Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Irey doesn't deserve the Kid Flash title any more than Wallace does so I'm not sure why she needs to bump him out of the role; especially since it's not like she held it before anyway. I'm all for Wallace graduating out of the Kid Flash role when he's ready but to cap like Irey deserves it more than him essentially because she's Wally's daughter is weak; because that's the only possible reason Irey has a better claim to the mantle.
    There are plenty of reasons that it would be better to have Irey as Kid Flash and Wallace changed to another identity.

First off, Wallace is only Kid Flash because he was meant as a reboot of the original Wally West at a time when the original was never expected to lead the book again. His origins have always rightfully been a point of contention with Wallace and keeping him as Kid Flash only keeps him tied to that. He should be made his own character with his own identity based on that alone.

Also, now we have Wally back as The Flash for the foreseeable future and we're going to have a Wallace West simultaneously running around? Both of them are nephews of Barry Allen and the one who is now Flash was also the original Kid Flash? With them also sharing the same civilian name that becomes confusing, convoluted, and beyond ridiculous. DC sort of got away with it during the Rebirth era because they were also sabotaging Wally as much as they could but it's time to finally be dealt with. Wallace has Kid Flash doesn't fit with the current direction of Flash with Wally back in the leading role.

And yes, future versions have shown Irey depicted as Kid Flash going back as far as Chain Lightning and as recently as Doomsday Clock so there is precedence in making her Kid Flash. She also comes without all the convoluted baggage of making two Wally Wests as Flash and Kid Flash carries and having Flash training his daughter as Kid Flash would fit perfectly with the current dynamic and direction of the book. Yeah, I totally think there are more stories to be told with that in the main Flash book right now.

Keeping a character who was only made Kid Flash for synergy with a TV show that barely even uses him anyway and as a means for editorial to replace Wally because it's the leftover status quo from that era is weak. Honestly, I think giving him his own name and letting him do his own thing on the Titans is a pretty fair compromise.
    Last edited by The_Sneezing_Stormtrooper; 09-23-2021 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sneezing_Stormtrooper View Post
    There are plenty of reasons that it would be better to have Irey as Kid Flash and Wallace changed to another identity.

First off, Wallace is only Kid Flash because he was meant as a reboot of the original Wally West at a time when the original was never expected to lead the book again. His origins have always rightfully been a point of contention with Wallace and keeping him as Kid Flash only keeps him tied to that. He should be made his own character with his own identity based on that alone.

Also, now we have Wally back as The Flash for the foreseeable future and we're going to have a Wallace West simultaneously running around? Both of them are nephews of Barry Allen and the one who is now Flash was also the original Kid Flash? With them also sharing the same civilian name that becomes confusing, convoluted, and beyond ridiculous. DC sort of got away with it during the Rebirth era because they were also sabotaging Wally as much as they could but it's time to finally be dealt with. Wallace has Kid Flash doesn't fit with the current direction of Flash with Wally back in the leading role.

And yes, future versions have shown Irey depicted as Kid Flash going back as far as Chain Lightning and as recently as Doomsday Clock so there is precedence in making her Kid Flash. She also comes without all the convoluted baggage of making two Wally Wests as Flash and Kid Flash carries and having Flash training his daughter as Kid Flash would fit perfectly with the current dynamic and direction of the book. Yeah, I totally think there are more stories to be told with that in the main Flash book right now.

Keeping a character who was only made Kid Flash for synergy with a TV show that barely even uses him anyway and as a means for editorial to replace Wally because it's the leftover status quo from that era is weak. Honestly, I think giving him his own name and letting him do his own thing on the Titans is a pretty fair compromise.
    I don't think he's only Kid Flash now just because he was originally intended as a wholesale reboot, part of it was wanting to do a new, modern, Kid Flash and make the most of his existence after bringing OG!Wally back. At least that's how Williamson handled it.

Wallace's problem is he's more tied to Barry of anyone in the Flash Mythos.

You could give him his own series as Kid Lantern.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post

So, to me, it goes like this: Wallace has his fans, his a West, he has superspeed. I think his being Kid Flash is just fine. His costume could have some further adjustments, but not that stray too far from KF, just stuff that highlights his personality a little better.

As for character, what I would do is really simple: have Jay and Joan Garrick adopt him. Now, Jay never had either kids or a protegeé, and the dynamics between him and Wallace were really sound in Speed Metal. Wallace, OTOH, has no father and we know almost nothing about his mom. We barely know where he lives nowadays (is he still with Iris?). Having Jay adopt him would put him, as Jay, at the center of the Flash families of characters that are more connected to both Wally and Barry. It could give him a different outlook than just "I'm next in line", it could take the Garrick name to all those future Flashes we see once in a while in all those time travel storylines and i would make him still connected, but no more subordinate, to boith Barry and Wally.

Wallace Garrick, Kid Flash. That's what I'd do.
    This is definitely an idea I could get behind!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

All this thread is telling me is that the Flash franchise needs another book, at least crowed families like Batman and Green Lantern have more than one book for their characters to breathe.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Well, I'm really, really opposed to getting him a new mantle. And I get it: he was supposed to be Wally, his origin was filled with racist stereotypes, Og Wally was in the crapper, etc, etc. There was no bigger critic to all of that than myself, and I know we all would very much like to leave this all behind us.

BUT:

This whole "what should Wallace new name/new powers/new uniform" be is just something that the dickiest Barry fans (or just Waly haters) would do here, once a month or so to get on our nerves. And honestly, right now I'm pretty much done with it. I have no interest in fanboy wars.

So, to me, it goes like this: Wallace has his fans, his a West, he has superspeed. I think his being Kid Flash is just fine. His costume could have some further adjustments, but not that stray too far from KF, just stuff that highlights his personality a little better.

As for character, what I would do is really simple: have Jay and Joan Garrick adopt him. Now, Jay never had either kids or a protegeé, and the dynamics between him and Wallace were really sound in Speed Metal. Wallace, OTOH, has no father and we know almost nothing about his mom. We barely know where he lives nowadays (is he still with Iris?). Having Jay adopt him would put him, as Jay, at the center of the Flash families of characters that are more connected to both Wally and Barry. It could give him a different outlook than just "I'm next in line", it could take the Garrick name to all those future Flashes we see once in a while in all those time travel storylines and i would make him still connected, but no more subordinate, to boith Barry and Wally.

Wallace Garrick, Kid Flash. That's what I'd do.
    "Wallace should get a new name/powers/uniform" is a dick move but renaming from Wallace West to Wallace Garrick is somehow different from some saying give him a new name/powers/uniform?

It's like with our thousands of Robins, we have plenty of different ones but they go on to get new mantles and are gifted in different areas.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    All this thread is telling me is that the Flash franchise needs another book, at least crowed families like Batman and Green Lantern have more than one book for their characters to breathe.
    I'm genuinely surprised we never got a spinoff of Williamson's run.

I remember people speculating we'd get a Wallace Kid Flash book at one point.

I like him but....

There is still a lot of animosity towards him from Wally West fans which is understandable, it's not everyday you wake up and find that your favourite character has been wiped from existence, and replaced by someone else with the same name.

For this reason, I can't see him playing much more than a bit part on a junior super team while Wally is headlining the title....though things will ease up with time (ie; Hal fans are now more accepting towards Kyle)

Still the current writer could bring him into the fold, you never know.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

The one thing I don't get (and never got) from Wallace is a distinct personality. I've complained about this before, and maybe not reading Teen Titans regularly prevents me from seeing it, but I don't see what traits he actually has. He's just a generic sidekick with default kid traits.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Question is if that is sustainable.

Outside of Batman and Superman, non of the other families seem able to keep multiple books going. Green Lantern has afaik also been down to a single book for quite sometime.

Maybe Barry and Wally could be both able to keep a book going, but I doubt that any of the younger Flash Characters could.

Btw. I also wondering Wallce might not be a good candidate to put into Red Hood and the Outlaws, if they should ever that as a team book again, since Wally's kids look like a better fit to put them on a team with Damian ...
    Last edited by Aahz; 09-24-2021 at 12:32 AM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    "Wallace should get a new name/powers/uniform" is a dick move but renaming from Wallace West to Wallace Garrick is somehow different from some saying give him a new name/powers/uniform?
    Yes, it's VERY different. One is about removing him from the proper family of characters, the other is about cement him in it with a role particular to himself. Honestly don't know how you reached that conclusion there.

And Flashes are not Robins.
    Last edited by BohemiaDrinker; 09-24-2021 at 04:32 AM.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sneezing_Stormtrooper View Post
    That isn't the case with Wallace. I haven't heard anything here yet to convince me that Wallace NEEDS to be Kid Flash. I'd actually argue that it is the strongest thread still tying him to his dubious origins and preventing him from moving on and becoming his own character. How is it actually best serving his character and the Flash franchise overall to keep him in the Kid Flash role?
    He doesn't need to be KF but as of right now is the character better positioned for it, for one. Also, the Flash family has a long story of accepting EVERYONE into their fold. Future Flashes, alternate Earth tragic Flashes, temp Flashes.. And then, we have an immediate member of the West family, with speed powers, who lost both his parents and happens to be black, and suddenly HE is the one who is not worthy of the Flash moniker/status/place in line of succession/whatever? The offices of this are terrible by themselves.

Bart has no business being KF anyway, and Iris is not there yet. I totally maintain that the path forward is bringing Wallace further into the family, not the other way around
    Last edited by BohemiaDrinker; 09-24-2021 at 04:34 AM.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

There is no reason there can't be more than one Kid Flash. There are currently two Spider-men, two Batmen, two Supermen, two Batgirls, (on and off) two Robins the list goes on.

Wallace has a great dynamic with Avery Ho (another Flash), so give them a mini and see how it goes.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    There is no reason there can't be more than one Kid Flash. There are currently two Spider-men, two Batmen, two Supermen, two Batgirls, (on and off) two Robins the list goes on.

Wallace has a great dynamic with Avery Ho (another Flash), so give them a mini and see how it goes.
    Or we can skip him and go forward with Alinta as the next flash after wally

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Yes, it's VERY different. One is about removing him from the proper family of characters, the other is about cement him in it with a role particular to himself. Honestly don't know how you reached that conclusion there.

And Flashes are not Robins.
    It is no different if someone suggests giving him a new costume or giving him a different type of speed power. It doesn't remove him from the Flash fam. When you start having multiple speedsters that take up the same mantle.... you're not much different from a Robin.