Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Since it was brought up - I always thought First Class was a massively overrated but really mediocre movie that's kind of middle of the list for X-Men movies for me.
    There, I said it.
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I agree, never got the appeal of that movie.

And I hated that Mystique was stuck to Magneto and Xavier hips. She has a way cooler backstory than Charles, she didn't need to be apart of his origin. And I hate that she's Magneto's goon.
    I still don't personally think First Class cracks the top 3 of the x-films. That been said, where I will give first class its fair honest credit is that Mathew Vaughn was indeed different from Bryan Singer in ways that were good and I can agree to some parts where better. I dont see any MCU movie in any lifetime writing a comic book plot around the Cold war, Cuba missiles crises and about prejudice and discrimination. No I dont just see that in an MCU movie that can be done that seriously as first class took it.

First Class also had some very good technical aspect like the music score, sound mixing, vfx and the cinematography. the cinematography of first class is unique. the way it changes every time to match a certain place was fantastic, I am not sure why many comic films have not even thought off that kind of trick in film making. The scenes in England with Xavier and Mystique in bar that was very Victorian Oliver Twist era and then you shift more to the scene when Magneto goes to Argentina and the movies colour grading changes again and then going back to Germany in world war 2 where it is just a different atmosphere.

One of the things that many comic films lack is not not knowing how to have their film adapt to certain scenes or period. a comic film can travel to a place like brazil, italy or somewhere else and it will still look like they are in the USA? lol. what I am even writing here is hilarious now, when I think no MCU XMEN director will even get a chance to explore that kind of directing again on their own terms, lol. I mean I did say when I say the first shang chi trailer[/B] heck I even said, Shang Chi and Captain Marvel were twin flames. those were the exact words I used.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...l-Teaser/page2

This was 5 months back before Dennis Villeneive in seeing how copy and paste marvel has become even from a trailer. First Class is not a copy and paste of anything. it is a Mathew Vaughn movie and a special one time entry to the x-franchise. it is an individual film that does not feel plagiarised.

I do think first class can be considered overrated in the larger X-Universe adaption of stories, like Legion, Logan, X2, The 4th season and first season of X-MEN Evolution and X-MEN TAS. however for MCU standard, if First class was an MCU. it would have been best picture Oscar nominated movie. Maybe that is why some also feel why it is so overrated, because people see it that great of a film next to an standard MCU formulaic action comedy that don't properly even know there was a Cold War crises in the 60s that was important enough to be the main outline of a superhero film or may have missed the quite subtle intellectual refences of Xavier and Magneto sitting on the steps of the Lincoln memorial disusing civil right issues in the 60s both in terms of metaphors and the aftermath of the Jewish holocaust and the speech Martin Luther King gave.

50662075bb6858cbe7c6687986648f17.jpg

First can still be seen as overrated even with everything it has going for it but it is still outclasses the MCU cgi driven action comedies with simple easiness.
    Last edited by Castle; 09-26-2021 at 03:53 AM.