Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Default X-Men Infinity issues 1-4 review and spoilers

This is the new, weekly, comic on Marvel Unlimited.

The first story is by Hickman and Declan Shalvey, it’s presented in a vertical format, suitable for scrolling down on a phone.

Wolverine (who he?) breaks into an A.I.M. Space station to rescue three mutants kidnapped from Sword Peak.
    He goes through the station like a dose of salts, gets blown up, drinks someone’s beer, tussles with a MODOK A.I. And rescues his first mutant.
    There are two things Logan looks at with such longing. One is beer.
    D7CE6F63-32CD-469F-A182-87E54942B0C6.jpg
    The other is his best friend.
    B09B7357-0E03-497F-AE8B-6D7E553450C1.jpg

So Kurt and Logan go looking for the other missing mutants. They find one, Jono/Chamber. But the other eludes them and is still in A.I.M’s hands.

This is a fun romp, not particularly deep.
    We don’t know what MODOK wanted the mutants for, one was a decoy, the others were for A.I.M to experiment on.
    There were other mutant holding pods where the third (female) missing mutant was taken.
    There’s quite a lot of (dark) humour and an incredibly high body count. Not that it’s unusual in a Wolverine slugfest but he and Jono did murder multiple A.I.M goons in front of a member of the Quiet Council, not that You can see Kurt having him thrown in The Pit, so I’m assuming Kill No Man *some exceptions do apply* is in play.

I think this story is over for now and will be picked up further down the line.
    Because I am shallow, I will admit that my interest only engaged when Kurt turned out to be the mutant Logan was so diligently tracking down, but the new vertical format is interesting and Shalvey makes the most if it with lots of long, long falls and lifts and the like.

I’m really enjoying this story. It’s just good fun.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

How much is Marvel Unlimited. I was hoping they would create X-Men Unlimited in floppy form or comixology but I may have to get the app. Does it show who the next writer is?

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    How much is Marvel Unlimited. I was hoping they would create X-Men Unlimited in floppy form or comixology but I may have to get the app. Does it show who the next writer is?
    It has tiers. I think if you go monthly it’s $9.99. Yearly has 2 options, $69.99 or $99.99. If you chose the $100 option you get a Kitty Pryde action figure and some variant cover comics (physical copies). I think it’s worth it for the back issues alone personally. I do the $70 yearly.

Just curious,

For Marvel Unlimited, what's the present time delay on regular comics (not the digital exclusives)?

Trying to determine if it's worth the switch over.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Just curious,

For Marvel Unlimited, what's the present time delay on regular comics (not the digital exclusives)?

Three months. I switched over and it’s saved me a packet, don’t regret it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Just curious,

Three months, I switched over to it about a year ago and don’t regret it.

Sorry, double post!
    Last edited by Su_Whisterfield; 09-21-2021 at 10:35 AM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    This is the new, weekly, comic on Marvel Unlimited.

The first story is by Hickman and Declan Shalvey, it’s presented in a vertical format, suitable for scrolling down on a phone.

Wolverine (who he?) breaks into an A.I.M. Space station to rescue three mutants kidnapped from Sword Peak.
    He goes through the station like a dose of salts, gets blown up, drinks someone’s beer, tussles with a MODOK A.I. And rescues his first mutant.
    There are two things Logan looks at with such longing. One is beer.
    D7CE6F63-32CD-469F-A182-87E54942B0C6.jpg
    The other is his best friend.
    B09B7357-0E03-497F-AE8B-6D7E553450C1.jpg

So Kurt and Logan go looking for the other missing mutants. They find one, Jono/Chamber. But the other eludes them and is still in A.I.M’s hands.

This is a fun romp, not particularly deep.
    We don’t know what MODOK wanted the mutants for, one was a decoy, the others were for A.I.M to experiment on.
    There were other mutant holding pods where the third (female) missing mutant was taken.
    There’s quite a lot of (dark) humour and an incredibly high body count. Not that it’s unusual in a Wolverine slugfest but he and Jono did murder multiple A.I.M goons in front of a member of the Quiet Council, not that You can see Kurt having him thrown in The Pit, so I’m assuming Kill No Man *some exceptions do apply* is in play.

I think this story is over for now and will be picked up further down the line.
    Because I am shallow, I will admit that my interest only engaged when Kurt turned out to be the mutant Logan was so diligently tracking down, but the new vertical format is interesting and Shalvey makes the most if it with lots of long, long falls and lifts and the like.
    Wait it's only FOUR issues?

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

So you can only get this with a Marvel subscription? Boo.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Three months, I switched over to it about a year ago and don’t regret it.

Sorry, double post!
    I'm super torn. I'd definitely read more Marvel titles than I do now, but for my one or two priority titles I'm not sure I'd want to wait 3 months.

The other thing I wonder is how that factors into supporting a title you want to sell well?

Do you think they'll have a lot more Infinity titles coming? No offense to Wolverine fans or Hickman fans, but neither of those are particular draws for me. Now Jeff the Landshark, I'm all about that. LOL

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Felt like an obligatory Wolverine comic. Like when an artist doesn't really feel like putting out an album, but he's contractually obligated, so he does some lazy stuff and throws it out to the masses.

Felt like Hickman, but also felt like he didn't really care. At least he showed that can do character stuff, when he wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Felt like an obligatory Wolverine comic. Like when an artist doesn't really feel like putting out an album, but he's contractually obligated, so he does some lazy stuff and throws it out to the masses.

Felt like Hickman, but also felt like he didn't really care. At least he showed that can do character stuff, when he wants to.
    It definitely didn’t have the epic ness of his other X stuff but it was still enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Wait it's only FOUR issues?
    It’s an ongoing series with short individual stories. I think the first story is over but there is a huge lose end which will definitely be picked up down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    So you can only get this with a Marvel subscription? Boo.
    Yep. I already subscribe as I don’t buy individual comics (apart from WoX).

Not bad, I enjoyed the dynamic between Kurt and Logan, been missing that in comics. Only little nit-pick is the overindulgence of long shots. Scrolling through a lot of nothing gets a little boring, but I imagine artists and writers will get used to using the vertical format to its full potential in time.

Fun little story, gave me a few chuckles. Don’t think about the story too hard, ignore those pesky Krakoan laws and potential timeline/continuity questions and enjoy it for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    Not bad, I enjoyed the dynamic between Kurt and Logan, been missing that in comics. Only little nit-pick is the overindulgence of long shots. Scrolling through a lot of nothing gets a little boring, but I imagine artists and writers will get used to using the vertical format to its full potential in time.

Fun little story, gave me a few chuckles. Don’t think about the story too hard, ignore those pesky Krakoan laws and potential timeline/continuity questions and enjoy it for what it is.
    They are such the old married couple, they immediately switch into their usual dynamic as soon as they’re together.
    24F1E49B-396E-4143-A73C-87EEC8DF146A.jpg