Seriously, a lot of Marvel titles feel so decompressed that they flat out become boring. Thor and Black Panther are prime examples of this. It’s like writers took the Bendis approach and ran with it without Bendis “wit” that keeps some of the books interesting within the decompression. Coates Black Panther reads like prose that was crammed into a Marvel comic and Cates Thor is regurgitating past storylines while stuck in a holding pattern of nothingness.

Even besides the decompression, some titles nowadays are just so dull that’s it’s hard to get into them.

I really struggled with GoTG and dropped it after its first arc, Slott’s FF has been dull (which is a bit of surprise considering how fast and snappy his past work was), Avengers has been all action but when said action doesn’t make sense, it just loses me as a reader. Cantwell’s Iron Man is terribly and unnecessarily decompressed (we didn’t need a full Hellcat issue and Tony’s side quest into the alien planet didn’t need multiple issues) and Saladin Ahmed’s Miles Morales isn’t as good as Bendis’s. Outside of this, some X-titles like X-Corp and Excalibur are also boring and the last Cable run was an utter failure IMO.

That’s not to say all Marvel titles are bad. I’ve enjoyed Spencer’s Spider-man and Immortal Hulk has been brilliant. Captain Marvel’s current run has been much better than what’s come before and Gillen’s Eternal is probably one of the better books on the stands. The main X-book has been good and X-Force and Wolverine not far behind.

I think writers sometimes need to understand that for its cost and length, the Jim Shooter/ Stan Lee classic Marvel approach is preferable. An issue should have a complete story i.e a beginning, middle and end. Yes, with serialization this could be a challenge but writing a title for trades alone (it seems it’s gone from writing for a single trade to writing for TWO trades) creates rather uninteresting comics.