Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    If that was the case, then how was Gal Gadot still cast after the hatred and bile came from her casting?
    Because the people involved with the tv series are completely different people than the ones involved with the films, I guess.
    And because that's not at all what the hate was about anyway.

Unless you have proof, this is a ridiculous conjecture on your part.
    Not on my part. I'm just passing on what other people have posted here.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vonter Voman View Post
    Not even Johns' WW would kill a security guard, much less throwing a pipe at his throat.
    True. Johns' depiction of Diana isn't perfect, but people are starting to really exaggerate how violent she really is. It's also important to take into account the contributing factors of some of her more violent moments.

What Palicki did in this pilot was utterly unnecessary and completely indefensible on any front.

I think the jet wasn't invisible or stealth because the VFX weren't complete.
    Possible.

I'd still prefer her to just FLY, already.

As for Liz Hurley, she would be a much better Barbara Minerva.
    God, yes!

Or Circe. She might make a good Circe. But Veronica Cale? Meh.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Because the people involved with the tv series are completely different people than the ones involved with the films, I guess.
    And because that's not at all what the hate was about anyway.

Not on my part. I'm just passing on what other people have posted here.
    What was your feeling on the pilot, then? I'm assuming you have seen it. By posting the conjecture of 'others' as you stated, it sounds like your sympathetic towards those that think the pilot got the short end of the stick.

If you liked it, what did you like about it? Or, are you just in a contrarian mood today? Do you think points that myself and others have made are valid, or are we just the negative internet rabble that has no clue about what is good and bad?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    What was your feeling on the pilot, then? I'm assuming you have seen it.
    It's been a few years so my recollections are sketchy.
    Over all I liked it. Had some flaws, like most pilots do.

Mostly I like the performances. Etta Candy was amazing. So was Pallicki. Hurley not so much... I'm a bit hazy on the plot. I vaguely recall something about supersoldiers.
    I wasn't really bothered by the violence, I never did like the Comicbook Code. And I assumed that this was going to be part of Diana's character arc anyway.

Didn't like the inclusion of a secret identity though.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I wasn't really bothered by the violence, I never did like the Comicbook Code. And I assumed that this was going to be part of Diana's character arc anyway.
    Diana killing isn't about the Comicbook Code. It's about her character. Who she is. What she stands for.

For a super-strong, super-fast woman trained in the arts of war to kill a security guard who couldn't hurt her on his best day ever is just morally unacceptable. Diana isn't a murderer. Her killing Max Lord to save Superman and her own life is a totally different case. She killed that man and didn't have to. That's not who Diana is.

The torture in the hospital? I'm sorry. I call anyone who resorts to torture when he/she has a far more effective means of information extraction a monster. There was no need for Diana to do that. The fact that the cops thought nothing of it only makes it worse. Diana, apparently, already has a reputation for being uber-violent and sadistic.

No part of that is in any way true to the character of Wonder Woman. The Comics Code doesn't even factor into it. If Batman got a new TV series and started going around snapping people's necks when he had no need to do so, it would've received the same level of anger.

I don't mind heroes who kill when they must. Heroes who kill "just because," however, are not heroes at all.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    The pilot bore little to no resemblance either to the source material or to the character's core. I'm pretty flexible on what I'll accept, but in this case:

1. Diana is the head of a corporation that makes money selling her likeness in order to fund her crimefighting which involves a lot of high tech gadgets such as mini-jets.

2. Diana tortures a man in a hospital bed, something that the police are used to seeing, despite having the lasso. She has a reputation for over-the-top violence.

3. Diana uses lethal force against normal people with guns, killing people she could have easily dispatched without much effort.

4. Diana invents a secret identity just so she can take a break and sits in an apartment by herself with a cat crying in self-pity.

5. Not overly relevant, but the costume was hideous

This character just wasn't Wonder Woman. The corporation, the tech, the violence, the torture - none of this has anything to do with any version of Wonder Woman that I've read/watched for the last 40 years.

Add to this that Elizabeth Hurley was over-the-top campy as a villain and the whole thing just fell flat.
    I agree with everything you wrote except your criticism of Diana funding her crimefighting via a corporation that sells WW merchandise. That was an interesting angle, at least IMO. If the show had survived, one twist was that Diana could NOT get back to Paradise Island (although I'm sure she would've found a way at some point). So it's not like Hippolyta could give Diana and endless amount of gold coins, or whatever. All those jets and corporate forensics division (would've been showcased in later eps) and everything else she needed to effectively fight and solve crimes costs money, a lot of $$$. If not through her own corporation, how else would she make enough money for her own jet to quickly travel from scene to scene?
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Diana killing isn't about the Comicbook Code. It's about her character. Who she is. What she stands for.

For a super-strong, super-fast woman trained in the arts of war to kill a security guard who couldn't hurt her on his best day ever is just morally unacceptable. Diana isn't a murderer. Her killing Max Lord to save Superman and her own life is a totally different case. She killed that man and didn't have to. That's not who Diana is.

The torture in the hospital? I'm sorry. I call anyone who resorts to torture when he/she has a far more effective means of information extraction a monster. There was no need for Diana to do that. The fact that the cops thought nothing of it only makes it worse. Diana, apparently, already has a reputation for being uber-violent and sadistic.

No part of that is in any way true to the character of Wonder Woman. The Comics Code doesn't even factor into it. If Batman got a new TV series and started going around snapping people's necks when he had no need to do so, it would've received the same level of anger.

I don't mind heroes who kill when they must. Heroes who kill "just because," however, are not heroes at all.
    Yeah, a superhuman killing a glorified security guard is unforgivable. I'd like to think they would've deleted that part if the series had been picked up, but then again, who knows?
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

Quote Originally Posted by Top Carnivore View Post
    Yeah, a superhuman killing a glorified security guard is unforgivable. I'd like to think they would've deleted that part if the series had been picked up, but then again, who knows?
    More importantly? Who cares?

The mere fact that the team involved in making this show thought it would be okay to have Wonder Woman casually murdering people and torturing them without, without need or cause, pretty much proves that this team didn't understand Wonder Woman at all. The entire show would've been a hideous mockery of Diana, and I am THRILLED that it never got off the ground.

Better no Wonder Woman show at all than a Wonder Woman show written by people determined to make Diana a monster.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I was willing to give virtually everything up to the plastic costume the benefit of the doubt until it came to light that she tortured and killed people. That's a no-no.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I was willing to give virtually everything up to the plastic costume the benefit of the doubt until it came to light that she tortured and killed people. That's a no-no.
    Yeah. I could tolerate the three identities. I could tolerate Diana prostituting her image to the world. I could tolerate the lack of significant superpowers. I could tolerate the crappy costume. I could tolerate all of that crap......but having her kill for no good reason and torture was an instantaneous deal-breaker.

Everything else, I would've at least given a chance. But not that. NEVER that.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

You better BELIEVE that's a-paddlin'.

I think everything was awful. Even if they got her characterization right, the story was just terrible.