpedoed or derailed yet, especially if Taylor can use it to buy Redondo some time for "Full Solid Arc # 2". I'd just say it's a detour. But it certainly is the usual "oh look, crossover interrupts things" cliche and shouldn't be let off easy.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Which has been the case for every solo Nightwing run ever. You get half a year in and then it's "Cataclysm" or "Court of Owls/Death of the Family" or now "Fear State". Par for the course. Within those constraints I liked the issue, it serves as a quick recap and a quick Batman then Batgirl team-up, so if this fit into a collected run it'll at least feel like an intermission or "this is the part where I jump over and we check in on the status quo of my friend/ally relationships". The guest art was nice, it's a ... suitable, because Batgirls isn't out yet ... place to debut Barbara's new costume, brings back Clancy, etcetera.

I wouldn't call it torpedoed or derailed yet, especially if Taylor can use it to buy Redondo some time for "Full Solid Arc # 2". I'd just say it's a detour. But it certainly is the usual "oh look, crossover interrupts things" cliche and shouldn't be let off easy.
    I just don't have the energy to support bad events
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Member when Barbra could hack anyone and was dc leading hacker... I don't think dc dose

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Member when Barbra could hack anyone and was dc leading hacker... I don't think dc dose
    Eh, it's okay that she'd have a rival.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Remember when the Batfamily could communicate with one another with out needing Oracle to do it for them.

Their use of Oracle since they brought her back has been awful. She's just back to do all the lame lazy **** Oracle writers eventually realized she needed to be above.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Remember when the Batfamily could communicate with one another with out needing Oracle to do it for them.

Their use of Oracle since they brought her back has been awful. She's just back to do all the lame lazy **** Oracle writers eventually realized she needed to be above.
    Well, it's not like communication was that great before Oracle came back.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

No, Bludhaven is Atlantic City to wherever Gotham is, which is up north and inspired by New York, but not as far north as New York. They're different cities, and Bludhaven, while not as large as Gotham, is almost as long. It's not a small town size. That's Burnside.

Well apparently in this run it is. I wasn't supposed to.

No, Bludhaven is Atlantic City to wherever Gotham is, which is up north and inspired by New York, but not as far north as New York. They're different cities, and Bludhaven, while not as large as Gotham, is almost as long. It's not a small town size. That's Burnside.

Eh, geography has never been DC's strong suit.

Incredible Member

I liked it. Less so than a typical issue due to it feeling like an obligatory crossover to a story that I am not a huge fan of. But I loved seeing Clancy and thought the interaction between Dick and Bruce was really solid. They felt like equals. Not a fan of Robbi`s art and there was a little too much narration for my taste.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    There’s no bridge from Jersey City to NYC. There’s the Holland Tunnel and the PATH train if you want to count that.
    This is true, thanks for the correction. I was indeed counting both Holland and Lincoln tunnels, though my point was that the distance was small - a river, the same as what separates Bludhaven and Gotham.

While Bludhaven has some elements of Atlantic City, most of that came recently, from what I think was the Seeley run. It doesn’t alter how close they were, nor moves Bludhaven further away. If my memory serves me right, they were also close by in Dixon’s run, and later in the Tim Drake Robin run.

If it serves as any confirmation, CBR states the distance to be around 30 minutes. Comic Vine describes it as Gotham's "sister city", just South along the river. Taylor's run follows all of that.

As for the issue, I liked it. There was too much exposition to get us up to speed on the main Batman plot, and the art was jarring after such perfection from Redondo. But the teamup with Bruce was great, and having him finally acknowledge aloud that he sees Dick as his son is a nice buildup from Alfred's letter earlier in the run. Very excited for the team-up with Babs next month - as far as I'm concerned, she can keep being both Oracle and Batgirl.

Astonishing Member

As a crossover issue with a different artist, this was fine - it's Dick we follow rather than being dropped into another story, the art was quite nice and felt more like a "guest" than a "fill-in". But the problem is that Fear State just isn't hugely interesting - so in real terms, the issue was an unusually length build-up to a scene of Nightwing and Batman fighting some robot-guys. But I liked the scene of them fighting the robot guys, so I don't mind - hopefully the next couple of issues will find a bit more meat when it comes to Seer/the role of the Batgirls.

Also, I still haven't been able to work out if Taylor is deliberately showing an awkward tension between Dick and Bruce in their relationship at the moment or if this is just how he writes them generally.