Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41
  1. #16
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    10,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    The Sentry is there, begging to be used, but no.

    I did enjoy the two volume series (I forget who published it) "After the Cape." I thought it handled superheroism and the effects of alcohol addiction quite well.
    Even some of the more prominent heroes, like Hank Pym, Wanda Maximoff or Bruce Banner could be used to properly portray mental illness

  2. #17
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    12,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Even some of the more prominent heroes, like Hank Pym, Wanda Maximoff or Bruce Banner could be used to properly portray mental illness
    It's also relatively easy to interpret a lot of those more prominent heroes as having (or having developed) some form of psychological trauma. Spider-Man, for example, has such a terribly deep-seated guilt complex that he could be argued as having "responsibility OCD," more formally known as "hyperscrupulosity," marked by intense feelings of anxiety stemming from the fear of being unable to protect others from harm, which would be rather true to his character over the years.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  3. #18
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    10,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    It's also relatively easy to interpret a lot of those more prominent heroes as having (or having developed) some form of psychological trauma. Spider-Man, for example, has such a terribly deep-seated guilt complex that he could be argued as having "responsibility OCD," more formally known as "hyperscrupulosity," marked by intense feelings of anxiety stemming from the fear of being unable to protect others from harm, which would be rather true to his character over the years.
    And that's something the comics could delve into, if the creators wanted to

    Maybe one of the superheroes should be a psychiatrist.

  4. #19
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    12,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    And that's something the comics could delve into, if the creators wanted to

    Maybe one of the superheroes should be a psychiatrist.
    There's Doc Samson, assuming he gets everything worked out right. That said, we do need more superhero psychiatrists, at least to counter the supervillain psychiatrists like Moonstone and Doctor Faustus who give the whole practice a bad name.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  5. #20
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    10,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    There's Doc Samson, assuming he gets everything worked out right. That said, we do need more superhero psychiatrists, at least to counter the supervillain psychiatrists like Moonstone and Doctor Faustus who give the whole practice a bad name.
    I forgot about Samson. Moonstone is not someone you should go to for psychiatric advice.

  6. #21
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    12,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I forgot about Samson. Moonstone is not someone you should go to for psychiatric advice.
    Nope, not at all.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  7. #22
    Mighty Member ARkadelphia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,394

    Default

    Best portrayal I can think of is Nadia Van Dyne’s bipolar condition in the second volume of Unstoppable Wasp
    “The Scarlet Witch is the only thing that will scare them. It’s the only thing they’ll respect.” - Hope Summers, Avengers vs X-Men #7

  8. #23
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    12,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Best portrayal I can think of is Nadia Van Dyne’s bipolar condition in the second volume of Unstoppable Wasp
    Thanks for reminding me of that one.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  9. #24
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    10,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Best portrayal I can think of is Nadia Van Dyne’s bipolar condition in the second volume of Unstoppable Wasp
    I forgot about that. I don't think I completed the second volume. How was the portrayal?

  10. #25
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Littleredhat View Post
    You know this thing. Where say a random tragedy or heck even a supervillain attack happens to some rando Marvel citizen and suddenly they attack a superhero that may not even be related to event.

    This has got to be a recognized mental illness on Marvel earth right? I remember one issue where Spider-Man was almost murdered by a man because his kid lit himself on fire to be like the Human Torch. And then that Planet Hulk Mini with all the "victims"
    of the Hulk agreed to have themselves turned into Gamma mutates only to find out the Hulk didn't to anything to them?

    Can anyone think of some other examples?
    Eh, victim blaming is a thing we do in the real world.

    "Should have watched your drink" "Why'd you wear that shirt?" etc etc.

    And hell, at least in America we struggle to hold the shameless to account. That's all of Trump's presidency, really.

    It's easier to hate the guy who's supposed to be the good guy and save everyone, than the villains who did it to begin with. For a whole host of reasons...

  11. #26
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    12,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Eh, victim blaming is a thing we do in the real world.

    "Should have watched your drink" "Why'd you wear that shirt?" etc etc.

    And hell, at least in America we struggle to hold the shameless to account. That's all of Trump's presidency, really.

    It's easier to hate the guy who's supposed to be the good guy and save everyone, than the villains who did it to begin with. For a whole host of reasons...
    Mostly because the mentality boils down to, "Villains are gonna villain." No one expects them to do or be better.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  12. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I'd actually appreciate a superhero series actually properly handling this subject matter
    They could start with Hank Pym. Marvel created his metal illness and then dumped all over the guy. A lot of posters focused on his slap and totally ignored the mental illness. If anyone deserves the focus it is Hank Pym.

  13. #28
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Best portrayal I can think of is Nadia Van Dyne’s bipolar condition in the second volume of Unstoppable Wasp
    Yeah, but I hated their depiction of Finesse, who herself had her own personality disorder.

  14. #29
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    12,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, but I hated their depiction of Finesse, who herself had her own personality disorder.
    Understandable.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  15. #30
    Mighty Member ARkadelphia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I forgot about that. I don't think I completed the second volume. How was the portrayal?
    I thought it was excellent. Writer consulted with experts and it was really well-written. It was written in such a way that it was clear she was bipolar for most of her life but didn’t realize it. She was in denial. Many of her behaviors from early issues suddenly made sense. It took an incident for her to realize that she had to face the facts that she did have an issue. After the incident she realized she could no longer deny she had a problem and her friends/family helped her get help. Struck me as very realistic.
    “The Scarlet Witch is the only thing that will scare them. It’s the only thing they’ll respect.” - Hope Summers, Avengers vs X-Men #7

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •