Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 201
  1. #16
    duke's casettetape lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn's WiFi
    Posts
    4,896

    Default

    changing his name again and/or retiring him are lazy approaches to take. I most definitely don't even wanna hear nothing bout "retire him" unless i see characters like Tim Drake (who shoulda been retired many times over) are scrubbed the face of the DC hero landscape as well. I say give him a speedster ability that's unique to him (have him be a flying speedster or have him be able to embueing vehicles with speedforce like a speedster ghost rider or something) then graduate him up to a new hero identity. or simply, give him a book to be prominently featured in and write him better. they missed a HUGE opportunity after Priest by not having him lead the Teen Titans and they missed another by not making him the sidekick to Wally when he first returned. If Priest wasn't so weird about writing Black characters I would say give him to him but it is what it is.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-23-2021 at 08:19 AM.
    SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist! his fandom wikia
    I support militant Professor X
    • Manga: One Piece, My Hero, Mashle, Solo Leveling, Jujutsu Kaisen, GoH, Black Clover
    • DC: Black Manta, Static, Icon & Rocket, Hardware, Gotham: Urban Legends, Mr Miracle: Source of Freedom
    • Marvel: Immortal Hulk, X-books
    • Anticipated titles: Naomi s2, I Am Batman, Aquaman: Becoming
    "power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

  2. #17
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    73,355

    Default

    Just let him be Kid Flash.

  3. #18
    Astonishing Member Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,764

    Default

    I like the idea of him being able to boost vehicles with the Speed Force. He could be called Ignition or something. And wear a silver costume with red lightning like in Future's End.

  4. #19
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta
    Posts
    4,466

    Default

    Well, I'm really, really opposed to getting him a new mantle. And I get it: he was supposed to be Wally, his origin was filled with racist stereotypes, Og Wally was in the crapper, etc, etc. There was no bigger critic to all of that than myself, and I know we all would very much like to leave this all behind us.

    BUT:

    This whole "what should Wallace new name/new powers/new uniform" be is just something that the dickiest Barry fans (or just Waly haters) would do here, once a month or so to get on our nerves. And honestly, right now I'm pretty much done with it. I have no interest in fanboy wars.

    So, to me, it goes like this: Wallace has his fans, his a West, he has superspeed. I think his being Kid Flash is just fine. His costume could have some further adjustments, but not that stray too far from KF, just stuff that highlights his personality a little better.

    As for character, what I would do is really simple: have Jay and Joan Garrick adopt him. Now, Jay never had either kids or a protegeť, and the dynamics between him and Wallace were really sound in Speed Metal. Wallace, OTOH, has no father and we know almost nothing about his mom. We barely know where he lives nowadays (is he still with Iris?). Having Jay adopt him would put him, as Jay, at the center of the Flash families of characters that are more connected to both Wally and Barry. It could give him a different outlook than just "I'm next in line", it could take the Garrick name to all those future Flashes we see once in a while in all those time travel storylines and i would make him still connected, but no more subordinate, to boith Barry and Wally.

    Wallace Garrick, Kid Flash. That's what I'd do.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

    To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

  5. #20
    Astonishing Member 9th.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    3,440

    Default

    As someone who loved John's TT, Bart has NO business being Kid Flash. His entire generation should've been aged up. It's unfair to put the burden of Irey and Bart on Wallace, it's not his problem more of a DC problem. The best thing to do for Wallace right now is give him stories and keep using him. Further develop his powers and give him a gimmick he can expand. ( He might already have one I haven't read TT and Flash in a while.)
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nontheless):
    DC: Green Lantern, Wonder Girl, Far Sector, The Other History of the DC Universe, The Next Batamn, Robin, Nightwing
    Marvel: HiXmen, Miles Morales: Spider-Man, Immortal Hulk, Daredevil
    Image: Killadelphia, Bitter Root, Excellence, Decorum
    IDW: TMNT: The Last Ronin
    Other: Seven Secrets, Jember, Hawi, Watchman, Black Hammer

  6. #21
    Incredible Member Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    retirement is a lazy approach to take. I most definitely don't even wanna hear nothing bout "retire him" unless i see characters like Tim Drake (who shoulda been retired many times over) are scrubbed the face of the DC hero landscape as well. I say give him a speedster ability that's unique to him (have him be a flying speedster or have him be able to embueing vehicles with speedforce like a speedster ghost rider or something) then graduate him up to a new hero identity. or simply, give him a book to be prominently featured in and write him better. they missed a HUGE opportunity after Priest by not having him lead the Teen Titans and they missed another by not making him the sidekick to Wally when he first returned. If Priest wasn't so weird about writing Black characters I would say give him to him but it is what it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I like the idea of him being able to boost vehicles with the Speed Force. He could be called Ignition or something. And wear a silver costume with red lightning like in Future's End.
    I had the same idea as well with Wallace transferring his power into objects and vehicles since I remember that Wally was able to steal speed/Kinetic energy from people and objects.

    I don't mind Wallace being Kid Flash I enjoyed him in Williamson's Flash books and the Teen Titan books I would also liked to see him be the leader of the Teen Titans because IIRC their wasn't a speedster who was the leader of the Titans and he could be the first and he has the best potential out of the TT roster (maybe Red Arrow or Bunker). Bart is Impulse and part of Young Justice while Irey is part of Wally's cast and could go by a different mantle until Wallace is old enough to have his Nightwing stage by creating a new mantle

  7. #22
    Astonishing Member Drako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    BR
    Posts
    2,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I like the idea of him being able to boost vehicles with the Speed Force. He could be called Ignition or something. And wear a silver costume with red lightning like in Future's End.
    Make him kinda like a the new Hot Pursuit then?

  8. #23
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Retire him. He's a failed concept from one of DC's worst ideas from the New 52. Where they tried to replace the real Wally West with him because they felt he better synergized with the TV show at the time. Now we have two characters both called Wally West (I get they try and call one Wally and one Wallace but that isn't really enough) who are both Iris' nephews basically. Here is where that is still a big problem. Not only is it stupid to give two characters the same name in fiction that interact with each other, but when they want to adapt Wally West to live action or other media more in the future which one are they going to use? It seems obvious that they want Wally West and the West family in general to probably be black going forward in live action. Both current live action Iris West actors are black. So when they are looking to cast Wally will they race swap the original one with a black actor or will they just use the now existing black Wally West that is the current Kid Flash and is also the nephew to Iris and Barry? It is really fucking confusing when you actually look at it like this. There is far to much overlap between the two characters where both cannibalize each other when you actually look at how to adapt them in other media.

    If they wanted a young black Kid Flash then they should have changed his name more to make him more independent. I feel like that is what they should have immediately done after it was obvious the new Wally wasn't going to work. Then he could have had the Kid Flash identity and his own name be his alone. It is like if Snyder while he was writing Batman decided to instead of creating Duke Thomas he decided to create a new character that was a black teen hero and going to be the new Robin and decided to call Timothy Drake. Then they were just going to call the original Tim just Tim and the new one Timothy to differentiate them. That is basically the situation we have now with the two Wallys. It's insane to me.
    Yeah, I don't want to hate on the character but this is all accurate. He's redundant. I think it's also convoluted that his origin is tied to some crappy Reverse-Flash knock-off. I don't think he needs to be killed or anything, but maybe give him a very specific niche as was suspected.

    The fact that the New 52 has all but killed any chance of seeing a live action OG red-haired Wally is so infuriating.

  9. #24
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,243

    Default

    This reminds me - I'm very happy that the Flash family is back in full force, but I think many of their roles and powers are going to have to be made more unique. 10 people with superspeed just feels like overkill, especially if they're all concentrated in the twin cities.

  10. #25
    Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    830

    Default

    DC really made this thing weird. And they really couldn't Nick Fury Jr their way through it lol

  11. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Well, I'm really, really opposed to getting him a new mantle. And I get it: he was supposed to be Wally, his origin was filled with racist stereotypes, Og Wally was in the crapper, etc, etc. There was no bigger critic to all of that than myself, and I know we all would very much like to leave this all behind us.

    BUT:

    This whole "what should Wallace new name/new powers/new uniform" be is just something that the dickiest Barry fans (or just Waly haters) would do here, once a month or so to get on our nerves. And honestly, right now I'm pretty much done with it. I have no interest in fanboy wars.

    These are not the same things though. Being The Flash is intrinsic to Wally's character. His entire time as the Flash is about him accepting that he deserves to be The Flash and earning that mantle. They spent 25 years, 247 issues, and some of the best and most definitive runs of The Flash in its entire history doing that. Calling him anything else would be impossible without it feeling like a huge demotion and a slap in the face to decades of Flash comics and a huge appeal of Wally is that development in the first place. Wally NEEDS to be The Flash or his decades-long character arc is thrown in the trash.

    That isn't the case with Wallace. I haven't heard anything here yet to convince me that Wallace NEEDS to be Kid Flash. I'd actually argue that it is the strongest thread still tying him to his dubious origins and preventing him from moving on and becoming his own character. How is it actually best serving his character and the Flash franchise overall to keep him in the Kid Flash role?


    Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    As someone who loved John's TT, Bart has NO business being Kid Flash. His entire generation should've been aged up. It's unfair to put the burden of Irey and Bart on Wallace, it's not his problem more of a DC problem. The best thing to do for Wallace right now is give him stories and keep using him. Further develop his powers and give him a gimmick he can expand. ( He might already have one I haven't read TT and Flash in a while.)
    I see Wallace more as Bart in this situation. He's serviceable as Kid Flash but I don't think it's where he could be best unutilized and I think he's taking up a role better suited for Irey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    This reminds me - I'm very happy that the Flash family is back in full force, but I think many of their roles and powers are going to have to be made more unique. 10 people with superspeed just feels like overkill, especially if they're all concentrated in the twin cities.
    Yeah, this is definitely something that needs to be dealt with. It's almost a shame the other forces didn't work out better as maybe giving some of them a secondary force might have been the way to go.

  12. #27
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    73,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Sneezing_Stormtrooper View Post
    That isn't the case with Wallace. I haven't heard anything here yet to convince me that Wallace NEEDS to be Kid Flash. I'd actually argue that it is the strongest thread still tying him to his dubious origins and preventing him from moving on and becoming his own character. How is it actually best serving his character and the Flash franchise overall to keep him in the Kid Flash role?
    He's a young and up-and-coming Speedster who was mentored by The Flash and was fulfilling the spirit (at least in some regards) of Wally West as Kid Flash.

    So I think it's fine for him to still be Kid Flash.
    Yeah, this is definitely something that needs to be dealt with. It's almost a shame the other forces didn't work out better as maybe giving some of them a secondary force might have been the way to go.
    Or the TV show made them even less popular.

  13. #28
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    197

    Default

    give him a mini series that deals with his mystery mother. not every character has to be an orphan ffs and thats more the case in the flash family.

  14. #29
    duke's casettetape lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn's WiFi
    Posts
    4,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Sneezing_Stormtrooper View Post
    These are not the same things though. Being The Flash is intrinsic to Wally's character. His entire time as the Flash is about him accepting that he deserves to be The Flash and earning that mantle. They spent 25 years, 247 issues, and some of the best and most definitive runs of The Flash in its entire history doing that. Calling him anything else would be impossible without it feeling like a huge demotion and a slap in the face to decades of Flash comics and a huge appeal of Wally is that development in the first place. Wally NEEDS to be The Flash or his decades-long character arc is thrown in the trash.

    That isn't the case with Wallace. I haven't heard anything here yet to convince me that Wallace NEEDS to be Kid Flash. I'd actually argue that it is the strongest thread still tying him to his dubious origins and preventing him from moving on and becoming his own character. How is it actually best serving his character and the Flash franchise overall to keep him in the Kid Flash role?




    I see Wallace more as Bart in this situation. He's serviceable as Kid Flash but I don't think it's where he could be best unutilized and I think he's taking up a role better suited for Irey.



    Yeah, this is definitely something that needs to be dealt with. It's almost a shame the other forces didn't work out better as maybe giving some of them a secondary force might have been the way to go.
    Irey doesn't deserve the Kid Flash title any more than Wallace does so I'm not sure why she needs to bump him out of the role; especially since it's not like she held it before anyway. I'm all for Wallace graduating out of the Kid Flash role when he's ready but to cap like Irey deserves it more than him essentially because she's Wally's daughter is weak; because that's the only possible reason Irey has a better claim to the mantle.
    SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist! his fandom wikia
    I support militant Professor X
    • Manga: One Piece, My Hero, Mashle, Solo Leveling, Jujutsu Kaisen, GoH, Black Clover
    • DC: Black Manta, Static, Icon & Rocket, Hardware, Gotham: Urban Legends, Mr Miracle: Source of Freedom
    • Marvel: Immortal Hulk, X-books
    • Anticipated titles: Naomi s2, I Am Batman, Aquaman: Becoming
    "power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

  15. #30
    duke's casettetape lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn's WiFi
    Posts
    4,896

    Default

    Wallace should lead a team of all the young speedsters. Jai already has a unique identity as the Turtle, Irey and Avery can develop new names, and they just all work together as a young Flash unit. they can use the team to re-establish individual speedster applications and/or abilities via the other forces by having them develop their own signature abilities over time.

    Wallace as Kid Flash - He's the leader, so his name has more meaning as the lead Flash of the the Kid speedsters. Speedster that specializes in speedforce embuing and engineering.

    Jai as Turtle - Stillforce speedster (via time manipulation).

    Irey as Inertia - she was impulse but with Bart back just give her the name of his long forgotten rival. she'll be a Speester specializing in phasing and vibration.

    Avery as G-force - Speedforce/Strengthforce hybrid, able to manipulate gravity to fly at Flash speeds.

    Have Wally be the Professor X to their X Men or the Batman to their Outsiders; he mentors and watches over them, joining them on missions from time to time.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-23-2021 at 01:42 PM.
    SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist! his fandom wikia
    I support militant Professor X
    • Manga: One Piece, My Hero, Mashle, Solo Leveling, Jujutsu Kaisen, GoH, Black Clover
    • DC: Black Manta, Static, Icon & Rocket, Hardware, Gotham: Urban Legends, Mr Miracle: Source of Freedom
    • Marvel: Immortal Hulk, X-books
    • Anticipated titles: Naomi s2, I Am Batman, Aquaman: Becoming
    "power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •