• No

62 42.18%
  • Depends on the hero they're replacing

56 38.10%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Would You Be Open To Legacy Characters PERMANENTLY Replacing The Originals?

In the scenario that the stories told with these replacements were as good as some of the classic stories featuring the original 40's-60's-70's chararacters?

No. And they’re are enough “legacy” characters already. We have yet another redundant Spider Girl. 20 Wolverines. Enough!
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

I mean I’m going to say yes, I like the idea of natural progression in the universe though understand that it’s clearly slower because of the medium (12 issues do not equal a year in real time generally).

But I think a future where we could see a more adult Miles Morales, Young Avengers, Champions, Laura as Wolverine, and etc. take the reins and be a force for good. A good future not the post apocalypse that we normally get.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Ultimate Member

Generally no but I can make a few exceptions depending on who they are replacing.

I think Danny Ketch made an excellent Ghost Rider and I didn't feel any need for Johnny Blaze to come back (its heresy...i know ).

Same with Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Generally no but I can make a few exceptions depending on who they are replacing.

I think Danny Ketch made an excellent Ghost Rider and I didn't feel any need for Johnny Blaze to come back (its heresy...i know ).

Same with Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel.
    Agreed full heartedly about Danny. Johnny still acting like the reluctant hero so they should just let Danny take full reigns. Same deal with Michael Collins replacing Luther Manning as Deathlok.

I may be in the minority, but I wouldn't mind seeing Miles Morales being Spider-Man full time.

Yup time to age some of these characters out their tired & need to retire, Rodgers, & Stark respectively can go first.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Agreed full heartedly about Danny. Johnny still acting like the reluctant hero so they should just let Danny take full reigns. Same deal with Michael Collins replacing Luther Manning as Deathlok.

I may be in the minority, but I wouldn't mind seeing Miles Morales being Spider-Man full time.
    See, now that's a Marvel legacy character that I think was very well handled, and, IMHO, far surpasses the original. I always thought that putting a pacifist in charge of the world's mos powerful combat machine was a twist of genius. I think it's a shame that Marvel doesn't do more with the character.

Peace

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

In a world not reliant on companies to maintain publishing of said OG characters to retain legal copyrights, trademarks etc then sure legacy characters would take over.

We are not in that world. So brace yourselves for some point a decade from now where we have a young 20something Miles and maybe 30ish Peter(hell maybe Ben also) both as adults fighting the good Spider-man fight while a new teen Spider-man is introduced. That will happen.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

No. I've always hated the idea of legacy characters. It just shows how little creativity or even spine remains in the industry. If you want to create a "successor" character, just make a brand new hero (think Nightwing). Once the OG retires or passes, their mask and moniker should be retired permanently.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 09-20-2021 at 09:52 AM.

Definitely depends on the character. For example, Captain Mar-Vell is deceased. After Carol took the Captain Marvel mantle, the Ms. Marvel mantle became vacant (the only other Ms. Marvel is Sharon Ventura, aka She-Thing), which Kamala Khan took over. That example is fine, as it's not likely for Carol to revert - and Carol has used two other codenames (Warbird and Binary) anyway.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Deleted post
    Last edited by jackolover; 09-22-2021 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    In the scenario that the stories told with these replacements were as good as some of the classic stories featuring the original 40's-60's-70's chararacters?
    Enh... don't pretend it's the same character. that's the #1 principle. You don't NEED to try to "replace" the old character, just tell new stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Would it really be that bad though?

A world where Miles is the main Spider-Man? Where Laura is the main Wolverine? Where the new X-men/Generation X/other young mutants are the X-men leaders? Where Franklin, Valeria, and the Future Foundation kids lead the fantastic four? Where Young Avengers and maybe some Champions are now just the main Avengers?

I’m not saying it has to be now, hell it took a few decades for Peter be 30-ish. I just don’t necessarily think it’s a bad thing to hope to see that some day.
    Sure, sounds neat. I just wouldn't try to treat it as the current version of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Why not? The stories need to change a bit to stay relevant with today’s readers and viewers, right?

A girl who is Wolverine? Why not? Female Captain Marvel? Dig it. Sam Wilson as Captain America? It’s all good. Why can’t Captain America be black? Why can’t Iron Man become Ironheart? I’m down with Riri.

Kirby would have been cool with all of it. So, I think we should be, too.

I don’t really think Marvel is going to permanently replace any characters, anyway. Their business is intellectual property, meaning their business is characters. They’re not going to get rid of any characters ever, unless they sell them. They are only going to expand the stable of characters.
    Last edited by Brian B; 09-28-2021 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Why not? The stories need to change a bit to stay relevant with today’s readers and viewers, right?

A girl who is Wolverine? Why not? Female Captain Marvel? Dig it. Sam Wilson as Captain America? It’s all good. Why can’t Captain America be black? Why can’t Iron Man become Ironheart? I’m down with Riri.

Kirby would have been cool with all of it. So, I think we should be, too.

I don’t really think Marvel is going to permanently replace any characters, anyway. Their business is intellectual property, meaning their business is characters. They’re not going to get rid of any characters ever, unless they sell them. They are only going to expand the stable of characters.
    Enh... as you say their business is managing IP.... not creating it. :/ Which is why I suspect they'll want to hang on to old characters even more.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Enh... as you say their business is managing IP.... not creating it. :/ Which is why I suspect they'll want to hang on to old characters even more.
    Oh, for sure, you are 110% right there. For every big Ironheart project, we will get a Tony Stark Iron Man project not too long after. Like I said, the IP model is additive. They won’t get rid of old characters. See Jean Grey for details.