Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Default When did Eddie Brock re-remember that Peter was Spider-Man?

As late as Slott’s Go Down Swinging it seems that Eddie still does not remember that Peter is Spidey, as MJ refrains from using his name or referring to May as “Aunt May” while talking to Peter when Eddie is in the same room. However, during the Cates/Stegman run, it is established that Eddie knows Peter is Spider-Man, is quite friendly with him, and even calls him “Pete.”

I can’t remember if I missed anything from Mike Costa’s run on Venom around the same time as Go Down Swinging, but I’m pretty sure that Eddie never remembers Peter is Spidey during that run as well.

There is an easy explanation since Eddie lent Peter the suit during Go Down Swinging before returning it to Eddie afterwords, which would be that the suit probably remembered once bonding with Peter and then Eddie regained the knowledge after the suit was returned. However I don’t remember any of this being specifically addressed, please let me know if I am missing anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    As late as Slott’s Go Down Swinging it seems that Eddie still does not remember that Peter is Spidey, as MJ refrains from using his name or referring to May as “Aunt May” while talking to Peter when Eddie is in the same room. However, during the Cates/Stegman run, it is established that Eddie knows Peter is Spider-Man, is quite friendly with him, and even calls him “Pete.”

I can’t remember if I missed anything from Mike Costa’s run on Venom around the same time as Go Down Swinging, but I’m pretty sure that Eddie never remembers Peter is Spidey during that run as well.

There is an easy explanation since Eddie lent Peter the suit during Go Down Swinging before returning it to Eddie afterwords, which would be that the suit probably remembered once bonding with Peter and then Eddie regained the knowledge after the suit was returned. However I don’t remember any of this being specifically addressed, please let me know if I am missing anything!
    I believe Cates said that he assumed that Eddie knew, so that's how he wrote him. You're not missing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    I believe Cates said that he assumed that Eddie knew, so that's how he wrote him. You're not missing anything.
    Huh at that point the editors weren’t doing their jobs and let that one slip through the cracks. So at that point, that’s basically gonna go on as a plot hole that will probably never be explained and will just be the canon from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Huh at that point the editors weren’t doing their jobs and let that one slip through the cracks. So at that point, that’s basically gonna go on as a plot hole that will probably never be explained and will just be the canon from here on out.
    At the very least, unlike a lot of plot holes, that can be explained since Peter did use the symbiote and it'd be weirder if Eddie didn't learn his identity after that.

Of course, if we got not scenes about Eddie reacting to re-learning Peter's identity, then it's another editorial **** up, and while it's a lot less bad compared to other stuff Marvel pulled, it's still bad.

Astonishing Member

Everyone forgetting due to magic was a hackneyed dues ex machina to begin with. Let’s just say the magic wears off of symbiotes quicker due to their alien biology that Earth magic isn’t as effective on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    At the very least, unlike a lot of plot holes, that can be explained since Peter did use the symbiote and it'd be weirder if Eddie didn't learn his identity after that.

Of course, if we got not scenes about Eddie reacting to re-learning Peter's identity, then it's another editorial **** up, and while it's a lot less bad compared to other stuff Marvel pulled, it's still bad.
    I think that's what everyone is going with. That he found out after Peter used the suit.

Granted, they could do some sort of "Untold tale" explaining it if they are really bothered by it.

Remember the symbiote bonded with Peter again technically towards the end of Superior lol. It was with Flash then, I don't remember if that was explained why it didn't remember after that then too, otherwise it kinda tanks the idea it remembered after he bonded with it at the end of Slott's run again. Love all the editorial oversight to make sure things make sense!

I was happy seeing Eddie and the symbiote know again, but like how.

The symbiote did rebond with Peter in Go Down Swinging. That was why Cates had Eddie relearn Peter's identity.

Extraordinary Member

"Editors weren't doing there jobs" feels like the reason for 90%+ problems in Marvel comics at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Remember the symbiote bonded with Peter again technically towards the end of Superior lol. It was with Flash then, I don't remember if that was explained why it didn't remember after that then too, otherwise it kinda tanks the idea it remembered after he bonded with it at the end of Slott's run again. Love all the editorial oversight to make sure things make sense!

I was happy seeing Eddie and the symbiote know again, but like how.
    If I remember correctly, slot provided an explanation that Symbiote had difficulties with learning hosts ability, because Spock had two kinds of brainwaves?

Or something like that.
    As for Eddie, I just assumed he knows because Red Goblin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    If I remember correctly, slot provided an explanation that Symbiote had difficulties with learning hosts ability, because Spock had two kinds of brainwaves?

Or something like that.
    As for Eddie, I just assumed he knows because Red Goblin.
    That's good there was some logic to it, I can buy that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The symbiote did rebond with Peter in Go Down Swinging. That was why Cates had Eddie relearn Peter's identity.
    It was earlier then that it rebonded to Otto as spidey

Quote Originally Posted by Krec99 View Post
    It was earlier then that it rebonded to Otto as spidey
    Isnt after that when Doc Okc SpOck said he was acting different and aggressive as Spiderman because of the symbiote to get the other Avengers off his back?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I honestly thought Eddie remembered when he rebonded with the symbiote when he took back his solo but he never brought it up since they weren't enemies.
    "Cable was right!"

I'm fine with Brock not knowing. Oh well.