Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I have to say...I'm enjoying these "one-and-dones" very much.
    Well, what's wonderful about what Duggan is doing is that, because of how much action he writes into each one, he makes every issue feel like a "one-and-done," but he's obviously building a unified story centered on an intriguing core group of villains with very precise aims, and which could potentially give the new team years of trouble. Only three issues have been released, and already the stakes feel high, at least to me. Of course, with Inferno and The Trial of Magneto looming, one is tempted to chalk up the goings-on in this book to just filler, but I think it's telling that it is one of the only titles that is going to continue past both events...

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

This is so NOT "filler". It's clearly building it's own "world" and MO outside of Krakoa and all the internal strife there (ToM is really of no consequence and should have stayed an X-Factor story-arc. And Inferno is directly tied to the ruling structure and the Nation as a whole)...which I very much appreciate. Yes, Orchis being this era's Big Bad is there in the shadows but not as a direct threat, not currently.

Yes, the stakes are quite high, but that's what I expect of and from an X-Men title, especially this team.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

This is so NOT "filler". It's clearly building it's own "world" and MO outside of Krakoa and all the internal strife there (ToM is really of no consequence and should have stayed an X-Factor story-arc. And Inferno is directly tied to the ruling structure and the Nation as a whole)...which I very much appreciate. Yes, Orchis being this era's Big Bad is there in the shadows but not as a direct threat, not currently.

Yes, the stakes are quite high, but that's what I expect of and from an X-Men title, especially this team.
    Exactly. Personally, I am happy that this group, thus far, is away from the insanity that is about to unravel in Krakoa. Of course, more than likely, they will be drawn into it one way or another, but I hope it does not affect their union as a team. Better still, I hope whatever goes down in Krakoa only strengthens this group's ties.

What would you say are your favorite aspects of this series so far?

For me, I love that Duggan leans into the action, and I quite enjoy his brisk and breezy style of writing. He keeps me invested and yearning for more, but not in a way that feels like the story is dragging or purposefully stalling. Of course, as I have already mentioned ad nauseam, I love how he is slowly establishing Jean as a grounded and decisive leader. Frankly, I have been both taken aback and seduced by his rendering of her. A poster in another thread described her in this book as "Zombie Jean," and I was like -

Are we reading the same character here? Firstly, I love that Duggan's not depicting her falling over herself over Scott, or visa versa, nor demurely deferring to him. This wouldn't be a realistic rendering of her, especially after everything they have been through, as a couple and as individuals. They seem confident together and like they have grown past the puppy love phase of their relationship, to which it would just irritate me to see them reduced, especially, again, after everything they have been through.

So far, as a leader, Duggan writes her how she was depicted in X-Men: Red, which I very much appreciate. She actually acts like and is treated by Scott and the others as a leader.

I've also found myself enamored with Scott more than I have been in some time. He is given ample room to showcase his tactical expertise and genius but is also revealing a softer, gentler, more cooperative, and laid-back side of himself that I find progressive rather than out of character. Consequently, I perceive him as confident and self-assured. I like that he isn't just barking orders but is consulting with his team members, like Synch, about what the next course of action should be. I find him alluring as a result.

Polaris, too, is written to be a perfect mix of powerful, blunt, and irreverent. She strikes me as someone who has been through and seen too much **** to have many fucks left to give - and whatever fucks she does have left, she throws them to the wind - and I like that. Duggan's take on her is both refreshing and intriguing.

Synch comes off wise beyond his years, which is apropos, and his potentially limitless powers are underscored in a way that indicates he will be a standout in this series. Duggan makes me care for and want to know more about him. I love the dignity with which he imbues him.

Rogue, as always, is a hoot, though I look forward to Duggan delving deeper into her character. Appropriately, for now, Sunfire and Wolverine come off stoic and focused on the battles at hand. They seem impenetrable, but we all know that they are not. There's a mysterious quality to both of them that tells me Duggan will be revealing more about them than we think. "Still waters run deep," and all of that.

Overall, I am pleased with this team and wouldn't mind them remaining a unit for some years.
    Last edited by Mercury; 10-02-2021 at 12:07 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

We are in perfect synch with the reasons why I am immensely enjoying each of Duggan's X-Men and his writing this team, as a whole.
    But I have to say...a large part of my enjoyment so far is the action and fast pacing...I truly missed that throughout this X-Era. Even when he's character -focused, he's not wasting time and space and dialogue putting in moments that don't serve the story he's telling. Every scene feels important.

Then there's Larraz's art and Gracia's colours. They alone can sell this book to me, that's how much I love the visuals.

I wouldn't mind this team staying as is for more than the allotted year but I also wouldn't mind seeing Duggan write some different characters in the role as X-men either, if he keeps this intensity.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

We are in perfect synch with the reasons why I am immensely enjoying each of Duggan's X-Men and his writing this team, as a whole.
    It's great to read that I am not alone.

But I have to say...a large part of my enjoyment so far is the action and fast pacing...I truly missed that throughout this X-Era. Even when he's character -focused, he's not wasting time and space and dialogue putting in moments that don't serve the story he's telling. Every scene feels important.
    I totally get this and agree with you. We have had enough world-building - two years of, really - and it's refreshing to read a book that is focused on moving the plot along while also showcasing amazing character feats and keeping us engaged.

Then there's Larraz's art and Gracia's colours. They alone can sell this book to me, that's how much I love the visuals.
    Yeah, these two, together and apart, are heaven. Their combined efforts gives the book such a rich, sumptuous quality.

I wouldn't mind this team staying as is for more than the allotted year but I also wouldn't mind seeing Duggan write some different characters in the role as X-men either, if he keeps this intensity.
    I really am not down for the yearly switch-ups, so hopefully, they will decide not to go in that direction, though I wouldn't mind tons of guest stars and surprise appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    This is coming up in issue #5:

So did Parasite decide to come visit from the distinguished competition?
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Either him or a proto-xenonomorph, also Commander cobra is that you?

Ultimate Member

I've also found myself enamored with Scott more than I have been in some time. He is given ample room to showcase his tactical expertise and genius but is also revealing a softer, gentler, more cooperative, and laid-back side of himself that I find progressive rather than out of character. Consequently, I perceive him as confident and self-assured. I like that he isn't just barking orders but is consulting with his team members, like Synch, about what the next course of action should be. I find him alluring as a result.
    While I'm a total fan of Scott and Emma, I think that Scott is just more relaxed around Jean. Emma's always testing, pushing, and Scott comes off a bit harder edged, because he's kind of locked into a low-key power struggle with the person who *should* be 100% on his side and he can kind of trust to do more or less what he would have done anyway. Jean is that person. He seems far more relaxed around her, because he knows she's going to do the right thing, even if he doesn't understand everything going on over on that side of the fight.

With Jean on the team, Scott feels more like 'one of the gang' and less like he has to be the General 24/7, and keeping everyone else marching in lockstep. And that's kind of interesting, since this current team has multiple members he's not hugely familiar with, like Synch and Sunfire, and to a lesser extent, Polaris (who, historically, has been more likely to be off on an X-Factor team, or even leading one!) and Wolverine.

Polaris, too, is written to be a perfect mix of powerful, blunt, and irreverent. She strikes me as someone who has been through and seen too much **** to have many fucks left to give - and whatever fucks she does have left, she throws them to the wind - and I like that. Duggan's take on her is both refreshing and intriguing.
    Yeah, I'm loving her insouciant attitude. She's been doing this mutant thing since before Wolverine, Storm, etc. were even invented, and she's thrown Krakoa into space, the last time he got uppity. She takes no guff, and I love the way she floats into battle holding a coffee, like it's not even worth setting down her drink.

That said, if Rogue was copping the same 'tude, I'd also find it 100% in-character, so while it's fun to see laid-back Lorna, it does feel a tiny bit like she's sneaking a bite off Rogue's plate. I'm interested in seeing what Duggan has in mind to differentiate the two ladies, since he hasn't, IMO, really done much with Rogue (or Sunfire) yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    That said, if Rogue was copping the same 'tude, I'd also find it 100% in-character, so while it's fun to see laid-back Lorna, it does feel a tiny bit like she's sneaking a bite off Rogue's plate. I'm interested in seeing what Duggan has in mind to differentiate the two ladies, since he hasn't, IMO, really done much with Rogue (or Sunfire) yet.
    Literally with Rogue he has not done anything (and Lorna technically neither), a couple of funny words, a scan that shows is super strong and invulnerable, but real development 0 ... and the rest automatically becomes a beautiful wallpaper, a nice filling at least for now.
    of course the worst part of this book is still carried by poor Laura.

It seems incredible that we are talking about the same Guy who wrote Rogue in such detail in Uncanny Avengers.
    nothing to do with this now X_x

While I'm a total fan of Scott and Emma, I think that Scott is just more relaxed around Jean. Emma's always testing, pushing, and Scott comes off a bit harder edged, because he's kind of locked into a low-key power struggle with the person who *should* be 100% on his side and he can kind of trust to do more or less what he would have done anyway. Jean is that person. He seems far more relaxed around her, because he knows she's going to do the right thing, even if he doesn't understand everything going on over on that side of the fight.

With Jean on the team, Scott feels more like 'one of the gang' and less like he has to be the General 24/7, and keeping everyone else marching in lockstep. And that's kind of interesting, since this current team has multiple members he's not hugely familiar with, like Synch and Sunfire, and to a lesser extent, Polaris (who, historically, has been more likely to be off on an X-Factor team, or even leading one!) and Wolverine.
    I agree although I am not a fan of Scott and Emma, and not for the reasons people think. (I consider him equally if not more responsible for engaging in the telepathic affair years ago.) First, there's how I feel about Emma. Admittedly, I have to catch up on her history - I've been meaning to read her solo series for some time but haven't gotten around to it - but I'm just not a fan of her brand of elitism and materialism. I don't like those qualities in real people, never mind in comic book characters. Also, she's perpetrated too many reprehensible abuses on others that have been conveniently swept under the rug, which makes her rebranding as an antihero seem a bit forced to me. I'm not sold on her.

As for why I am not a fan of her and Scott as a couple, aside from not really liking Emma, I don't feel their relationship developed organically. It started with her forcefully seducing him, even after he asked her to stop, and was only consummated after Jean, as the White Phoenix, altered reality so that they could be together. Furthermore, I was really turned off by her mind-controlling a teenage Scott, "attempting to rewrite his personality" to change him "into the man he is supposed to be." I found that to be not only a desperate but also a pretty gross attempt at getting back with him, especially since he was around 15 years old at the time.

In either case, I love that Duggan seems to be leaning into and underscoring Jean and Scott's friendship without resorting to romantic tropes to do so. I've shared before that I prefer Jean to be single, but I am very intrigued by the dynamic Duggan is developing between her and Scott. They are written as equals and, as you pointed out, he seems much more relaxed and confident as a result. If you compare the way they interacted twenty to forty years ago with the way they do now, it is clear that they have both grown and developed as a couple and as individuals, which is what we should see happen to all characters and relationships in comic books.

Yeah, I'm loving her insouciant attitude. She's been doing this mutant thing since before Wolverine, Storm, etc. were even invented, and she's thrown Krakoa into space, the last time he got uppity. She takes no guff, and I love the way she floats into battle holding a coffee, like it's not even worth setting down her drink.
    Exactly!

I can understand why you see it as Lorna "sneaking a bite off Rogue's plate," though Rogue has never really been fussy or insouciant. She would've carried her own damn luggage, never thought of bringing Starbucks coffee into battle, and wouldn't have cared enough to have the last insulting word. Still, even she has grown per Duggan's rendering. Breaking up the card game and admonishing Gambit for inviting unsavory guests to the new headquarters seemed out of character but endearing. I do want more focus on her, Wolverine, and Sunfire, though. Then again, we're only three issues into the series, and Duggan has had to plant and establish quite a few seeds and arcs. I suspect he'll delve more into character development as the series continues.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Though it does definitely have Parasite looks, I get Doomsday vibes from the way it was being serially crafted and destroyed. Introducing Marvel's version of a Doomsday like creature(assuming it is) in the X-World would be gold dust imo.
    Last edited by Rev9; 10-03-2021 at 01:31 PM.

Astonishing Member

I agree although I am not a fan of Scott and Emma, and not for the reasons people think. (I consider him equally if not more responsible for engaging in the telepathic affair years ago.) First, there's how I feel about Emma. Admittedly, I have to catch up on her history - I've been meaning to read her solo series for some time but haven't gotten around to it - but I'm just not a fan of her brand of elitism and materialism. I don't like those qualities in real people, never mind in comic book characters. Also, she's perpetrated too many reprehensible abuses on others that have been conveniently swept under the rug, which makes her rebranding as an antihero seem a bit forced to me. I'm not sold on her.

As for why I am not a fan of her and Scott as a couple, aside from not really liking Emma, I don't feel their relationship developed organically. It started with her forcefully seducing him, even after he asked her to stop, and was only consummated after Jean, as the White Phoenix, altered reality so that they could be together. Furthermore, I was really turned off by her mind-controlling a teenage Scott, "attempting to rewrite his personality" to change him "into the man he is supposed to be." I found that to be not only a desperate but also a pretty gross attempt at getting back with him, especially since he was around 15 years old at the time.

In either case, I love that Duggan seems to be leaning into and underscoring Jean and Scott's friendship without resorting to romantic tropes to do so. I've shared before that I prefer Jean to be single, but I am very intrigued by the dynamic Duggan is developing between her and Scott. They are written as equals and, as you pointed out, he seems much more relaxed and confident as a result. If you compare the way they interacted twenty to forty years ago with the way they do now, it is clear that they have both grown and developed as a couple and as individuals, which is what we should see happen to all characters and relationships in comic books.

Exactly!

I can understand why you see it as Lorna "sneaking a bite off Rogue's plate," though Rogue has never really been fussy or insouciant. She would've carried her own damn luggage, never thought of bringing Starbucks coffee into battle, and wouldn't have cared enough to have the last insulting word. Still, even she has grown per Duggan's rendering. Breaking up the card game and admonishing Gambit for inviting unsavory guests to the new headquarters seemed out of character but endearing. I do want more focus on her, Wolverine, and Sunfire, though. Then again, we're only three issues into the series, and Duggan has had to plant and establish quite a few seeds and arcs. I suspect he'll delve more into character development as the series continues.
    Agree with everything you say about Emma, with regard to them already being a family with Jean .I like that this run doesn't take us through wooing and all that juvenile stuff.I want after all these years to see their relationship stable but shown from within, obviously it can be tested but I just like the mature status quo , the only bit I don't really understand or have no interest in is Hickman's polyamory arrangement , that's a total.. wtf?.. for me.

It's okay that you like what Duggan is doing with Jean, but don't lie saying that Rogue has grown up with Duggan in this race at least for now is a resounding and absolute no, Rogue in all 3 issues says a couple of sassy things, and the rest is a nice wallpaper, the development of Rogue by Duggan at least so far is zero.

If you were referring to Uncanny Avengers where Rogue was the main protagonist, you would have a point, but it is not the case, it seems incredible that it is the same writer X_x

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    It's okay that you like what Duggan is doing with Jean, but don't lie saying that Rogue has grown up with Duggan in this race at least for now is a resounding and absolute no, Rogue in all 3 issues says a couple of sassy things, and the rest is a nice wallpaper, the development of Rogue by Duggan at least so far is zero.

If you were referring to Uncanny Avengers where Rogue was the main protagonist, you would have a point, but it is not the case, it seems incredible that it is the same writer X_x
    It's been 3 issues. As you said, in Uncanny Rogue was the leader and protagonist, here she's not. Issue #3 actually featured her a lot and properly acknowledged her time on the Avengers and her experience with the High Evolutionary, so no, it really doesn't seem incredible that this is the same writer, when he's strongly referencing the story of that previous run lol. She'll eventually have an issue where her reason for joining the X-Men is explained. And since we know Duggan likes her he's likely to have plans for her. The team being divided in 2 is also probably gonna help with focusing on certain members for a bit.

Also from what I remember you didn't even like what Duggan did with Rogue in UA and was complaining that this would be the same, so what's with the sudden "Wow, can't believe the same writer from UA is doing her terrible now"?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It's been 3 issues. As you said, in Uncanny Rogue was the leader and protagonist, here she's not. Issue #3 actually featured her a lot and properly acknowledged her time on the Avengers and her experience with the High Evolutionary, so no, it really doesn't seem incredible that this is the same writer, when he's strongly referencing the story of that previous run lol. She'll eventually have an issue where her reason for joining the X-Men is explained. And since we know Duggan likes her he's likely to have plans for her. The team being divided in 2 is also probably gonna help with focusing on certain members for a bit.
    Not really, and that's no excuse when Jean doesn't stop talking or functioning as a storyteller and Synch in all numbers has a great idea or long and elaborate dialogues (which Rogue barely talks to say a couple of generic things or sassys , and then go back to being wallpaper) and they did not recognize anything, many people say this issue would be a number focused on Rogue because of the cover, and her relationship with the HE I doubted it at that time, and I was right, it was good not to wait nothing nor have expectations.

Pair funny phrases and then most of the wallpapper issue, that's how these 3 numbers Rogue...have been, and that "just the third issue" isn't worth it to me since this group will only last a year, so each issue how many, and practically we are going through the fourth part of the life of this book.
    Last edited by Sylarmax; 10-03-2021 at 04:00 PM.