Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Like, the plot is "Dick targeted, has to get his dog back". It's not just slight, it's like a quick A-to-B jaunt. But the excuse to let an artist go buck wild on an organic, grounded format that's about playing with the paper itself and LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of rulers? Oh baby. My Art School ass is all over this issue. Every once in a while a creative team needs to throw something like this out into the wild. It's not a gimmick ... it's a game played with the fundamentals, like G.I. Joe's Silent Issue or SFX only issues, that sorta thing. Not the fundamentals of storytelling ... the Comic Book fundamentals.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Redondo killed it. Not a huge plot but I admit I shouted out “No! The puppy!” when Dick realized Haley was at the apartment.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    From the start it was clear the plot wasn’t the focus of this run.
    Character Piece are something they can do once in while imo, but it shouldn't make up the majority of the run.

Do that and you run exactly in the problem of Tom Kings Knightmare arc, were each issue on it's own was fine, but having 7 or so in a row was just to much.

Character exploration is fine (even if it is kind of redundant on characters that have been around as long as Dick or Bruce imo) but I need a plot and some tension to keep hooked.
    Last edited by Aahz; 12-22-2021 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Character Piece are something they can do once in while imo, but it shouldn't make up the majority of the run.

Do that and you run exactly in the problem of Tom Kings Knightmare arc, were each issue on it's own was fine, but having 7 or so in a row was just to much.

Character exploration is fine (even if it is kind of redundant on characters that have been around as long as Dick or Bruce imo) but I need a plot and some tension to keep hooked.

That’s fair, especially for more general fans of the character i definitely get that. When the character isn’t necessarily the hook for them it falls on the other things like a good plot to keep them.

I’m just saying though, at this point it’s pretty clear that this run is more about Dick’s character and how he reacts to things. That’s where the focus is here.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-22-2021 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    Might have been a month early, but damn if it wasn't still accurate for 87.
    Isn't this part of the story plot though? The whole reason Dick was targeted is because he became a public figure and upset people like Blockbuster and Heartless who are also trying to take over Bludhaven. Im pretty sure this leads up to Dick needing Wally to be his bodyguard because his public identity is being threatened.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MakeNightwingGreatAgain View Post
    Isn't this part of the story plot though?
    To a degree but at least it doesn't sound like the main villains that were set up in the beginning of the run (Heartless and Blockbuster) would really really doing much here, or like Dick would really come any closer to taking them down.

Incredible Member

I feel like this run has done a pretty god job balancing plot and character moments.

I can appreciate the more grounded personal approach. This issue was pretty light on story but I appreciate them doing something different and experimenting with the format. What makes it cool is this is something you can really only do in a comic book. It was the comic equivalent to the one shot fight scene in movies/tv shows. Highlights the medium in general.

The splash page with Dick and Babs taking out the room full of guys is one the coolest splash pages I have ever seen.

Fun issue. Loved that page with Dick and Babs taking out the room full of guys, too.