Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I enjoyed this issue, not the best of the 3 so far but still very good.

This is the best X-men team book in years, the whole team is just great and as a Gen X fan, I am loving Everett getting a great showing.

I'm also liking the slow build up with the Ev and Laura romance and how it will go, Sunfire is a favourite of mine as well and I hope he gets some time to shine.

I enjoyed Duggan on Uncanny Avengers during the anti fox character days and with only 3 issues so far, this is already even better.

Larraz continues to be my favourite artist in comics right now, he suits X-men and I hope he sticks around for a while even though issue 4 or 5 have a fill in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Jean should take Synch and Laura so she can be nosy.
    Lol, ohhh you are being messy! I just like all the blow back on both sides of the couple possibly getting together. It makes for drama to push to book forward.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Did those Evo-Guard guys get named? Just curious what names they came up with.....
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    You're right, Kingdom X. As I told other friends who are Scott's fans too: this portrayal is consistent to Krakoa Scott. But it doesn't mean it's a good thing...
    It also doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I like stoic militant/rebellion leader Cyclops. I also like relaxed/dad joke Cyclops. The two can coexist without it being some attack on his character.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Yeah, they need Hellion.

: )

Hmmm🤔🤔🤔🤔 perhaps he would be a wildcard with his attitude giving Cyclops back talk. We need more supporting characters like Doop, Squid Boy!!!!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    It also doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I like stoic militant/rebellion leader Cyclops. I also like relaxed/dad joke Cyclops. The two can coexist without it being some attack on his character.
    I agree as well. Characters can change over time without it being a referendum on what came before.

Pre-House of M Cyclops always played the straight-laced role to Wolverine's agent of chaos. Post House of M Cyclops was even more serious and somber, reflecting the burden of mutant extinction. Post-AvX Cyclops was militant.

In the Krakoa era, Cyclops doesn't have to worry as much, and so can be more laid back. The best explanation is that he is getting it on the regular from Emma/Jean/Logan, so he's more a free-love hippy now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    I agree as well. Characters can change over time without it being a referendum on what came before.

Pre-House of M Cyclops always played the straight-laced role to Wolverine's agent of chaos. Post House of M Cyclops was even more serious and somber, reflecting the burden of mutant extinction. Post-AvX Cyclops was militant.

In the Krakoa era, Cyclops doesn't have to worry as much, and so can be more laid back. The best explanation is that he is getting it on the regular from Emma/Jean/Logan, so he's more a free-love hippy now.
    Lmao I love this. This is defintely my head canon.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    The best explanation is that he is getting it on the regular from Emma/Jean/Logan, so he's more a free-love hippy now.
    Oh wow, lmao.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

They can co-exist, sure. But we're not seeing much of the pre-Krakoa Scott he has been consistently portrayed as for most of his existence as a character. And that is the problem.

No one changes completely that fast and no one changes this much without a reason. There was no character development that was shown (not told or inferred) to the readers. One day Krakoa era started and one day we have a new portrayal of Scott that left quite some of his core characteristics out - again: for no reason that was shown in-story.

EDIT: I'm glad you guys can enjoy it and I'm not trying to take that away from any of you. But there are some of us who have trouble recognising the character we love and it bothers us. We're just expressing it here. No hidden agenda. At least not from my part.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 09-23-2021 at 11:27 AM.

Astonishing Member

They can co-exist, sure. But we're not seeing much of the pre-Krakoa Scott he has been consistently portrayed as for most of his existence as a character. And that is the problem.

No one changes completely that fast and no one changes this much without a reason. There was no character development that was shown (not told or inferred to) to the readers. One day Krakoa era started and one day we have a new portrayal of Scott that left quite some of his core characteristics out - again: for no reason that was shown in-story.
    And I'm ok with that. Use your imagination. It's not some huge leap in logic to why Cyclops is acting the way he's acting in this era multiple posters on this board have eloquently laid out a pretty good reason for why he's acting different from his previous persona. Heck even Hickman laid it out pretty well in his first and final issue of X-men. Whether or not you're willing to accept the explanation and move forward is up to you.

I can empathize that you want a writer to go back and connect the dots for you. And maybe a writer will do that one day I doubt it, but maybe. All in all Cyclops has been written pretty consistently since HoX\PoX.

And I'm ok with that. Use your imagination. It's not some huge leap in logic to why Cyclops is acting the way he's acting in this era multiple posters on this board have eloquently laid out a pretty good reason for why he's acting different from his previous persona. Heck even Hickman laid it out pretty well in his first and final issue of X-men. Whether or not you're willing to accept the explanation and move forward is up to you.

I can empathize that you want a writer to go back and connect the dots for you. And maybe a writer will do that one day I doubt it, but maybe. All in all Cyclops has been written pretty consistently since HoX\PoX.
    It's not a matter of connecting the dots for me. It's a matter of narrative quality. It's a matter of internal logic for the characters. Show, don't tell. Writing 101.

That one panel of Scott quietly doing dishes in Hickman's X-Men #1 kind of told me he was at greater peace than ever before. That's how I've been reading him ever since.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    That one panel of Scott quietly doing dishes in Hickman's X-Men #1 kind of told me he was at greater peace than ever before. That's how I've been reading him ever since.
    Yes. And that's telling. The writer told me: that's who he is now. But he didn't show what changed for him. I'm supposed to just accept that going to Krakoa was such a revelation that it changed his personality so drastically? Cool. But then show me why.

EDIT: Let me give you an example. At first, he was really invested in Krakoa because it was a chance for him to live with his family, right?

Now, pre-Krakoa Scott would become even more worried, more prepared, more obssessed with protecting such a precious place to him. Where is that???

Cool, they can be resurrected now. But only if Krakoa - and the 5 in particular - is still standing. How many times was Krakoa attacked? Did we ever see him drilling any team? Does the Treehouse (that he designed) even has a training facility? He didn't show that to Lorna on the tour.

This breaks the internal logic of the character and such a break needs a *very strong*, very developed narrative reason.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 09-23-2021 at 11:41 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Yup. He's been consistently portrayed as being much more relaxed even in combat situations and I love it lol Duggan was also the one wrote the scene of Emma berating Cyclops while he was eating a club sandwhich lol

Astonishing Member

Yes. And that's telling. The writer told me: that's who he is now. But he didn't show what changed for him. I'm supposed to just accept that going to Krakoa was such a revelation that it changed his personality so drastically? Cool. But then show me why.
    He got his family back. He got to be a father again. Mutankind is not only no longer on the brink of extinction it's thriving and they've conquered death. These are not small changes these are monumental cataclysmic shifts and very big factors to change someone's personality like Cyclops who spent his entire life sacrificing his happiness for mutantkind. They have shown the readers this. You simply don't want to accept it and that's ok.