Incredible Member

Default Mike Grell question

Does he retain ownership of material / characters he published outside of DC? I’m thinking of characters like Jon Sable, Shaman’s Tears, Starslayer.

I am a huge fan of those characters he did post DC and would like to see him return to some of these concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    Does he retain ownership of material / characters he published outside of DC? I’m thinking of characters like Jon Sable, Shaman’s Tears, Starslayer.

I am a huge fan of those characters he did post DC and would like to see him return to some of these concepts.
    I believe both Sable and Starslayer were later done by other people, so I'm not sure if/how much ownership he may have for them.

Grell returned to Jon Sable and did 2 mini series at IDW, Ashes of Eden in 2009 and Blood Trail in 2010.

Both minis were collected individually in trades and together as Vol. 4 of the Jon Sable omnibus editions that IDW put out between 2015 and 2017, so Sable at least remains Grell's IP.

Starslayer was passed off to other hands at first, but ten years after the series ended, Grell put out a Director's Cut of his issues on the book through Acclaim, which retold and revised the story Grell told initially, so that too is an IP he maintains control over.

Shaman's Tears was done through Image, so should also be his IP as well, as that is the standard Image deal.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post

Pretty sure he retains ownership but has occasionally farmed work on them out to other creators.

Grell also ran a Kickstarter last year for a remaster of an Absolute-style Jon Sable. Due out next year iirc.