• Yes

29 19.73%
  • No

62 42.18%
  • Depends on the hero they're replacing

56 38.10%
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Would You Be Open To Legacy Characters PERMANENTLY Replacing The Originals?

In the scenario that the stories told with these replacements were as good as some of the classic stories featuring the original 40's-60's-70's chararacters?

No. And they’re are enough “legacy” characters already. We have yet another redundant Spider Girl. 20 Wolverines. Enough!
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

I mean I’m going to say yes, I like the idea of natural progression in the universe though understand that it’s clearly slower because of the medium (12 issues do not equal a year in real time generally).

But I think a future where we could see a more adult Miles Morales, Young Avengers, Champions, Laura as Wolverine, and etc. take the reins and be a force for good. A good future not the post apocalypse that we normally get.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Ultimate Member

Generally no but I can make a few exceptions depending on who they are replacing.

I think Danny Ketch made an excellent Ghost Rider and I didn't feel any need for Johnny Blaze to come back (its heresy...i know ).

Same with Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

In a world not reliant on companies to maintain publishing of said OG characters to retain legal copyrights, trademarks etc then sure legacy characters would take over.

We are not in that world. So brace yourselves for some point a decade from now where we have a young 20something Miles and maybe 30ish Peter(hell maybe Ben also) both as adults fighting the good Spider-man fight while a new teen Spider-man is introduced. That will happen.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

No. I've always hated the idea of legacy characters. It just shows how little creativity or even spine remains in the industry. If you want to create a "successor" character, just make a brand new hero (think Nightwing). Once the OG retires or passes, their mask and moniker should be retired permanently.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 09-20-2021 at 09:52 AM.

Definitely depends on the character. For example, Captain Mar-Vell is deceased. After Carol took the Captain Marvel mantle, the Ms. Marvel mantle became vacant (the only other Ms. Marvel is Sharon Ventura, aka She-Thing), which Kamala Khan took over. That example is fine, as it's not likely for Carol to revert - and Carol has used two other codenames (Warbird and Binary) anyway.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

There needs to be an additional option. It really depends on how well it's done. Like, as much as I enjoyed Matt Fraction's run on Hawkeye, Kate Bishop is about half the reason I enjoyed it so much. Then when you read Kelly Thompson's series, plus West Coast Avengers, plus Young Avengers, it's clear that writers have an affinity for this character in how well she's written.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Hmmnnn....possibly....but not every character. Even on certain ones, I would have to know the details first.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

A half answer but maybe? I enjoyed Sam Wilson Captain America and there was a strong Link to Steve Rodgers. I did enjoy Kamala Khan Ms Marvel very much.

I think if there is going to be a legacy character there needs to be a strong connection to the main one. Like With Sam and Steve. Kamala really didnt have a connection other then being a fan girl but they wrote it well.

If Steve retires or dies or Peter retires or dies and some random Joe we have never heard of before takes up being Captain America or Spiderman that will kind of cheese me off a bit.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Depends on the hero cuz I don't mind Sam Alexander taking over from Rich Rider but Cho taking over for Hulk is bugging.
    "Cable was right!"

Cho's wasn't permanent though. He's Brawn now, a mantle all his own.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

No. Nope. Uhn uhn. NFW. Oh, hell NO!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

As others have said, it really does depend. I'm not one of those people who is married to mantles in every case. Every hero has their age and sometimes it's necessary to close the chapter on said hero so that a new generation of sensibilities, perspectives and choices can be explored. If that means introducing a new character to carry the torch forward, so be it. It's happened to some of my favorite characters (Captain Mar-Vell) and while upsetting at the time, it didn't bother me in the long run. We don't get Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel without sunsetting Mar-Vell.

In fact, I'm so in favor of it that I'm openly calling for Marvel to create a new Blue Marvel, my current favorite character. Adam Brashear had his time, and part of the tragedy of his story should be that he never got his chance to be THE premier hero of the Marvel Universe. That pain should stick with him the rest of his already long-lived life. I'd like to see him lose his powers for good, but pass them on to one of his children, or another member of the African American community. Or better still, the African American mutant community. Marvel loves its metaphors. Here, feast on this: let Synch becomes the next antimatter wielding Blue Marvel. I double-dog dare you.

That said, I can think of a couple instances where the original should be the only version of the character. Ever. The Silver Surfer comes most immediately to mind.

Depends of how much history they have behind them.
    Chaaracters like Peter Parker, Bruce Banner, Tony Stark, Matt Murdock: yes. They had thousand of stories and are now in a loop, repeating more of less the same things.
    Characters like Richard Rider, Dane Whitman or Chris Powel: no. Marvel didn't do enough with them yet.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way