Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Jean should take Synch and Laura so she can be nosy.
    Telepathic reality tv show. I'm here for it
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

I thought the issue was okay. Still by the numbers, but that's fine. The art definitely improves the book quite a lot.

That being said, I'm not feeling Duggan's Scott.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

I really enjoyed this issue. Sure it’s another monster of the week as most have pointed out but Duggan actually made me like the HE as a villain. I’ve always thought he was as a bit too corny to take as a serious threat since he has anthropomorphic zoo animals fighting super heroes, but seeing him with his face melted off and still clowning Sync and Sunfire was next level. Nothing but praise for Larraz as well. Please, please, please keep him around Marvel.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    I thought the issue was okay. Still by the numbers, but that's fine. The art definitely improves the book quite a lot.

That being said, I'm not feeling Duggan's Scott.
    Of course. You want the character of Scott to move the plot and not be "passive" but Scott isn't passive here he's still giving commands. He's just with a group of mostly seasoned veterans against an overwhelming force.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Of course. You want the character of Scott to move the plot and not be "passive" but Scott isn't passive here he's still giving commands. He's just with a group of mostly seasoned veterans against an overwhelming force.
    Scott doesn't need to move the plot to read like Scott, though, does he?

Was there anything in his portrayal that made you think: "that's very in character for Cyclops"?

Serious question. I'm not challenging you. I'm curious because I didn't see it, but I'd like to.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    No. He doesn't need to move the plot for me to like his interpretation more. I'm not a fan of Duggan's characterization. Making multiple jokes and being overly carefree isn't very "Cyclops". Being more relaxed and quipping jokes is fine, but this is too much to me. Astonishing X-Men had a much better balance.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I really enjoyed this issue. Sure it’s another monster of the week as most have pointed out but Duggan actually made me like the HE as a villain. I’ve always thought he was as a bit too corny to take as a serious threat since he has anthropomorphic zoo animals fighting super heroes, but seeing him with his face melted off and still clowning Sync and Sunfire was next level. Nothing but praise for Larraz as well. Please, please, please keep him around Marvel.
    That part cracked me up.
    I agree, the HE was very compelling here.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Scott doesn't need to move the plot to read like Scott, though, does he?

Was there anything in his portrayal that made you think: "that's very in character for Cyclops"?

Serious question. I'm not challenging you. I'm curious because I didn't see it, but I'd like to.
    I know it made me think so scott. Writers sometimes break up his stiffness with funny moments like the brick to the head. The scene also reminded me of how he was acting when the ff was around in hox.

Edit: it was also similar to how scott was when he saw the man apes in that cotv issue of xmen. Maybe he has a aodt spot for them.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I know it made me think so scott. Writers sometimes break up his stiffness with funny moments like the brick to the head. The scene also reminded me of how he was acting when the ff was around in hox.

Edit: it was also similar to how scott was when he saw the man apes in that cotv issue of xmen. Maybe he has a aodt spot for them.
    You thought that joke while he was being "hugged" was in character?

'Cause I saw it and I - non-ironically - asked myself if he had forgotten how to ricochet his blasts.

Seriously. I'm not being a smart-ass here. I'd like to see him being competent at something. If being a tactical genius is too much to ask, can he at least fight like the veteran combatant he is supposed to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    You thought that joke while he was being "hugged" was in character?

'Cause I saw it and I - non-ironically - asked myself if he had forgotten how to ricochet his blasts.

Seriously. I'm not being a smart-ass here. I'd like to see him being competent at something. If being a tactical genius is too much to ask, can he at least fight like the veteran combatant he is?
    Yes i actually did. I dont see scott as the type who is going to gleefully beat up animals taken from earth and turned into instruments of revenge. In essence those animals suffered the same fate as mutants but not for simply being born different but for being in the "way" of human expansion. I didnt take the scene too seriously though scott has had many serious moments the last two years.

Edit: also scott was taking care of pretty much all those animals himself while the main team was interracting with he and jean qas holding a tk bubble around herself and that globe.
    Last edited by jwatson; 09-23-2021 at 04:10 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    If the team splits up, I want the men to go with Jean and the women with Scott.
    The teams are not evenly split and Cyclops is weak, the male team would need another versatile mutant to offset his vulnerabilities maybe Shinobi Shaw?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Agreed completely.

Laura could do a lot worse. Ev would treat her like gold.
    I doubt she'd reciprocate, guy is better off keeping to himself.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Yes i actually did. I dont see scott as the type who is going to gleefully beat up animals taken from earth and turned into instruments of revenge. In essence those animals suffered the same fate as mutants but not for simply being born different but for being in the "way" of human expansion. I didnt take the scene too seriously though scott has had many serious moments the last two years.

Edit: also scott was taking care of pretty much all those animals himself while the main team was interracting with he and jean qas holding a tk bubble around herself and that globe.
    I don't see Scott as gleefully beating up anyone, even villains. Angrily? Yes. Some of them. But gleefully? Never.

Scott can't stop his blasts, but he actually has amazing control over them. He can attack with minimal force, at the right spot, simply to get rid of a neck lock like that. Duggan had the choice to write him as a competent fighter without making Scott cruel. But he preferred to write another joke instead.

While Scott was a bit overly jokey in this issue I see it as a bit of an extension of the happier Scott that we’ve in Hickman’s run and the dad joke Scott from Duggan’s Cable run.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    While Scott was a bit overly jokey in this issue I see it as a bit of an extension of the happier Scott that we’ve in Hickman’s run and the dad joke Scott from Duggan’s Cable run.
    You're right, Kingdom X. As I told other friends who are Scott's fans too: this portrayal is consistent to Krakoa Scott. But it doesn't mean it's a good thing... :(