Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Yeah, that's "Prestige" levels of terrible.

At least it isn't "Before time began, there was.... the Cube."

I was a bit bored by this issue, outside of Cortez's admission of his own mediocrity and Onslaught deleting the Cerebro backups. Nightcrawler deserves better.
    lol. I'm just glad a black person got to be part of the foundation of something for once. Sure it was as the opening for a hellish entity to enter the resurrurection protocols by latching on to her hate that was SO DEEP no other power could route it out. And she got to help solve the issue by force so, yay. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

...is that Blindfold in the background of the new team?

Does anyone know who the guy with the rifle is? He's in front of Juggernaut and above Kurt.

Also interested to see how Juggernaut was recruited into this group.

Is that forget me not and blindfold?? Huh, guess things really are changing after inferno
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Legionaires is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I can't see DC being ok with Marvel using the name.
    It's missing an "n" so they are cool i think.

So... I guess everything just got solved with the power of friendship and making stuff up? Seriously, did they beat Onslaught by going to Legion's mind dimension, linking everyone's psyche with Dust (has she ever done anything like this before?), and by having everyone "accept themselves for who they are"?

Like, what was learned from all of this? That a system of resurrection is reliant on every part not failing? That bad guys are somehow able to implant psychic entities onto emotional cores of a psyche at an undetectable level?

There are two real messages I could dig out of this, and using Onslaught garbled both of them--1) death shouldn't be taken lightly because the system, like any other, is prone to flaws and exploitation, or 2) death shouldn't be taken lightly because a civilization with no values will collapse on itself. #1 is so obvious that it really shouldn't require a ton of exposition to delve into. Of course, #2 seemed to be where the book was heading (that was the whole point of Legion's brain simulation), and it would have been much much more interesting for it, but then it drifted toward #1 and we didn't have anything philosophically interesting to say.

Now, the main reason I picked up the book in the first place was to support Nightcrawler, but I really don't get the impression Spurrier understands Kurt. Like, have none of the X-writers ever read Excalibur? Why are Jason Aaron and Chris Claremont the only ones who treat him right? Does no one get that being a sanctimonious proselytizing douche isn't why people like Kurt?

If nothing else, at least Nightcrawler got his beard back. Way of X should have been better.
    Last edited by Tobinator; 09-22-2021 at 07:31 PM.

Are Muslim groups typically called a congregation? Because I've always heard it as a Christian thing. I know its a minor detail but it really bugs me.

All the niceties about expanding on our future and being better on that Spark data page all got undercut by ending it on a threat. Why not just have a nice moment? A feel good message? Even THIS has to be about destroying people who wrong them? After that **** with Lost and Cortez, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Kurt looking large and in charge.
    Attachment 113988
    Digging the new outfit but not a fan of the beard. It’s kinda weird on a character that’s already fuzzy as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Digging the new outfit but not a fan of the beard. It’s kinda weird on a character that’s already fuzzy as is.
    How. DARE. You. A beard is the best thing to happen to Kurt in 23 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Yeah, I know I’m in the minority but I hate the bearded look on Nightcrawler.

Yeah sorry Exodus philosophy is far better than "the Spark"

Exodus is all about mutants understanding they are not less than humans, never forgetting all the damage and pain that humans have caused, because at the end of the day they will always hate you thus you must be ready. That together as mutants they can accomplish more than humans.

The spark is telling me to be understanding to my enemies in order to find pure happiness? Be a creative individual who helps his fellow mutants.

yeah that's cool and all but what about these crazy humans bud

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    This was another book hyped up with answering big questions and then punted on all of them. I suspected Onslaught would get taken out like a chump, and he did. Onslaught being around because of Orchis combined with the punting of the big issues just rubbed me the wrong way. See, its all the HUMANS fault everything was bad!

I really really really hated how they handled Lost. This was yet another case where a victim in an X book was basically told/forced to forgive their abuser while the abuser largely gets off scott free. Yes I know she says she doesn't forgive him but doesn't hate him. It felt like splitting hairs. Its just uncomforable for me.

They can give it as many fancy capitalized Proper Noun titles as they like, but all 'the Spark' sounds like is basic human decency 101. The kind of thing you learn from watching Barney and Nick Jr. Its silly that its treated like a big revelation and the solution to the moral rot in Krakoa.

Its honestly not a terrible story. Just disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobinator View Post
    So... I guess everything just got solved with the power of friendship and making stuff up? Seriously, did they beat Onslaught by going to Legion's mind dimension, linking everyone's psyche with Dust (has she ever done anything like this before?), and by having everyone "accept themselves for who they are"?

Like, what was learned from all of this? That a system of resurrection is reliant on every part not failing? That bad guys are somehow able to implant psychic entities onto emotional cores of a psyche at an undetectable level?

There are two real messages I could dig out of this, and using Onslaught garbled both of them--1) death shouldn't be taken lightly because the system, like any other, is prone to flaws and exploitation, or 2) death shouldn't be taken lightly because a civilization with no values will collapse on itself. #1 is so obvious that it really shouldn't require a ton of exposition to delve into. Of course, #2 seemed to be where the book was heading (that was the whole point of Legion's brain simulation), and it would have been much much more interesting for it, but then it drifted toward #1 and we didn't have anything philosophically interesting to say.

Now, the main reason I picked up the book in the first place was to support Nightcrawler, but I really don't get the impression Spurrier understands Kurt. Like, have none of the X-writers ever read Excalibur? Why are Jason Aaron and Chris Claremont the only ones who treat him right? Does no one get that being a sanctimonious proselytizing douche isn't why people like Kurt?

If nothing else, at least Nightcrawler got his beard back. Way of X should have been better.
    The ‘spark’ really isn’t the epiphany Spurrier seems to think it is. For the mutants of Krakoa to not understand or practice this already just makes them look like terrible people. I do not accept that Onslaught corrupted every single person on this island, purely because now it’s been ‘fixed’ we should expect to see a change in the mutants from now on, but we won’t.

Respecting, embracing and exploring your own and others individuality has always been part of Kurt’s fundamental character. The fact he had to re-learn this because he somehow forgot makes me feel like the Way of X series was about Nightcrawler recovering from a mental breakdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    Yeah sorry Exodus philosophy is far better than "the Spark"

Exodus is all about mutants understanding they are not less than humans, never forgetting all the damage and pain that humans have caused, because at the end of the day they will always hate you thus you must be ready. That together as mutants they can accomplish more than humans.

The spark is telling me to be understanding to my enemies in order to find pure happiness? Be a creative individual who helps his fellow mutants.

yeah that's cool and all but what about these crazy humans bud
    While the Spark got some BS going on too, I don’t think any culture should be solely based around hating your oppressors. At some point it’s not empowering for mutants to base their beliefs around how they feel about humans cause then they’ll never be able to truly be free.

I have more thoughts on this book, I didn’t hate it, it was okay but it left me with un-answered questions. I expected the spark to be something like this but it really does nothing to address mutant morality, which Spurrier has been feeding us for the entire five issues. How does this spark answer/resolve people killing themselves for fun? Is it meant to be respected, forgiven, disapproved of? The most glaring omission for me is how are we meant to take the mass child abandonment that occurred in Way of X 3? Is that okay now because we’re exploring mutants individual wants and needs, is it still a problem?

I don’t expect Spurrier to wrap everything up but some idea of what the Spark looks like in practice would be a good starting point. All I’ve seen of the Spark so far is Kurt lamenting about it and a whistle stop tour of Legion’s giant psychic community centre.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    While the Spark got some BS going on too, I don’t think any culture should be solely based around hating your oppressors. At some point it’s not empowering for mutants to base their beliefs around how they feel about humans cause then they’ll never be able to truly be free.
    Whatever it’s flaws, I’ve got to love a comic which engenders such a discussion, rather than just ‘well my powers are stronger than your powers’.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Legionaries, not Legion. And if Marvel got away with Wonder Man...
    DC published a Legion comic titled Legionnaires for years, thought.