Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    What if you want to watch more "serious" superhero movies though? PBS and TCM isn't providing those. I think every genre, including superheroes, need both their silly and serious entries.
    We can say the same for every genre, there are more dumb silly romantic comedies that make more money than the Woody Allen serious romantic movies.

the issue here with the genre of superhero films is that because of how powerful Disney is, the media that for some weird reasons plays favourite with some franchise and the attraction/illusion of the its all connected movies formula, all these has led to silly movies dominating the more serious movies.

I have no doubt that this is why all these directors started having a bad thing for marvel because they see it as silly and some cannot understand why they get so much hype, although I am sure they know disney are their parents that can give them the world. However Marvel's overall movie reputation in mainstream should never have shifted from the balanced style of what Singer and Raimi did in the early 2000s.

I think for Marvel, their serious movies should matter more and they do.
    Last edited by Castle; 09-25-2021 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    No Cameron movie has ever looked like a Video game, Cameron is far more talented than that and you know the good irony. Denis Villenevuvle has some of Cameron talent. Arrival? This is a movie I see Cameron making though we more good noise.

Arrival is a movie about Aliens visiting earth, now let's compare some of that to Infinity War-Endgame.
    Arrival is about as far removed from a Cameron movie as you can get. Where on earth do you get these ideas?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

No Cameron movie has ever looked like a Video game, Cameron is far more talented than that and you know the good irony. Denis Villenevuvle has some of Cameron talent. Arrival? This is a movie I see Cameron making though we more good noise.

Arrival is a movie about Aliens visiting earth, now let's compare some of that to Infinity War-Endgame.
    Anyone who has seen T2 can tell you otherwise.

Again, the film was literally the "MCU..." of it's day.

Since it was brought up - I always thought First Class was a massively overrated but really mediocre movie that's kind of middle of the list for X-Men movies for me.
    There, I said it.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/dar...-the-avengers/

Dark Knight Rises Cinematographer Bashes The Avengers
    If there is someone who knows about appalling movies then it's the director of that atrocious Transcendence, lol.

Funny thing is, in the same interview Pfister said he doesn't care about comic book movies (did he forget that he photographed three of them?) and that explains why he's at a loss as to why these camera angles in The Avengers were chosen. The odd angles actually give you the feel of comic book panels so they were totally appropriate for that kind of film.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

I was just watching SW A New Hope and I thought, wait a second, the next two sequels were directed by two work for hire guys that had no control over the script or the VFX.
    So I guess Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are both worthless pop corn dribble. Not "real cinema".
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Since it was brought up - I always thought First Class was a massively overrated but really mediocre movie that's kind of middle of the list for X-Men movies for me.
    There, I said it.
    I agree, never got the appeal of that movie.

And I hated that Mystique was stuck to Magneto and Xavier hips. She has a way cooler backstory than Charles, she didn't need to be apart of his origin. And I hate that she's Magneto's goon.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Ultimate Member

I'm surprised at the First Class hate..I absolutely loved the movie.

Fassbender in particular killed it in that movie.

It just shows how people's opinions differ on stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Nothing I disliked about that movie had to do with the actors, just the story.

I also read a lot of X-men so I'm not unbiased.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Nothing I disliked about that movie had to do with the actors, just the story.

I also read a lot of X-men so I'm not unbiased.
    I totally understand.

No Cameron movie has ever looked like a Video game
    He made a film that was almost completely comprised of CGI environments and characters, not to mention the lead character was literally controlling an avatar. It doesn't get more video-gamey than that.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

There, I said it.
    I think it was overrated too, even though I loved it. I think it was the setting and the premise that carried it more than the execution of the premise and setting.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I think it was overrated too, even though I loved it. I think it was the setting and the premise that carried it more than the execution of the premise and setting.
    One guy's take...

Had that been any other "Drama..." film?

No one even would have taken a second to make note of it having been released.

Since it was a film based on "Comic Book..." IP?

It gets a lot of credit based on what people walk in believing the limits of that IP happen to be. It's perfectly solid, but not really much past that.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Not hate really, I just found it very middle of the road mediocre. It isn't a bad movie to me, it's just not a particularly good movie either. It's just kind of average, imo.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I was just watching SW A New Hope and I thought, wait a second, the next two sequels were directed by two work for hire guys that had no control over the script or the VFX.
    So I guess Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are both worthless pop corn dribble. Not "real cinema".
    Let's be fair, people were saying that when those movie were coming out. Heck, "The Comics Journal," a fanzine for comics fans, said that about "Jedi" back in the day...