Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

I like how in X-Factor Lorna spoke like a virgin 18th Century Romantic poet ("forsooth! I will evanesce and scintillate into the aether!" - Keats, not Byron), and in this she's a total chad smashing fools with ridiculous scrap knuckle dusters in her best Saturday Special meat-market dress.

I wonder if this will tie into Marauders where Duggan brought up Kingpin as well.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

YOU also dont have to come into a spoiler thread. Just saying.

Awesome awesome issue. Loved it!

Love how Polaris, Synch, and Rogue stole the show!
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

So, three issues into this series, and I am officially hooked. Duggan, who, in my opinion, seems to fully grasp and understand each character, is doing some of his best work here, effortlessly alternating between exciting action sequences and scenes dipped in mystery and intrigue, leaving me hungry for more, which is always a good thing. Needless to say, Larraz's renderings are utterly immersive and lend the stories a potent palpability and immediacy that hit the sweet spot. Finally, Marte Gracia does wonders with colors, his palette spanning gloriously from dark and rich to vibrant and prismatic. (What can I say? I am in love with this creative team!)

From the beginning, I have found the big baddies - Kelvin Heng (aka Feilong), Cordyceps Jones, and Dr. Stasis - like specters lurking on the edges of each issue, fascinating and alluring. However, throwing Henry Gyrich and the High Evolutionary into the mix has only upped the stakes. (What will each of them do? Who will be the one to hit the X-Men where it hurts first? Will they combine their efforts?) I am curious to see how Duggan's work here will tie into what Hickman plans to unfold - and unravel - during Inferno. I cannot wait to witness what they've got cooked up and how it will all play out and get served. On a sterling silver platter, I'm sure. (Also, what will Ben Urich do?!)

I don't think I have ever fallen in love so quickly with a new team before, but, as I previously noted, this may be because the origins of each of these characters span the entire nearly-60 year history of the X-Men. As a result, everyone feels familiar and like family and, better yet, is treated with dignity, respect, and a fundamental understanding of what moves, drives, and makes them tick. Duggan is slowly teasing out each team member's emotional life and does a good job of giving them each bits and moments in which to stretch and breathe and display their individual quirks and tendencies.

Finally, is it me, or has this been the best Jean Grey in some time? Mind you, unlike some, I have enjoyed her portrayal in The Trial of Magneto so far. And Hickman doesn't get enough credit for writing some of her best moments since her official return to comics in 2018, including her team-up with Emma Frost in Giant-Size X-Men, in which she, once again, saved Emma and was pivotal in rescuing Storm, and her scenes in X-Men, in which she was the first to step down from the Quiet Council, the first to refuse their offer of reappointment, and the first to found this new team.

However, what Duggan has done with Jean, starting with Cable and spanning both Planet Size X-Men and this new series, has been wondrous to behold. He imbues her with a level of grace, nonchalance, decisiveness, and self-assuredness that I have been missing for a very long time. He writes and treats her like an experienced leader who has seen and been through a lot and is not easily moved. And this is taking into consideration that he has yet to center a story around her, the possibilities of which both thrill and propel me into endless daydreams.

This series makes me genuinely happy and excited and, most importantly, leaves me craving for more. A+
    Last edited by Mercury; 09-22-2021 at 10:00 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    YOU also dont have to come into a spoiler thread. Just saying.
    LMAO, why are people coming into threads titled "SPOILERS" to complain about seeing spoilers?

I could understand if there was an actual spoiler in the title, but the spoilers were all inside the thread...

I love this book. Duggan and Larraz are an amazing pair

Issue #3 was another strong issue that balanced the team quite well.

Rogue came off very strong in the issue and showed some southern hospitality to the High Evolutionary.

Lorna threw her first punch in a long awhile and had a few good one liners. I liked her use of the word 'cool' very '60s. She also had what I took as a reference to the story arc Powerless when the HE depowered all mutants.

Laura and Synch had a good moment. Synch was a highlight and his decision will probably haunt the team. Jean and Scott had a number of nice moments.

Overall this is a great book.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-22-2021 at 10:16 AM.

Mighty Member

Also, how about Sinister dissing the High Evolutionary? Wonder if that will come into play now that H.E. has Sync's DNA (which def will come back to haunt him)? Maybe this will inspire Sinister to pick it up with Chimeras?

Maybe story where H.E. makes post-humans (which would tie into Laura/Everett's story w COTV) and Sinister makes Chimeras?

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Issue #3 was another strong issue that balanced the team quite well.

Rogue came off very strong in the issue and showed some southern hospitality to the High Evolutionary.

Lorna threw her first punch in a long awhile and had a few good one liners. I liked her use of the word 'cool' very '60s. She also had a reference to the story arc Powerless.

Laura and Synch had a good moment. Synch was a highlight and his decision will probably haunt the team. Jean and Scott had a number of nice moments.

Overall this is a great book.
    Agreed! This is the beauty of what Duggan is doing here: He's giving all of the characters definitive moments! Lorna had me dying with her quip about Luminous' limitations. Lorna to Rogue: "We'll get the last lick--watch this." Lorna to Luminous: "Hey, sugar! Didja know your old man had a kill switch for your powers?" Lorna to Rogue again: "Ha! You see that B's face?" 😂

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Also, how about Sinister dissing the High Evolutionary? Wonder if that will come into play now that H.E. has Sync's DNA (which def will come back to haunt him)? Maybe this will inspire Sinister to pick it up with Chimeras?
    Sinister dissing the High Evo had me laughing. I genuinely laughed a lot with the issue (and in a good way). Thanks Larraz for giving me a panel of Scott wrestling a monke.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    LMAO, why are people coming into threads titled "SPOILERS" to complain about seeing spoilers?

I could understand if there was an actual spoiler in the title, but the spoilers were all inside the thread...
    I come to spoiler threads specifically to read spoilers.
    My flag is bacon.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    Sinister dissing the High Evo had me laughing. I genuinely laughed a lot with the issue (and in a good way). Thanks Larraz for giving me a panel of Scott wrestling a monke.
    And him fighting a Tesla-Elephant hybrid monster while proclaiming that the X-Men love elephants. lol.

Didn't care for Cyclops here. He doesn't always have to be stoic and stiff, but I didn't like him throwing out corny lines. It's giving me flashbacks Jason Aaron's Robbie Reyes. The scene at the end with Jean was cute, though.

Astonishing Member

Weird for Synch after everything he's been through in the vault,to give his blood to HE just like that. Are they trying to dumb down the character or does he not know who HE is?
    Last edited by Rev9; 09-22-2021 at 10:48 AM.