Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wow, tell us how you really feel Marcia.....

Marcia has some thoughts on the sequel trilogy.

The storylines are terrible. Just terrible. Awful. You can quote me…JJ Abrams, Kathy Kennedy — talk to me.'” Marcia Lucas

Full article below.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/st...ms-1234666134/
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Her criticism of them killing off Han Solo is a bit off I would think-That was basically Harrison's main condition for coming back.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Okay and? The movies are over and done with it seems. I don't really see the point of all of this anymore.

If you think you can't have Star Wars without the original cast of characters, then honestly you're out of touch. Star Wars has fundamentally changed permanently.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'm no fan of the sequel trilogy by any stretch...and by all accounts she had a big hand in editing the original film but that was a long time ago and she hasn't done a lot since then so in what way would have talking to her made the sequels better? Granted, they couldn't have been worse if she had input but I'm not sure why her feelings are anything like the "gotcha!" the article seems to think they are.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

She wasn't too fond of TPM either apparently. https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-phanto...ex-wife-cried/

I can understand. It's pretty sad to see how low star wars has fallen.

Mighty Member

Honestly, she's one voice in the many voices of Star Wars, of course you're going to find People who dislike the new stuff who worked on the old.
    Saying that, I'm not a fan of the sequels either, then again I'm not a fan of the Prequels.

Except The Last Jedi, that's a film I did enjoy a lot when I saw it.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I find it bemusing that back in 2017 you would be crucified by the media for daring to suggest that Last Jedi wasn't the best thing since sliced bread and now articles about the issues of the sequels are casually posted by all sides.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I find it bemusing that back in 2017 you would be crucified by the media for daring to suggest that Last Jedi wasn't the best thing since sliced bread and now articles about the issues of the sequels are casually posted by all sides.
    I think a lot of it was in bad faith (you got People complaining that Rey was a Mary-Sue when all she did was lift a few rocks, there were 5 hour videos which were just part of a series nitpicking certain aspects of the movie etc) that it made any real discussion of the Movie impossible. Honestly, I think it does have some major issues, but a lot of them come down to the fact that it felt like a rushed production. A lot of the problems I had with it felt like they could have been trimmed out with another rewrite or two.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    ...there were a ton or articles about all kinds of people not liking it before during and after it was out. Did mainstream critics enjoy it? Sure, but just as many other commentators on platforms like you tube and twitter were VERY open in their dislike of it.

For my money though, the slow speed space chase aside, I liked it better than the others. It's a low bar to be sure, but of the three I felt it was the best made film that actually tried to make you care about the new characters.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Honestly, she's one voice in the many voices of Star Wars, of course you're going to find People who dislike the new stuff who worked on the old.
    Saying that, I'm not a fan of the sequels either, then again I'm not a fan of the Prequels.

Except The Last Jedi, that's a film I did enjoy a lot when I saw it.
    Before he passed away I think Gary Kurtz was fairly vocal about ROTJ and the prequels.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    She wasn't too fond of TPM either apparently. https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-phanto...ex-wife-cried/
    My feelings on this, how it applies to her current view of the ST, and to the overall discussion about the entire franchise… is that fewer creators than we expect know how to actually understand, respect, and apply the different POVs of the franchise and their appeals.

Marcia Lucas feels to me like she loved the idealistic, character-focused and strong narrative aspects of the OT, and might have been annoyed at her ex-husband focusing on more world-building and less high quality characterization, and noticed the characterization, philosophically less idealistic, and narrative issues of the ST.

Abrams loves the adventure and character arcs, but is less high on the narrative, though he still respects it more than some Johnson; that’s how you get Finn having a great story with the idealistic styling of Lucas, and greater depth there than anything in the other two films, but such a loose and noncommittal approach to storytelling until the bill came due. He’s just self-aware enough to have known there was no way to make a good Sequel to TLJ, so he made as profitable a one as he could and checked out instead.

Rian Johnson loves the filmmaking aspects and the metaphorical applications the franchise can do, but doesn’t really care about the narrative cohesion at all and is clearly a bit contemptuous of the characters… and struggles with the more progressive themes he wants but doesn’t naturally grasp in the context fo Star Wars. That’s why his filmmaking process resembled Lucas’s so much with greater focus on craftsmanship, but why he struggled with keeping characterization intact, and managed to betray his progressive themes with tokenism for Finn and sexism for Rey while making a worthless story for a larger narrative.

Kathleen Kennedy is trying to be a good producer for the films; she’s trying to make the bets business decisions for a creative product, and she thought the “telephone” game for the ST would work, and when it didn’t, she shifted to Dave Filoni. Filoni seems to have a more holistic view of the franchise and it’s audience, alongside Favreau.

….Yes, I’d still argue TLJ did more damage to the ST than anything Abrams did, and that it’s ultimately more of a sexist and racist parasite in terms of narrative connection to the other films, with Abrams being more of a scapegoat when Johnson should shoulder more of the blame. Abrams took more responsibility because he made two films of the three and he’s the most visible target for people who find the treatment of the larger narrative abysmal and Rey an empty character… but Johnson was the one who popped a squat and defecated on any chance of the larger narrative working and hollowing out Rey so he could pimp her out for Kylo’s sake, while being an ignorant cynic about the characters and morality of the story.
    Last edited by godisawesome; 09-22-2021 at 04:12 PM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Marcia has some thoughts on the sequel trilogy.

The storylines are terrible. Just terrible. Awful. You can quote me…JJ Abrams, Kathy Kennedy — talk to me.'” Marcia Lucas

Full article below.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/st...ms-1234666134/
    Um, she's not wrong. Though I do suspect that it was Harrison Ford's idea to kill Han Solo. He's made remarks over the years that he somewhat regrets even having taken the role though that may be because, except for Indiana Jones, it overshadows everything he's done.
    Power with Girl is better.

Yeah, I think once he started getting more attention in other roles in the 80's-not only Indy (His late work around the 70s after SW is a mixed bag though-I'm sure Frisco Kid, Hanover St and Force 10 from Navarone have their fans but they're nothing compared to his 80s and early to mid 90s prime) but Blade Runner (although it initially was a bit of a flop) Witness etc. he wanted to get rid of being typecast as Han Solo. You can kind of tell in ROTJ he's not really trying that much at all, he almost seems kind of antsy and a bit bored.

I kind of wonder if part of the reason for the Carbon stuff was in part to give Ford an easy "out" if he didn't come back for ROTJ.

He gives a much better performance in TFA in part because he knew he wouldn't have to do it anymore after I think (Well, apart from a minute in ROS).

I agree Ford was almost phoning it in, but.....I think it actually worked in conjunction with the older, beaten down Han, who's still doing the job but not enjoying it anymore. And I feel like I did read that Ford agreed to do the gig on the condition that they write him out of the story.

As for what Marcia has to say....it's nice to get the opinion of someone as closely connected to the franchise as she is, her perspective is different from fans like us and that's valuable.

But it's still just, like, her opinion man.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.