Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Extraordinary Member sifighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,525

    Default Shazam #3 spoilers and discussion

    Well things are continuing to go to hell for Billy and we find out that he just might be a bad friend but at least a good adoptive sibling. By the way I will say this, this issue is probably the one where people take issue with Billy’s current continuity and how it works because well Neron is here, don’t act surprised he is on the cover. But I say it is confusing because Neron and Billy know each other and fully remember Underworld Unleashed as they have chances to talk and be smug at each other. Not sure how it all works with Billy having his Rebirth family or the fact that Billy says he’s known the Titans for years but who can tell with these things and honestly we’re going to get deeper in the weeds then that my friends.

    As for how they find Neron well Dane/Nevermore apparently the heir to hell itself and not Constantine’s clone, teleported them away from danger and it just so happened to land them in front of Neron who offers to lead the way and I guess Billy and Dane don’t have much of a choice with Hell on their tails and Billy’s powers broken. Along the way they fight some skeletons and have a bit of a heart to heart (Dane and Billy that is, Neron is a scheming jerk the entire way). As soon as they get to the rock of eternity to no ones surprise Neron betrays them to try to get Shazam’s powers while also hinting at what Dane is capable of, also Billy calls Dane Freddy so...awkward.

    Luckily professor Raven arrives to save the day, and needs to get Dane back to the tower. But Billy’s having none of himself leaving as he’s very personally invested with Freddy on death’s door. So getting a quick burst of power Billy is off to the rock of eternity where he hears what I think is the Unkindness trying to get to him but he manages to get inside where he meets...a very odd looking Black Adam from the DC one million future as seen in Future State Suicide Squad (told you it’d get weird). And I say odd because he looks very slim, young, and has white hair. Not really sure what to make of it.

    But yeah only one more issue of this miniseries to go, but I have a strong feeling given the December solicitations that the impact of this mini will be felt more in Titans Academy. Basically the four issues have been to explore the weird effects on Billy but I feel also to introduce the upcoming problem in Titans Academy that Dane represents, which is likely the four horsemen of the apocalypse story arc from future state. That said given that the whole Unkindness is a mixture of all that plus Raven, etc. who knows what that impact that will have especially if Billy accidentally lets it loose from the rock of eternity.
    Last edited by sifighter; 09-21-2021 at 07:47 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

  2. #2
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,641

    Default

    This continues to be a delight. It's fun and goofy and exactly what I want from a Shazam comic.

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This continues to be a delight. It's fun and goofy and exactly what I want from a Shazam comic.
    and Justice Leauge Dark comic

  4. #4
    Always Rakzo
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    4,216

    Default

    Always up to Sheridan to make serious characters annoying AF (Seriously, I cringed at basically everything that came out from Neron's mouth).

    Art was decent though.

  5. #5
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Always up to Sheridan to make serious characters annoying AF (Seriously, I cringed at basically everything that came out from Neron's mouth).

    Art was decent though.
    where did he debut

  6. #6
    Always Rakzo
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    4,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    where did he debut
    Underworld Unleashed by Mark Waid.

    Not the best event mind you (Waid's treatment of the Rogues blows) but still.

  7. #7
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Underworld Unleashed by Mark Waid.

    Not the best event mind you (Waid's treatment of the Rogues blows) but still.
    I see, he is a buff genie who sucks souls

  8. #8
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Well things are continuing to go to hell for Billy and we find out that he just might be a bad friend but at least a good adoptive sibling. By the way I will say this, this issue is probably the one where people take issue with Billy’s current continuity and how it works because well Neron is here, don’t act surprised he is on the cover. But I say it is confusing because Neron and Billy know each other and fully remember Underworld Unleashed as they have chances to talk and be smug at each other. Not sure how it all works with Billy having his Rebirth family or the fact that Billy says he’s known the Titans for years but who can tell with these things and honestly we’re going to get deeper in the weeds then that my friends.
    SNIP!

    From my understanding, all the DC characters can now "remember" their past iterations' histories, thanks to the recent DCU reset.

  9. #9
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    SNIP!

    From my understanding, all the DC characters can now "remember" their past iterations' histories, thanks to the recent DCU reset.
    That’s strange

  10. #10
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    That’s strange
    No stranger than not remembering their prior adventures.

    There's going to be contradictions, of course, but as long as they simply take the broad strokes of those older stories, the details don't really matter.

    For this particular story, all we need to know is that Billy and Neron have tangled in the past. The specifics are unnecessary.

  11. #11
    Mighty Member JLH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,122

    Default

    I like that they brought Neron back into Billy's world. They work well together (or rather, against one another).

  12. #12
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    376

    Default

    They probably moved Neron up in Billy's history. This Billy is still mostly NU52 Billy, and still seems he was never in the JSA.

    DC dropped the remembering everything gimmick.
    Last edited by D.Z; 09-25-2021 at 10:49 AM.

  13. #13
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    They probably moved Neron up in Billy's history. This Billy is still mostly NU52 Billy, and still seems he was never in the JSA.

    DC dropped the remembering everything gimmick.
    Yeah, since nobody could figure out exactly what Snyder was trying to do (including Snyder), I think the idea is that everyone remembered all their previous incarnations in the aftermath of Death Metal, but those memories soon faded.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •