Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Just Imagine: Decentralizing the DC universe

so I'm sure I'm not the only person that realize that majority of the major characters in DC are American or based in America; it was even (vaguely) a plot point in Dudsday Flop aka Doomsday Clock. so, my challenge to you? reimagine DC's american characters as being from or based out of anywhere other than the United States. where would they be from? how would they be possibly different aestethically? how would you recontextualize their powers?
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-22-2021 at 10:40 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Green Lanterns annoy me so much in this sense. Make Kyle from Mexico, Jessica from somewhere in South America as well, Simon Baz from Middle East, Jo Mullein from Europe etc. etc. It doesn't make any sense to make them ALL from the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    Green Lanterns annoy me so much in this sense. Make Kyle from Mexico, Jessica from somewhere in South America as well, Simon Baz from Middle East, Jo Mullein from Europe etc. etc. It doesn't make any sense to make them ALL from the US.
    Agreed. It boggled my mind that Johns created two new GLs only to make them Americans too. Nobody born in other countries has enough willpower to join the Green Lantern Corps lol.

Incredible Member

I have always thought that Batman should be closer to Argentina because of the amount of caves that they got there so I would put Gotham and Batman in a fictional country somewhere off the coast of Argentina and New Zealand and closer to the South Pole.

I would put Superman and Metropolis in the a country closer to the North pole.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

In my place, the highest value is placed on humility. Proud, rich people tend to be the antagonist. So I guess Lex Luthor would work just fine as he is.

The hero... Clark Kent... the Kents... would be a family who works on rice fields instead of corn field. They'll also be WAY poorer, living in a hut.

The rocket ship... aliens are not a big thing here... I mean it can be just as it is, but in general, people's interest is more on the mystical side than the science side. So in story I can see a set up where some people will think Superman's a new god and actually worships him, while others say he's a false god.

I always felt like Raven could easily be from South Asia. Of course her dark clothes would probably make her stand out, but I think that fits the character. Hawkman and Hawkman reincarnating in northern Africa also makes a lot of sense to me. Of course Batman's aesthetic also makes a lot of sense in Japan.

Feels like this could easily fall into stereotypes depending on how each individual views other countries. I would rather the focus be on characters who are already not from the US like Kimiyo Hoshi, Dr Mist, Tatsu Yamashiro and Daniel Tsang.

I agree that not all GL's need to come from America. Simon, Jessica and Kyle could have easily come from......well literally anywhere else.

Incredible Member

Superman India
    It would be interesting seeing him growing up around poverty, along with a mixture of ethnic diversity and conflict.

Supergirl Afghanistan
    I would love to see Supergirl take down the Taliban. That would be an interesting development. Let them try to
    stone women and deny schools to girls under her watch.

Batman England
    I mean the original setup was supposed to be Sherlock Holmes. London makes a lot of sense.

Nightwing Ireland
    There are a lot of Grayson's in Ireland. I think around Limerick.

Barbara Gordon Batgirl Scotland
    The Gordon name has distinct Scottish roots.

Barry Allen Flash China
    What would be better than to exchange middle America for the middle kingdom

Hal Jordan Green Lantern Argentina
    I would think that the cosmopolitan fit of Buenos Aires would be a good fit

Power Girl Australia
    I would think she would enjoy the culture, plus a vibrant high tech sector

Wonder Woman Brazil
    Why can't an Amazon be sent to a country with the Amazon River

Helena Wayne Huntress Greece
    The seeking vengeance for the death of your parents is a common motif in Greece.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    Nightwing Ireland
    This reminds me of the time he went undercover in Ireland. Learned the language and accent, hangs out in a pub, and got really popular with all the men there simply by talking Dr. Who and local stuffs, downing glasses of apple juice while waiting for his target to come.

Guy Gardner - Toronto

Cassie Sandsmark - Oxford, England

Beast Boy - South African

Amanda Waller - Haiti

Simon Baz - England

Zatara and Zatanna - Italy

Kent Nelson - Swedish

Ted Knight - Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    Not all of them. Teen Lantern is from Bolivia.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

It takes some real imagination, because honestly... Dc can't even seem to decentralize from The Batman. Its harsh.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Wonder Woman Brazil
    I mean, just read the new Wonder Girl series. It's beaitiful and fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    This reminds me of the time he went undercover in Ireland. Learned the language and accent, hangs out in a pub, and got really popular with all the men there simply by talking Dr. Who and local stuffs, downing glasses of apple juice while waiting for his target to come.
    What issue was this?

Superman India
    It would be interesting seeing him growing up around poverty, along with a mixture of ethnic diversity and conflict.

Supergirl Afghanistan
    I would love to see Supergirl take down the Taliban. That would be an interesting development. Let them try to
    stone women and deny schools to girls under her watch.

Batman England
    I mean the original setup was supposed to be Sherlock Holmes. London makes a lot of sense.

Nightwing Ireland

Barbara Gordon Batgirl Scotland
    The Gordon name has distinct Scottish roots.

Barry Allen Flash China
    What would be better than to exchange middle America for the middle kingdom

Hal Jordan Green Lantern Argentina
    I would think that the cosmopolitan fit of Buenos Aires would be a good fit

Power Girl Australia
    I would think she would enjoy the culture, plus a vibrant high tech sector

Wonder Woman Brazil

Helena Wayne Huntress Greece
    The seeking vengeance for the death of your parents is a common motif in Greece.
    Wonder Woman is already not American and (particularly in recent years) other than teams ups she's usually pretty international or off on a magic journey in some realm or another.

the rest of these are pretty fascinating. Bruce being from England makes a lot of sense and Superman from India would be extremely interesting to read.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."