Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, it's not like communication was that great before Oracle came back.
    It was fine. Its something thats pedestrian. They all know how to use cell phones. Now they cut off Oracle and they can't communicate with one another. Its nonsense. They are literally dumbing down modern technology to make Oracle relevant, doing something that she shouldn't be wasting her time doing for them anyway.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-21-2021 at 03:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    It was fine. Its something thats pedestrian. They all know how to use cell phones. Now they cut off Oracle and they can't communicate with one another. Its nonsense. They are literally dumbing down modern technology to make Oracle relevant, doing something that she shouldn't be wasting her time doing for them anyway.
    Except the police, government agencies and probably criminals can easily tap into cell phones. Sure they could use some kind of code over texts but what was provided by Oracle was a super powered level of secure communication.
    Could the batcomputer do it on its own? Probably but narratively its better to have some character do it.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Agree to disagree.

This was OK. I'm a big mark for the OG Dynamic Duo, so there was a nice bit of fan service in there for me. It's clearly filler though. The art was perfectly serviceable. There was one weird panel where Dick had an absolutely massive arse, it was perfectly normal in most panels then BAM!

I'm on the fence about Babs new suit. It looked really baggy and ill fitting. I'll reserve judgement till I see a few different artists interpretations.

Tom Taylor is getting a bit of abuse on twitter for his perceived ableism. I feel kind of sorry for him. I don't think he was remotely involved in the decision to make Babs able to walk again.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Except the police, government agencies and probably criminals can easily tap into cell phones. Sure they could use some kind of code over texts but what was provided by Oracle was a super powered level of secure communication.
    Could the batcomputer do it on its own? Probably but narratively its better to have some character do it.
    There’s apps for that. There are burner phones. There’s radio. Hell there’s Twitter. Narratively it’s outdated. There’s no need for a super powered operator. They realized that with Oracle over a decade ago. And it’s not like Oracle is even being shown to being particularly secure.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-21-2021 at 07:21 PM.

Nightwing is one of the best books out there but I hope getting sucked into this Bat event won’t kill its momentum. I really couldn’t care less about the Magistrate and what’s going on in Gotham but this issue did have some fun moments. Always nice seeing the original Dynamic Duo fighting back to back again. Really happy to see Babs put on a costume again. Definitely prefer her as Batgirl.

There’s apps for that. There are burner phones. There’s radio. Hell there’s Twitter. Narratively it’s outdated. There’s no need for a super powered operator. They realized that with Oracle over a decade ago. And it’s not like Oracle is even being shown to being particularly secure.
    Some of that sounds more contrived than just using Oracle. At least to me.

Characters being dumbed down or outright acting like morons is common trope when writer wants to showcase intelligence or importance of another character. We see it often in Batman/Superman team ups where Superman is not able to grasp basic things. As for Oracle, Oracle made sense in nineties when internet and modern communication in general was taking off. Not many people had much experience with it yet and we didn't really knew how it would develop. Today its an outdated concept on multiple levels that requires others to act dumb and leads to predictable "oh no, someone hacked Oracle's systems" story lines.

Unfortunately we are going to keep getting these stories because to some Barbara is Oracle.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Some of that sounds more contrived than just using Oracle. At least to me.
    Yeah, and none of that is super secure...or else that's what militaries and spy agencies would be using.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    Tom Taylor is getting a bit of abuse on twitter for his perceived ableism. I feel kind of sorry for him. I don't think he was remotely involved in the decision to make Babs able to walk again.
    There's this weird edge to the criticism that when Barbara is sat down, they're all pretending that she can't walk - so it's Disabled Representation, which a writer who depicts her getting up to make a cup of tea has cruelly and callously taken away from them.

Noone gave Cecil Castalucci grief for writing a Batgirl who didn't need her chair, that I remember. It's baffling.

Barbara has been walking fine for 10 years now, you'd think that people would have either accepted that by now or wouldn't harass writers who started writing her fairly recently.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Barbara has been walking fine for 10 years now, you'd think that people would have either accepted that by now or wouldn't harass writers who started writing her fairly recently.
    Tim Taylor a big name and a target

It's unfair that he's getting harassed.

He didn't make the decision. He is only writing the story. Doing his job.

The whole Oracle and ableism discourse has become so tainted by bias and virtue signalling.

I struggle to believe that all of those calling for babs to be Paralysed again do so in good faith. Representation is important but to paralyse on purpose? That doesn't sit right with me.

Not to mention that how most of those loudly advocating for Babs as Oracle also champion Cass or Steph as batgirl.

there's also the fact that Babs has walking and in the role of Batgirl for sometime now. Some were unhappy about that but it didn't turn into the current storm we have.

The current storm started after DC teased Batgirls Cass and steph and Babs as Oracle only to reveal later that Babs was still mobile and was to function as both Oracle and Batgirl.

What are these fans really upset about and if they cared so much about representation for disabled readers then why haven't they been fiercely fighting DC's ableism from day one when Oracle got better?

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Tim Taylor a big name and a target
    DC is a bigger name and target.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    DC is a bigger name and target.
    DC is a company, and its hard near impossible to topple that
    Thats why Ray Fisher keeps directly targeting individuals rathern then warner as a whole

I would prefer if they would just @ DC but they must know their words would go unheard, as the people who have the power to change anything proably are not on twitter