29 19.73%
  • No

62 42.18%
  • Depends on the hero they're replacing

56 38.10%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    ...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, I've come to suspect that most comic book readers don't actually know or care about character ethnicities. Why? because of how many people... have no idea what ethnicity most characters are. :/ So... is that actually a major selling point? I'd guess... no. So making a new version of an old character just for race bending.... probably won't actually get much interest. "But X character did great!" yeah... but.... Y didn't.... Also was character X actually written JUST to be a different race, or was it an actually good character in their own right?I think the trick with those was that they had a story. Hal Jordan went Parallax then died. Kyle was the only GL in the comics for years. Also, being a Green Lantern is literally a job. Oh and Hal wasn't even the original. But yeah a big part was committing to the story they had laid out.
    Well I mean you got somebody in this thread talking about "changing the world" and wanting legacies "just to hear people whine" half of the desire for change has nothing to do with the stories. BUT even with Present company
    excluded there are a lot of Eloi gently rattling sabers about books they have no real interest in. They have an interest in tearing things down, so if you want comics to be good you have to flush opinions from motivations like that.

Meanwhile, really look at what it leads to in dc. Stagnation for the replacements.
    I mean.... There's a whole generation of Young Justice fans just wondering where the hell is Tim Drake and Conners team. Not to mention all the threads along the vein of "What to do with the JSA", green fan lantern wars, Flash fan wars, and more,
    its really pretty angsty, the whole mood.
    Most of that can be handily avoided by a moves.
    1, Use Existing characters.
    2. Create Characters that fulfil the role but don't particularly have to come done heavy handed to the point of silliness.
    and most importantly....
    3. Just move the microscope a little.

There are a lot of stories about Joe Fix it that could easily be about Eldon Haliday aka Rage. Rage is a terrible name, but "Mister Holiday" .... maybe better. He could show up on teams and have an big storyline or two
    become relevant. Same with lots of characters.

There have been some very amazing storylines, that could have been centered around other characters. Giving those stories to other characters is a lot more potent than just slapping a layer of paint on existing popular characters.

Once it would make people whine and cry, sure, but now.. they're much more likely to shrug and go buy a manga or support a crowdfund or something similar. In the end though I'm 1000X happier and more motivated to have T'challa, and Blade,
    instead of just Black Captain America. ymmv
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Incredible Member

Really depends on the character and how well their replacement is received

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    The fact that you’re complaining about legacy characters, while named after and sporting an avatar of a legacy is sooo ironic.
    My name is for Langford.
    The picture is of his son, Ray.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-05-2021 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    My name is for Langford.
    The picture is of his son, Ray.
    So do you think Alan Scott is the best Green Lantern? Is jay Garrick the best Flash? Is Dan Garrett the best Blue Beetle? Is Jim Hammond the best Human Torch? Is Carter Slade the best Ghost Rider?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-05-2021 at 06:06 AM.

Spectacular Member

No.

While I might like some legacy characters to some degree, ultimately I want to read about Peter Parker spider man, Tony Stark Iron Man, Bruce Wayne Batman etc, not some random person who has taken up the mantel because the publisher feels its better to have them than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    So do you think Alan Scott is the best Green Lantern? Is jay Garrick the best Flash? Is Dan Garrett the best Blue Beetle? Is Jim Hammond the best Human Torch? Is Carter Slade the best Ghost Rider?
    Yes I do....
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-05-2021 at 06:07 AM.

Ultimate Member

I always forget about Carter Slade.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderTBliss View Post
    No.

While I might like some legacy characters to some degree, ultimately I want to read about Peter Parker spider man, Tony Stark Iron Man, Bruce Wayne Batman etc, not some random person who has taken up the mantel because the publisher feels its better to have them than the original.
    How exactly is it random?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-05-2021 at 06:08 AM.

Yes I do.
    Wtf? You prefer Carter Slade to any of the other Ghost Riders? What Carter Slade stories have you read? What Dan Garrett stories have you read? I feel like you are just standing by your claim without legitimately believing in it.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-05-2021 at 06:08 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Yes. From the perspective that with new characters in those roles we can hopefully (based on the writers) move far away from the repeatedly re-hash use of certain villains and plots, era after era and become their own distinct identities.
    As a tangential comparison...it's one of the reasons why I LOVED MM: Spiderman the movie but find the PP: Spiderman movies utterly boring because they're not telling me anything that I have not seen or read before.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Wtf? You prefer Carter Slade to any of the other Ghost Riders? What Carter Slade stories have you read? What Dan Garrett stories have you read? I feel like you are just standing by your claim without legitimately believing in it.
    I feel like you're not arguing in good faith, considering, well the mountain of evidence that shows that you're clearly not. Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-05-2021 at 06:09 AM.

I feel like you're not arguing in good faith, considering, well the mountain of evidence that shows that you're clearly not. Thank you for your time.
    I'm sceptical of your claim that Carter Slade is the best Ghost Rider, so I logically ask you what's your favorite story of his because I wanna know if you've actually read his stories. Same thing applies to Dan Garrett. What is illegitimate about this question?

If you don't wanna answer then just don't
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-05-2021 at 06:10 AM.

Legal copyrights is also a good point. It's almost like the industry doesn't want this either.

If anything legal copyright is more of a reason to do it. Marvel will lose the copyright for Steve Rogers in 2035. Which is an incentive to build up the next Captain America in the next 14 years.

It's also kind of a middle finger to whoever the first guy was.
    I mean look at Dan Garrett, there are people who don't even know who he is and some other guy is running around in his outfit.
    I think if you want to have characters do that for a little bit, you need to be working towards setting them up with their own identity eventually, honestly even if it's as simple as adding a color to the name.

The point is that Jamie Reyes and Ted Kord have far more things of interest about them than Dan Garrett. And the same thing is true of many other characters. Alan Scott also doesn't really have a specific point of view of the world from what I've read of him. And the other Ghost riders were far more successful than Carter Slade.

I don't think Clark Kent should be replaced any time soon. But there are many great stories that have been told after a character's mantle was handed down to someone else, and there will still be more great successors.