Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Default What do you think should be done with Wallace West?

So yeah...With Wally restored back into his role, Irey and Bart back to universe, Barry away from his family...It seems that Wallace is in a place of limbo. Bart as Kid Flash and Irey as Impulse can not be happening due to his existence and it seems nobody is interested in him working alongside other Flashes.

What do you think should be done to give him a direction?

1- Retire him: Seems too little too late for it.
    2- Give him a new mantle: Sounds very in character for what would the character do with himself as the next step. It doesn't really look like DC is interested in a Barry/Wallace partnership and Wally already has his own daughter for that spot. Picking a new name for himself liberates him.

so what are your ideas?

He still apears in Titans Academy as a senior student with Red Arrow, Bunker, etc. So he is far from limbo.

I'm not the biggest fan of the TT:Academy concept, but that's really the only place he really fits nowadays.
    I do think he'll need a new name if Irey adopts the Kid Flash persona. I'd be fine with her being away from superheroics for a few more years before that, thought.

Retire him. He's a failed concept from one of DC's worst ideas from the New 52. Where they tried to replace the real Wally West with him because they felt he better synergized with the TV show at the time. Now we have two characters both called Wally West (I get they try and call one Wally and one Wallace but that isn't really enough) who are both Iris' nephews basically. Here is where that is still a big problem. Not only is it stupid to give two characters the same name in fiction that interact with each other, but when they want to adapt Wally West to live action or other media more in the future which one are they going to use? It seems obvious that they want Wally West and the West family in general to probably be black going forward in live action. Both current live action Iris West actors are black. So when they are looking to cast Wally will they race swap the original one with a black actor or will they just use the now existing black Wally West that is the current Kid Flash and is also the nephew to Iris and Barry? It is really fucking confusing when you actually look at it like this. There is far to much overlap between the two characters where both cannibalize each other when you actually look at how to adapt them in other media.

If they wanted a young black Kid Flash then they should have changed his name more to make him more independent. I feel like that is what they should have immediately done after it was obvious the new Wally wasn't going to work. Then he could have had the Kid Flash identity and his own name be his alone. It is like if Snyder while he was writing Batman decided to instead of creating Duke Thomas he decided to create a new character that was a black teen hero and going to be the new Robin and decided to call Timothy Drake. Then they were just going to call the original Tim just Tim and the new one Timothy to differentiate them. That is basically the situation we have now with the two Wallys. It's insane to me.

Extraordinary Member

I have never been one for thinking any characters needs to have something done, letting a character left alone for however long it happens to be is just fine.

That said, I think Wallace needs a new hero persona. Something else I have never been too big a fan of is keeping everything in 'families'. He started out in the Flash, but let some other book try something out with him without the baggage or competition of the other Flashes.

Haha I was just posting about this in the Wally thread because I didn't realize that this was already a thing. My bad.

I'll reiterate here though that I think Wallace wasn't as his best when paired with Barry and IMO the Kid Flash mantle should be used with the young speedster who works best as the Flash's sidekick in the same way that I want to see the Robin mantle be paired with Batman.

I also think that almost every alternative costume we've seen of Wallace's from his Future's End costume to his JL Dark Apocalypse one looks better on him than the classic yellow and red one so I see no reason to keep him wearing that one.

IMO they should give him a new name and costume and give Irey West the Kid Flash name so that we can see the original Kid Flash train his kid as the next generation Kid Flash.

What I would do is kill off Barry, have Wally as the main Flash and push all the other "Flash" type characters to different Earth's and have them interact every so often.

Incredible Member

Wallace does have a niche. He works on Speed Force cars and vehicles. This was shown in Death metal. I would have the Speed Force create a super highway across the Universe and have Wallace create various Speed Force Spacecrafts. and then all his adventures would be related to outerspace.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Retire him. He's a failed concept from one of DC's worst ideas from the New 52. Where they tried to replace the real Wally West with him because they felt he better synergized with the TV show at the time. Now we have two characters both called Wally West (I get they try and call one Wally and one Wallace but that isn't really enough) who are both Iris' nephews basically. Here is where that is still a big problem. Not only is it stupid to give two characters the same name in fiction that interact with each other, but when they want to adapt Wally West to live action or other media more in the future which one are they going to use? It seems obvious that they want Wally West and the West family in general to probably be black going forward in live action. Both current live action Iris West actors are black. So when they are looking to cast Wally will they race swap the original one with a black actor or will they just use the now existing black Wally West that is the current Kid Flash and is also the nephew to Iris and Barry? It is really fucking confusing when you actually look at it like this. There is far to much overlap between the two characters where both cannibalize each other when you actually look at how to adapt them in other media.

If they wanted a young black Kid Flash then they should have changed his name more to make him more independent. I feel like that is what they should have immediately done after it was obvious the new Wally wasn't going to work. Then he could have had the Kid Flash identity and his own name be his alone. It is like if Snyder while he was writing Batman decided to instead of creating Duke Thomas he decided to create a new character that was a black teen hero and going to be the new Robin and decided to call Timothy Drake. Then they were just going to call the original Tim just Tim and the new one Timothy to differentiate them. That is basically the situation we have now with the two Wallys. It's insane to me.
    I like Alinta
    I wish they were creative enough to make her instead, also I just found Wallace to be a drag in both teen titans run

I don't know much about the character since I pretty much dropped Flash after Rebirth.

I don't think retiring him or putting him into limbo is the best idea either. Figure out what makes him different from the other Flash character, focus on his relationship with members of the Flash Family and the Teen Titans Academy and build from there. Also, I like the pic of him in the silver so maybe give him that. Maybe he would make a good pairing with Bart Allen or Gold Beetle.

Plus, I felt each Flash could have their own niche like Barry has his universe/time hopping skills, Wally can absorb speed from other moving objects, maybe Wallace gets his own niche in order to make him stand out from the crowd.

I am not very fond of Wallace tbf, but I believe he is at his best whenever he is super-heroin' alongside Avery
    Hopefully they get to co-star a book together in the future !

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Rebrand him, have his powers evolve into something new and semi unique.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

He's a tough character to crack.
    He was created with the intent of being 'THE' Wally West. In line with the TV show, and old ginger Wally gone forever.
    When it became apparent that readers weren't OK with them jettisoning a 70 year old character, instead of admitting the mistake and rejigging the new Wally, they chose to double down instead - shoehorning him into the Flash history and calling him 'Wallace' like it made any sort of difference.

I'm torn. As a tragic ginger Wally fan I was furious with the change and found the writers didn't do the character any favours either.
    That said, he's now a part of the DCU so let's find a place for him.
    I see two ways it can go.
    Either rename the character (again) and keep him a part of the Flash family
    OR
    Leave him as Wallace. Keep him as a speedster, but move the character to another part of the DCU. (Which looks like the path DC are going down now.)
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Let him be what he is now: cameoing in the DCU, on the Titans, around for whenever DC wants to do some synergy with outside media. He’s not going anywhere, so give him to one of the black writers to develop, Priest really made him enjoyable to read for me anyway.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I found him way more enjoyable outside the Flash books and he grew on me over time. I really like the character now. But yes, his position in the Flash family is up in the air with Wally's kids returning and Bart now around.

I wouldn't retire him. I love his interactions with the other young heroes.