Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    This was another book hyped up with answering big questions and then punted on all of them. I suspected Onslaught would get taken out like a chump, and he did. Onslaught being around because of Orchis combined with the punting of the big issues just rubbed me the wrong way. See, its all the HUMANS fault everything was bad!

I really really really hated how they handled Lost. This was yet another case where a victim in an X book was basically told/forced to forgive their abuser while the abuser largely gets off scott free. Yes I know she says she doesn't forgive him but doesn't hate him. It felt like splitting hairs. Its just uncomforable for me.

They can give it as many fancy capitalized Proper Noun titles as they like, but all 'the Spark' sounds like is basic human decency 101. The kind of thing you learn from watching Barney and Nick Jr. Its silly that its treated like a big revelation and the solution to the moral rot in Krakoa.

Its honestly not a terrible story. Just disappointing.
    Agree, this story should have at least been a natural growth from whatever follows in Inferno, if it was written post inferno I think it would work better .For one making the kind of decisions Kurt makes have more weight when you decide to go on with the protocols or not (when they are in question) not just coming to a eureka moment when the status quo remains a status quo ..If Onslaught as perhaps a sentient offshoot of Xavier leaving his imprint on minds he parses, wanted a foothold in reality despite Protocols being outlawed for another reason, to me would be way more organic. Orchis getting their hands on Onslaught is just bewildering and contrived, Onslaught was shoehorned haphazardly not organically. Dust pulling out an ability from nowhere was contrived af too Everything to me seemed a mess and to top it off now Kurt goes from a conflicted theist (if he can be termed that) to an objectivist with no internal reflection to go from A to B, all prior to this he was just listening to people disparaging his thought process and now he's suddenly espousing new ethics? It leaves me wondering how he got there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I did not read the conclusion, so this may be 'answered' but it seems like all of the Patchwork Man stuff was building up before Lost go there. Based on outside knowledge of the conception of this title and the timing of it, I stand by the statement that there were rewrites from early on some things just did not add up correctly in the end.
    I didn't even catch that, so true, no wonder everything feels disjointed!

Enjoyed the issue even though it was very busy. I still can’t explain exactly what happened to Onslaught at the end… When Xavier started deleting backups… that was scary. I hope he didn’t delete anyone that wasn’t already alive. I think they said it was just the children, who were all still kicking.

Looking forward to Legionaries, even if it is a stupid name. And I HATE KURT WITH A BEARD! UGH!

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I did not read the conclusion, so this may be 'answered' but it seems like all of the Patchwork Man stuff was building up before Lost go there. Based on outside knowledge of the conception of this title and the timing of it, I stand by the statement that there were rewrites from early on some things just did not add up correctly in the end.
    I think Spurrier has mentioned in interviews that he started with the Patchwork Man concept and the wider X-Office suggested Onslaught.

Astonishing Member

One thing I find strange in this whole story that Legion's words 'I don't trust you' when referring to Xavier and Magneto, are meant to refer to Onslaught already having an influence, that's fine.Although Legion was crafted by the five, he resurrected himself because he has that sort of ability is also fine.However if we back up to Xavier's words 'He's too unstable..one little lapse and he could tear down everything we've
    built' could we then assume that is Onslaught speaking through Xavier or Xavier speaking cognizant of his secrets with Moira and Magneto? I tend to think it's the latter.If Orchis somehow control Onslaught or at least manipulated his being wouldn't the first assumption mean they know what Xavier knows thus know of Moira? That seems to make Mystique irrelevant in the grand scheme of this were true.However accepting the latter while keeping the relevance of Mystique intact leaves me wondering why Legion with his vast knowledge of Onslaught ,helped to trap and defeat him and yet kept mum to NC that there are bigger secrets at play? Maybe he wants Xavier utterly humiliated and so didn't out him or care if Moira's survival matters at all..
    Last edited by Rev9; 09-24-2021 at 06:37 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I think Spurrier has mentioned in interviews that he started with the Patchwork Man concept and the wider X-Office suggested Onslaught.
    Well I can appreciate the honesty if he was open about that. I may just pick this up on the weekend if my shop still has it.

Its all just messy. I don't understand how Kurt changed, if at all. I don't understand why anyone would listen to him when they clearly weren't and were constantly degrading and insulting him. And the way Dust was used was just kind of uncomfortable to me. Like Spurrier wanted to involve one of the other prominent religious characters in a story tangentially involving religion but because the story got edited down/cut short, Dust didn't really get to factor into anything until the very end, where her powers got a huge rewrite and she got a new name mostly associated with Christian churches. Its just weird. Like we were clearly supposed to be aware of her religion, but then she largely didn't matter until she helped start this new pseudo religion. It made her and her faith feel like a prop, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    It's not a copyright issue in the slightest. Only trademark. They're completely different things.
    I thought copyright was what protected literary ip and trademark protected logos. Either way you know what I meant.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Its copyright. A very specific and limited copyright, but copyright.

BANNED

Finally, got to read this issue and can only say is wow, what a clumsily written book, it was all over the place art and story-wise...

Gotta say, the lineup for the next book seems custom-built to flop. Whatever this book was missing as a sales draw - Juggernaut and ghost Blindfold sure wasn't it.

That premise seems like a hard sell, too. I have no interest in a book about moral guardians. If Kurt runs this show without the Council's approval, why shouldn't Krakoans rightfully tell him to shove it?

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    That premise seems like a hard sell, too. I have no interest in a book about moral guardians. If Kurt runs this show without the Council's approval, why shouldn't Krakoans rightfully tell him to shove it?
    I wish Legionaries would be a group that defends the peace on the island: stepping in for example if a powerful mutant is hurting or taking advantage of those with weaker power sets.
    But after reading Spurrier’s take, I fear that they’re at worst going to be enforcers of the ‘spark’ ideology. Which will be complete nonsense since he has yet to establish what the idea of the ‘spark’ looks like in practice nor how this new mutant morality is any different from human morality.

There's also the confusing data page about the 'spark' that ended on a threat to destroy anyone who threatens their happiness. What? Why involve that? So you have this vague moral guardians thing that really just feels like common sense and basic decency. And then there's that threat. So is this new team going to be policing Krakoa (without authorization) or are they just another super team facing outside threats?

I'm just disappointed and confused by this. I don't understand how Kurt accomplished anything after everyone else spent the series mocking and ignoring him.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    There's also the confusing data page about the 'spark' that ended on a threat to destroy anyone who threatens their happiness. What? Why involve that? So you have this vague moral guardians thing that really just feels like common sense and basic decency. And then there's that threat. So is this new team going to be policing Krakoa (without authorization) or are they just another super team facing outside threats?

I'm just disappointed and confused by this. I don't understand how Kurt accomplished anything after everyone else spent the series mocking and ignoring him.
    Yeah, it’s weird that all those mutants who belittled him would do a 180 without reason. I’m not even sure the mutants are listening to him, Kurt was never shown to make the spark public knowledge and apart from a small group he’s spoke with, we can’t even be sure anyone even knows what he’s been doing. This astral plane community centre doesn’t require people who use it to know of the spark. Kurt and his legionaries would have to be missionaries going around the place hosting sermons and stopping people to ask if they accepted the spark into their life.

Maybe all the mutants caught up in that psychic tornado to defeat onslaught was given the knowledge and embraced the spark then? I dunno, it’s all vary vague. I guess we just have to assume this is a thing now.