Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What are your favorite issues/arcs/Mini/artwork of all time?

With all of the comics you have read what would you say are your favorites of all time. Be it a story arc, single issue, or art that you love?

For me there are a couple and they have both Marvel and DC.

My favorite Mini Series of all time if by far Superman/batman Generations Volume 1. I remember reading this for the first time when I was 19 and working at a chain drug store. In the magazine section they had comics. Not may at all. And these series made it to the rack. I read all four parts on my lunch break pretty much every day. I loved the fact that the heroes grew older, had kids and the kids took over. I was blown away at this type of story Because I have never read anything like that before.

For marvel there is a mini and an issue and both involve Spiderman. For the Mini it is Spiderman life story. I enjoyed it for the same reason as I loved Generations. Peter getting older and dealing with age and the changing world. Flash dying, he and Mary Jane having such a rocky marriage, Sue leaving Reed, his issues with Ironman, Miles becoming the main Spiderman.

As far as the single issue goes it is Amazing Spiderman 16. I loved this issue for many reasons. it was one of the first ones I read as a kid in this little Spiderman digest type books. I loved Daredevil and his yellow costume, I loved the heroes fighting each other, it was the first time I saw heroes fighting in a comic (I was very young) And I have read this so many times that I know it word for word panel by panel. And this issue has helped me though some rough times. I have always made sure to keep this issue in trade through out my life and always read it to help escape my problems.

So what are some of your favorites and why?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Maybe Marvels.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

As a longtime Iron Man fan, I'll roll with the original "Armor Wars" arc By David Michilenie, Bob Layton and Mark Bright.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

A lot of my favorite comics are pretty standard selections, although it may also be from the perspective of a thirty-something comic book fan (Maus, Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year One, Daredevil Born Again, Sandman: A Game of You, All-Star Superman, Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, Marvels) unable to grasp how the canon has shifted.

Some comics I like that aren't consistently on top ten lists...
    "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" (Amazing Spider-Man #121-122) I'm still awestruck by how good and intense it is, compared to other comics at the time, even Conway's other work. It's like the comics version of Psycho, where you know the twist but it's still compelling.
    "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man" (Amazing Spider-Man #248) Easily my favorite single-issue story. Shows the superhero as a decent human being.
    The Ultimates Volume 2- I loved the first one, and thought the second was bigger and better, as a great example of a superteam pushed to the limit.
    The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius Monkey Tales #4-6: I'm astonished the R-rated comedy of a boy genius has not been turned into a South Park/ Rick & Morty style cartoon. This three-parter was the highlight, as Barry and his friends are trapped in a unique fantasy world.

I thought a DC Best of Will Eisner's The Spirit collection was incredible. That's one of my favorite reprints.

I do cheat a bit and consider the Galactus saga and "This Man, This Monster" to be part of the same story, although to be fair that was how it was collected in Marvel's Jack Kirby Visionaries hardcover.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    As a longtime Iron Man fan, I'll roll with the original "Armor Wars" arc By David Michilenie, Bob Layton and Mark Bright.
    As long as I have been reading comics I have never read this whole arc. The only part of it I read was the West Coast Avengers issue of this that took place in the Vault.

@Mets Didnt want to quote your whole post would take up too much room. The Night Gwen Stacy Died is one of my favorite stories. I know that she gets a lot of hate and I get it she was never really an amazing character and she is known more for her death then anything. But this story hit me hard when I was younger. I felt bad for poor Gwen and Peter.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

For me it's the two-parter in New Mutants Special #1 and X-Men Annual #9, where the New Mutants travel to Asgard and the X-Men eventually go to retrieve them. A lot of interaction between the Thor universe and X-Men, something you didn't really see a lot of back then. Also gorgeous art by Arthur Adams, probably my favorite work of his.

X-Adams.jpg

Invincible Member

One of my favorite single issues was Daredevil #191. It was the the last issue of Frank Miller's first run and instead of Klaus Jason you had some interesting inking by Terry Austin. The story concerns school shooting at a time when it wasn't as prevalent as it is today, plus child abuse and bullying. Matt has to face these issues plus his own responsibility in perhaps inspiring such violence.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    As long as I have been reading comics I have never read this whole arc. The only part of it I read was the West Coast Avengers issue of this that took place in the Vault.
    I'm sure you can find the TPB if you look. It was a damn good read.

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Favorite Single Issue:

"Silent Interlude"
    (G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, Vol. 1 #21)

Favorite Story Arc:

Operation: Rebirth

Favorite Mini-Series:

Formerly Known as the Justice League

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-23-2021 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

As for favorite art, these would be some of my choices...

George Perez
    (Truly a classic, and definitely incomparable)

Scott McDaniel
    (After moving to DC, finally came into his own when started work on Nightwing)

Kenneth Rocafort
    (All-time favorite artist for Red Hood. Hopefully someday, he'll do more work for MARVEL)

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-23-2021 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Some more choices for Favorite Artwork would be...

Ed McGuinness
    (No matter what, the McGuinness version of Superman is an all-time favorite)

Dale Keown
    (Hardly anyone mentions him, but I've always enjoyed his artwork)

Ron Lim
    (The majority won't agree, but I'll always LOVE his renditions of both Silver Surfer & Thanos)

Astonishing Member

Marvel's Mutant Massacre and Operation Galactic Storm are my favorite crossovers. 1990s New Warriors #1-26 have my favorite arcs. I've read these issues multiple times.

I've read a lot of comics, so narrowing it down is tough, but to curate some of what I have read...I'll give a short list though they won't be in particular order. And since I read a lot outside big 2 super-hero works, I am going to add favorite OGN/finite series. And I am sure for every one I include, there will be several I will regret not including

Favorite Single Issues:
    "The Pact" New Gods #7 by Jack Kirby
    The Fall by Ed Brubaker & Jason Lutes
    What is it that Disturbs You, Stephen? (expansion of Dr. Strange Annual #1) by P. Craig Russell
    A Midsummer's Night Dream by Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess in Sandman #19
    The Song of Red Sonja in Conan the Barbarian #24 by Roy Thomas & Barry Windsor-Smith
    the Tower of the Elephant in Conan the Barbarian #4 by Thomas/Windsor-Smith
    You Can't Pin a Medal on a Gorilla by Robert Kanigher and Joe Kubert in Star Spangled War Stories #126
    The Valley of the Worm by Roy Thomas, Gerry Conway, and Gil Kane adapted from Robert E. Howard in Supernatural Thrillers #3
    The Spirit/Batman by Darwyn Cooke
    The Price by Jim Starlin

Favorite Arcs:
    Grasscutter in Usagi Yojimbo by Stan Sakai
    The Dragon Bellow Conspiracy in Usagi Yojimbo
    The Search for Eternity in Dr. Strange/Strange Tales by Ditko & Lee
    A Season of Mists in Sandman by Neil Gaiman and Friends
    Metamorphosis Odyssey by Jim Starlin in Epic Illustrated #1-9
    Coward in Criminal by Brubaker/Phillips
    Red Nails by Robert E. Howard, Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor Smith in Savage Tales
    Confession by Busiek & Anderson from Astro City #4-9
    The Monster Hunters by Roger Stern & Mike Manley in Marvel Universe #4-7
    The Haunting of America by John Ostrander & Tom Mandrake in Spectre #37-50

Favorite Minis:
    DC: New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke
    Guns of the Dragon by Timothy Truman
    Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman and friends
    Rose by Jeff Smith and Charles Vess
    A Book of Ballads and Sagas by Charles Vess and friends
    Joe Kubert Presents (anthology)
    The Hobbit adapted by Chuck Dixon & David Wentzel
    Amazing High Adventure #1-5 from Marvel/Epic (anthology series)
    Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser adapted from Fritz Leiber by Howard Chaykin & Mike Mignola
    Half Past Danger by Stephen Mooney

Favorite OGN/ Finite Series:
    The Parker adaptations by Darwyn Cooke
    The Incal by Jodo & Moebius
    A Contract with God by Will Eisner
    Safe Area Gorazde by Joe Sacco
    Yossel by Joe Kubert
    Fax from Sarajevo by Joe Kubert
    Bone by Jeff Smith
    Elfquest-The Original Quest by Wendy & Richard Pini
    The Seven Voyages of Lone Sloane by Phillipe Druillett
    A Wizard's Tale by Kurt Busiek & David Wentzel
    Bravo for Adventure byAlexToth

Favorite Artwork:
    Frank Frazetta
    Alex Toth
    Joe Kubert
    Will Eisner
    Darwyn Cooke
    Matt Baker
    Moebius
    Druiilett
    Michael William Kaluta
    Charles Vess
    P. Craig Russell
    Jim Steranko
    Wally Wood
    Herge
    Stan Sakai
    Gil Kane
    Mike Mignola
    Walt Simonson
    John Severin
    Alex Raymond

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 09-23-2021 at 02:23 PM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Some more choices for Favorite Artwork would be...

Ross Andru
    (Underrated, but a definite All-Time Great!)

Kubert Bros.
    (Andy! Adam!! Awesome!!!)

Francis Manapul
    (Definitely puts a "modern spin" on the Scarlet Speedster!)

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-23-2021 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    The Song of Red Sonja in Conan the Barbarian #23 by Roy Thomas & Barry Windsor-Smith
    The Valley of the Worm by Roy Thomas, Gerry Conway, and Gil Kane adapted from Robert E. Howard in Supernatural Thrillers #4
    Song was in CTB #24 and Valley was in ST #3.