Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dan Slott and the lost "Swarm" story

https://www.gamesradar.com/spider-ma...zi-bees-honey/

Uh... wow. I never knew about this planned story.

I suppose it could have turned out okay. Or, it could have been cringeworthy, lol.

I thought the "fritz von meyer" persona was long ago purged from the Swarm collective, and now it's technically just a horde of angry bees whenever it shows up.
    I wouldn't mind seeing it again without the "Nazi honey" connection, lol..

Astonishing Member

The story sounds terrible.

Also, Slott has slowly evolved into looking like Santa Claus.

Extraordinary Member

Slott's ideas are much better than his execution, I don't want to imagine how this would have tuned out

Spectacular Member

Thank God it stayed lost
    Last edited by Noronha; 09-29-2021 at 08:37 AM.

I .ove Swarm and I am all for campy goofy stories. But Nazi Honey? I am glad this stayed in the never happened pile.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

Hitler's father was a bee keeper at one time Believe It or Not!

with the real-life issues of bee populations slowly dwindling, there could be a story in that somewhere. in the right hands, of course. Oh well.

I wouldn't mind if it showed up as a minor villain in the movies, with an updated non-nazi origin. And because of the Amazing Friends episode, I'm thinking a lot of people assume that that is the origin story. heh.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 09-29-2021 at 01:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I wish editors would do that more with some of the crap that has come out over the years.

BANNED

Well Marvel Editors haven't entirely lost their taste.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I think it would make a fun back up story, I mean a bug based bad guy for Pete sounds cool.

""Every Swarm story was the same Swarm story. He fires bees at you. I [tell my editor], 'I have an idea. I want to do a Swarm story. I know a new way of doing a Swarm story.' The editor is like, 'What is it?' I go, 'We've never seen what's happened to the honey,'" Slott explained.

"He goes, 'What?' I'm like, 'Yeah. He'd be selling the honey at farmer's market and stuff in disguise in a beekeeper suit or something. Everyone who eats the honey, since they're honey made of Nazi bees, become Nazis.'""

Man, I laughed as soon as I read the last sentence.

I think this is a story that could work, like 50 years ago, when super-heroes had wackier stories, but for a modern setting, yeah it could be weird... Whether it's a good weird or bad weird, we'll never know, but Slott himself thinks it'd be a bad idea lol.

Still, Swarm selling honey could work, maybe not making people into nazis, but maybe another convoluted super-villain plan, or just a side job where civilians feel really uncomfortable when learning they're eating nazi honey .

The "Giant Spider-Man fighting Fin Fang Foom", also sounds really silver age, not really sure it could be interesting even with "Giant Spider-Man" gimmick.

Rare footage of editors doing something good too.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Hitler's father was a bee keeper at one time Believe It or Not!
    That just makes the idea even funnier if true lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    ""Every Swarm story was the same Swarm story. He fires bees at you. I [tell my editor], 'I have an idea. I want to do a Swarm story. I know a new way of doing a Swarm story.' The editor is like, 'What is it?' I go, 'We've never seen what's happened to the honey,'" Slott explained.

"He goes, 'What?' I'm like, 'Yeah. He'd be selling the honey at farmer's market and stuff in disguise in a beekeeper suit or something. Everyone who eats the honey, since they're honey made of Nazi bees, become Nazis.'""

Man, I laughed as soon as I read the last sentence.

I think this is a story that could work, like 50 years ago, when super-heroes had wackier stories, but for a modern setting, yeah it could be weird... Whether it's a good weird or bad weird, we'll never know, but Slott himself thinks it'd be a bad idea lol.

Still, Swarm selling honey could work, maybe not making people into nazis, but maybe another convoluted super-villain plan, or just a side job where civilians feel really uncomfortable when learning they're eating nazi honey .

The "Giant Spider-Man fighting Fin Fang Foom", also sounds really silver age, not really sure it could be interesting even with "Giant Spider-Man" gimmick.

Rare footage of editors doing something good too.
    Slott has always seemed very Silver Age inspired in some form or another...

slott's never-published furry cosplay story should see print one day
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I think it could have been a fun little story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    The story sounds terrible.

Also, Slott has slowly evolved into looking like Santa Claus.
    Yes. Except he no longer gives gifts and just doles out coal.