Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Default Thoughts on this physical strength assessment from 1981?

Saw these strength class pages from The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #15 (1981) and was curious to know how you all felt about them, as to whether you feel one character is either stronger or not as strong as other characters:

Super-Heavyweights: The Hulk, Thor, Hercules, Wonder Man, Iron Man

Heavyweights: The Thing, Sub-Mariner, Doc Samson, Sasquatch, the Vision, Thundra, Black Bolt

Super-Mediumweights: Valkyrie, She-Hulk, Power Man, Black Goliath, Silver Surfer, Colossus, Ghost Rider, Spider-Man

Mediumweights: Tigra, Nighthawk, Werewolf by Night, Spider-Woman, Beast, Aquarian; Captain Britain

Falcon, Ka-Zar, Iron Fist, Ant-Man, Black Panther, Captain America, Moon Knight, Daredevil, Shroud, Wolverine, Hawkeye
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 04-21-2020 at 06:08 PM.

The Silver Surfer stands out right away. The same level as Spider-Man? Come on, he could take on anyone on this list. Namor is another one that stands out. He easily goes toe to toe, or he used to, with Iron-Man and Herc and Hulk.

Bearing power creep in mind, even when this was printed,
    Ben, Namor, Sasquatch should all have been one level up.
    Silver Surfer should have been two levels up.

Nowadays that drawing would be a bit more crowded at the top two levels.
    Cage, She-Hulk, Spidey, Colossus, maybe even Ghost Rider and Valkyrie, have all moved up 1 to 2 levels since then.

Mighty Member

Wow! That 1981 post is truly awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Firstly, I miss when comics did stuff like this. They were like DVD extras in annuals. I always thought they were a lot of fun.

As far as tweaks go... I'd say Namor and Colossus should be up one, while Surfer should be up 2.

Remember when spidey did a top 10 bad guys in one of the annuals and jj was not allowed to be no 1 due to (as spidey says) "he's not evil, well as far as I was told and two, if we ever got into a fight I could beat the newsprint out of him!" Lol. I miss those bonus stories also.

Wasn't there one of dr doom rating other bad guys and doom also had one rating the avengers members I think. Lead to some fun lines from doom.

I’d swap blackagar with IM.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

If I remember correctly, in one of his earliest appearances in the pages of the X-Men, Sasquatch picked up a DC-10 airplane -- an aircraft that weighs around 220 TONS -- and effortlessly threw it the length of a football field. Naturally, when I saw him below Hulk and Thor, I knew that Spidey was off.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 04-23-2020 at 09:06 AM.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    The Silver Surfer stands out right away. The same level as Spider-Man? Come on, he could take on anyone on this list. Namor is another one that stands out. He easily goes toe to toe, or he used to, with Iron-Man and Herc and Hulk.
    And in fact, Namor scored a flat knock out of the green goliath (albeit, underwater) in IH 118. As far as the Surfer, I remember an early issue of FF where he first fought Ben Grimm and he had to amp himself to reach Grimm's level of strength, then zoomed past that to "atomic strength". On the other hand, we see Surfer in early issues against Hulk, matching up without the amp. IIRC, TOHOTMU lists Surfer as a class 100 with the ability to amp himself well beyond that. At any rate, the scale above is flawed to say the least.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    If I remember correctly, in one of his earliest appearances in the pages of the X-Men, Sasquatch picked up a DC-10 airplane -- an aircraft that weighs around 220 TONS -- and effortlessly through it the length of a football field. Naturally, when I saw him below Hulk and Thor, I knew that Spidey was off.
    I think Sasquatch actually ended up being weaker than Byrne first intended. She seemed stronger than Colossus in his earlier appearances... but by Contest of Champions he probably performed the worst of the bunch. I think he's a somewhat rare of example of power scaling on a downward trend overtime.

Bob Layton draws a great Tigra, Hulk, Vision and Spiderwoman.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Bob Layton draws a great Tigra, Hulk, Vision and Spiderwoman.
    Bob Layton is the man
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    If I remember correctly, in one of his earliest appearances in the pages of the X-Men, Sasquatch picked up a DC-10 airplane -- an aircraft that weighs around 220 TONS -- and effortlessly through it the length of a football field. Naturally, when I saw him below Hulk and Thor, I knew that Spidey was off.
    Not only that, but Walter did this feat of strength that should have put him in the 1st group.
    sasquatch.jpg

But this was that weird time before Marvel tried to classify power levels. It wasn't until the handbooks when they tried to set people's strength in stone, and a lot of the mid-class brawlers were undercut.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Firstly, I miss when comics did stuff like this. They were like DVD extras in annuals. I always thought they were a lot of fun...
    Yeah, I miss that kind of stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Yeah, I miss that kind of stuff too.
    Agreed. It's stuff like this that only real fans can truly appreciate: