Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Outside of Wrath of Khan, no one has mentioned a remake or sequel to a bad movie.
    I did not think STTMP was bad, not exactly good, but not bad.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

STTMP's plot isn't too bad-however it kind of lacks the chemistry, humor and fun that a lot of TOS had but it's a decent "cerebral" story. A lot of it's basic concepts were later used to set up TNG.

The other TOS movies were slightly 'dumbed down' in a sense, but that doesn't make them bad IMO.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Retired

HAPPY DEATH DAY wasn't a bad movie, but HAPPY DEATH DAY 2U was the superior movie.

I know T2 did better at the box office. I really don't recall how the Terminator fared at the box office or how it is perceived in comparison.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I mean, I love Carpenter's take...but the original isn't a bad movie by any objective stretch of the word.
    True, The Thing from Another World isn't a bad movie, guess just because it was improved upon makes it a easy pick for these lists, but the original is actually one of the better B&W B movies of its era.

I think we can all agree the original and the remake are both better than that other Thing from about a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    2012’s The Amazing Spider-man was better than 2002’s Spider-man.

2005’s King Kong was better than the OG 1933 version.
    I can't even comprehend this, especially the knock aganst the original King Kong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The 1951 original was a great scifi pic and a big hit. It beat both The Day the Earth Stood Still and When Worlds Collide that year. (both those are better movies)

The remake is very good, but not a remake of a bad movie or flop.
    Like I said, true. Serves me for making posts right before bed.
    The bit I remember best was when they were on the ice measuring what was under there, and them realizing they were in a perfect saucer-shaped circle. For some reason that scene has always struck me as so perfect and cinematic.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Airplane! is better than Zero Hour!

Turning a dramatic script into a comedy worked amazingly well and retroactively made the original better.
    Last edited by useridgoeshere; 09-23-2021 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I can't even comprehend this, especially the knock aganst the original King Kong.

Like I said, true. Serves me for making posts right before bed.
    The bit I remember best was when they were on the ice measuring what was under there, and them realizing they were in a perfect saucer-shaped circle. For some reason that scene has always struck me as so perfect and cinematic.
    Great scene.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Tron: Legacy wasn't terrible. It was watchable.

Jumanji too.

So...

Let's say there is First/Second/Third/Fourth film.

If film two is fairly bad and the third or fourth film is solid, is that going to count?

Saving a spot on the off chance that the Refn remake of Maniac Cop should ever actually come to be.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    So...

Let's say there is First/Second/Third/Fourth film.

If film two is fairly bad and the third or fourth film is solid, is that going to count?
    For the sake of just finding out which film you mean, yes.

Ouija was a terrible movie, noteworthy in its terribleness in a genre where terribleness is common. The Prequel, Ouija: Origin of Evil is a genuinely good horror movie anchorded by two incredibly strong performances by Annalise Basso and especially Lulu Wilson who was like 11 or 12 at the time. It's not a perfect movie, but it's really good and manages to be extremely effective, well-written horror despite the movie it's based on.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Outside of Wrath of Khan, no one has mentioned a remake or sequel to a bad movie.
    I did not think STTMP was bad, not exactly good, but not bad.
    I agree, no one has really offered any besides Wrath of Khan I agree with. STTMP I think counts enough as close enough to "bad" or otherwise we'd have like no films to offer. STTMP feels like it's "not bad" but also "not good."
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    The Thing
    tenchars
    Yep, that's the one right there. The original was not a awful movie & the concept is a good one. However, as a remake to a otherwise forgotten sci-fi flick, Carpenter remake absolutely obliterates the original & still terrifies today.

Also, the remake makes everyone appreciate how unique the original really was.
    Last edited by GOLGO 13; 09-23-2021 at 07:08 AM.