Default Aquaman: the becoming #1 spoilers and discussion

Well everything seemed to be coming up Jackson until it isn’t. But hey I guess that’s what happens when you get the keys to the kingdom while Arthur goes to Mars to hangout with Frankenstein......I did not make that up by the way. The reason he’s gone in this book is very vague but he says he has got a mission on Mars that involves Frankenstein, it’s interesting and just a little weird but he gets a few minutes in the first few pages to talk. But we aren’t here for Arthur we are here for Jackson whose working his way up in the world to becoming possibly the next Aquaman.

Things are alright in his life at this point. The Aquafamily like him and train with him in some very advanced AI, the people of Atlantis and Amnesty Bay seem to like him, he’s hanging out with his mom, and stopping crime that while may seem ridiculous but has a human element to it that shows his compassion. Honestly he even has time to talk to his old Titans friends just to talk since he’s off doing Aqua-Justice while they run Titans Academy. Honestly a lot of this first issue is just showing you his life and that when the time is right how he would make for a good Aquaman within the dc universe.

But of course it wouldn’t be an 8 issue miniseries if things didn’t go to hell and mess up his status quo. See some mysterious duo is watching him and want to stop him because he “doesn’t appreciate what he has” and a “Xebel will never be Aquaman”. So pretty much right off the bat we can tell this person has Atlantis ties somehow. This person puts the whooping on Jackson and then blows up the part of the royal building they are in and when Jackson comes to the Atlantis guard has come to arrest him...and honestly that’s the part that bothers me.

Look I get this story needs conflict, in fact I really liked this first issue and I’m sure next issue will show some evidence that the villain left to implicate Jackson, but I don’t like the guards pretty much immediately arresting him. This is the guy who has lived among them, helped save their city and people, is friends with their former queen and king, and has helped raise their baby for months because of time skips. I’d say maybe give the dude a bit more benefit of the doubt when he comes out of the wreckage and says that he’s been attacked and that a suspect is getting away. It would make sense if it was his initial introduction since he is Black Manta’s son but not when he’s been around a while and can talk to security guards by name. Like I said I get why they did it but I’m not really a huge fan of that ending.

Either way I think it’s a really good first issue that really gets into who Jackson is and shows you what qualities he has to be the next Aquaman while also introducing the main conflict. It does what a first issue of a mini is supposed to do and does it very well. Not to mention Olortegui’s art works very well for this especially in action scenes. Would probably recommend for Aquaman fans, readers of teen titans, and those interested if he will go on to become Aquaman like Future State.

Edit: Slight error on my part, it’s 6 issues not 8.
    Last edited by sifighter; 09-21-2021 at 10:59 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

As a first issue, I think it was really well done. Jackson is a very likable lead.
    I wish Arthur didn't have to formally retire so Jackson could step up (and I still thing Jackson had some years left as Aqualad in him), but he'll be a great Aquaman as well.

Incredible Member

Did Garth appear or was mentioned in the comic?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    Did Garth appear or was mentioned in the comic?
    No, last we saw of Garth was over in Justice League Dark.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Well everything seemed to be coming up Jackson until it isn’t. But hey I guess that’s what happens when you get the keys to the kingdom while Arthur goes to Mars to hangout with Frankenstein......I did not make that up by the way. The reason he’s gone in this book is very vague but he says he has got a mission on Mars that involves Frankenstein, it’s interesting and just a little weird but he gets a few minutes in the first few pages to talk.
    Is it the adventure of Aquaman and Frankenstein: "Follow the Water" in DC: The Doomed and The Damned?

Is it the adventure of Aquaman and Frankenstein: "Follow the Water" in DC: The Doomed and The Damned?

Weird to make such a big deal about an obscure comic that's been released a long time ago. I thought it was foreshadowing a future plotline lol.

Isn't his hair and beard longer than in this?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Well everything seemed to be coming up Jackson until it isn’t. But hey I guess that’s what happens when you get the keys to the kingdom while Arthur goes to Mars to hangout with Frankenstein......I did not make that up by the way. The reason he’s gone in this book is very vague but he says he has got a mission on Mars that involves Frankenstein, it’s interesting and just a little weird but he gets a few minutes in the first few pages to talk. But we aren’t here for Arthur we are here for Jackson whose working his way up in the world to becoming possibly the next Aquaman.

Things are alright in his life at this point. The Aquafamily like him and train with him in some very advanced AI, the people of Atlantis and Amnesty Bay seem to like him, he’s hanging out with his mom, and stopping crime that while may seem ridiculous but has a human element to it that shows his compassion. Honestly he even has time to talk to his old Titans friends just to talk since he’s off doing Aqua-Justice while they run Titans Academy. Honestly a lot of this first issue is just showing you his life and that when the time is right how he would make for a good Aquaman within the dc universe.

But of course it wouldn’t be an 8 issue miniseries if things didn’t go to hell and mess up his status quo. See some mysterious duo is watching him and want to stop him because he “doesn’t appreciate what he has” and a “Xebel will never be Aquaman”. So pretty much right off the bat we can tell this person has Atlantis ties somehow. This person puts the whooping on Jackson and then blows up the part of the royal building they are in and when Jackson comes to the Atlantis guard has come to arrest him...and honestly that’s the part that bothers me.

Look I get this story needs conflict, in fact I really liked this first issue and I’m sure next issue will show some evidence that the villain left to implicate Jackson, but I don’t like the guards pretty much immediately arresting him. This is the guy who has lived among them, helped save their city and people, is friends with their former queen and king, and has helped raise their baby for months because of time skips. I’d say maybe give the dude a bit more benefit of the doubt when he comes out of the wreckage and says that he’s been attacked and that a suspect is getting away. It would make sense if it was his initial introduction since he is Black Manta’s son but not when he’s been around a while and can talk to security guards by name. Like I said I get why they did it but I’m not really a huge fan of that ending.

Either way I think it’s a really good first issue that really gets into who Jackson is and shows you what qualities he has to be the next Aquaman while also introducing the main conflict. It does what a first issue of a mini is supposed to do and does it very well. Not to mention Olortegui’s art works very well for this especially in action scenes. Would probably recommend for Aquaman fans, readers of teen titans, and those interested if he will go on to become Aquaman like Future State.
    Hopefully Lorena is not one of the mysterious duo.

Then again.

Astonishing Member

Count me as one who was more than a little curious to see Aquaman and Frankenstein's team-up.

This was a decent first issue. Nice art, nice characters, definite good coverage for Jackson and who his friends are and what he's up to, training hard, Titans stuff, being a good kid. Obviously we've got some good old rebel Xebel angle playing, and some other secret watchers, and a nice usage of Human Flying Fish. Just good Aquaman comics that could be a good first issue lead-in to a good arc. So far so good.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Man, I loved this issue. The art was on point (thank god this book got a competent artist) and the writing was very good. Thomas has given Jackson his own voice and attitude after so many years. The framing setup does seem kinda weak but there's probably more to it.

I love how Jackson still keeps in touch with his old TT members. It was interesting to learn that he actually quit the team instead of just not showing up on missions anymore. Usually, characters disappear mainly because different rosters mean different characters. That doesn't mean they left the team but here that's the case. At least he is still friends with them. Seeing Wallace made we want a Brave and the Bold team-up story with Kid Flash, Connor Hawke, Duke Thomas, Jon, Miss Martian, and Yara.

I love the Well. Its basically the Danger Room and other training facilities in fiction but at this point the concept is a staple in comics and many other media so no problem there. Was Mera eyeing the crown so she can go try it? I think thats why she was rushing them to leave. Also Batman of course having fun with it as well. Man is always prepared for everything.

Jackson's interaction with his mother gets better and better everytime Lucia shows up. I love how close they have become.

Jackson got his butt handed to him at the end though. He needs to call up Bronze Tiger or Wonder Woman for some sparring sessions.

The structure of this comic felt like an older comic. We didn't spend an whole issue on one scene/location and things kept moving whle also developing the characters and plot.

Excited for more!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

This was pretty solid. I was pleasantly surprised. Will definitely be back for the next issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't his hair and beard longer than in this?
    Nice to see Frankenstein hanging out with dc heroes other than Batman.

Always Rakzo

Really dug this one. Dialogue was entertaining, characterization was enjoyable and story presents interesting twists.

Olortegui's artwork was pretty great as well. Solid beginning.

Yeah the art was amazing, the story intriguing, I'm here for the long haul!

Finally had a chance to sit down and read this and maaaaan I was absolutely blown away. Striking and dynamic art/colors, Jackson is super likable, a nice mix of quiet character moments and high octane action. Thomas is creating a definitive coming of age story for Jackson and he's doing it perfectly. Can't wait to see how the story unfolds and what the deal with Davi is.