Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Cover Contest, 22 Sep - 28 Sep: Autumn Has Arrived

I'm not going to be at all innovative in picking a topic this week. Today is the first day of autumn, so let's just go with that. (Yes, I realize that for you folks south of the equator today is instead the first day of spring, but just think forward or backwards by 6 months and play the game along with everyone else.) Maybe the simple cycle of the seasons (and of human life) seems like a rather mundane topic for a comic book cover, but artists and readers alike need an occasional respite from the endless progression of heroes and villains punching one another silly and of Jimmy Olsen's transforming into yet another abomination against nature, so let's just take it easy for a week and enjoy the arrival of autumn. Students are back in school, the baseball season is wrapping up and the football season is kicking off (so to speak), the leaves have turned brown and are starting to fall, people are going outside less frequently in shorts and T-shirts and more frequently in long sleeves and maybe even a light jacket, people are putting away the barbecue grills and planning instead to roast marshmallows and sip hot cider, etc., so you have plenty of themes to choose from! Oh, and since for the next 6 months the nights will be longer than the days, the gloomy skies and the lengthening shadows perhaps begin to make things seem spooky, so there's that, too.

The usual RULES apply, of course:
    1) Post One (& ONLY ONE) Cover that fits the theme of this Week's Contest!
    2) Cover must be from a Published Comic Book, Collected Volume, or Graphic Novel!
    3) Covers must be Posted before Voting Begins!
    4) Voting Begins 12 AM Tuesday and Runs Until 12 AM Wednesday PDT (3 AM EDT)!
    5) Vote by Posting the name in BOLD of the Poster whose cover best fits the theme or that you simply like the most! A vote need not be in bold, but it does make it easier to Count-The-Votes!
    6) The Winner of the Contest is the Entry with the MOST Votes after the Voting-Period!
    7) It's Okay to Discuss the Covers but if you Think Someone's Entry Doesn't Fit the Theme or Violates the Rules, you Don't need to Argue it in the thread, Simply Don't Vote for It!
    8) Plus: Occasionally Voting will Result in a Tie! The Person Who Started the Thread will do the Counting that Week will Usually call for a TIE-Breaking --Vote from Someone who has Not Yet Voted!
    9) AFTER the Tie-Breaker Vote, Voting Ends and the Winner is Declared by The One Who Started the Thread (or assigned surrogate) and Thus will do the Counting.
    10) HAVE FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I'm not going to be at all innovative in picking a topic this week. Today is the first day of autumn, so let's just go with that. (Yes, I realize that for you folks south of the equator today is instead the first day of spring, but just think forward or backwards by 6 months and play the game along with everyone else.)
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Wonder Woman #141

My favorite fall holiday

18-1.jpg
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I'm going for right on the nose...

the Fall one-shot by Ed Brubaker and Jason Lutes.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Here's something both pleasant and topical! Heck, Betty even chimed in with a corny pun!

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Autumn doesn’t mean much to me: the decrease of the luminosity, the shortening of the days and the fall of the beautiful red and golden leaves… which you can only see in a comic in color.

“Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Well, to some, "Fall" = "Football", so . . .

Bernie Wrightson bringing some sinister Pumpkin Spice...

X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Here's something both pleasant and topical! Heck, Betty even chimed in with a corny pun!

Betty really rocks the David S. Pumpkins outfit!