Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

I definitely think Wallace's mother, or at least her family, could provide a lot of rich narrative soil. Hell, even Daniel could be used to good effect. The guy was a dead end as a Flash villain but with a few tweaks he might still benefit Wallace. Even if he remains dead (and that might be for the best, really) I feel like there's *some* degree of potential in Daniel being used in Wallace's story.

I dunno about Wallace's mom being related to another prominent DC family. As a general rule I like to keep franchises independent of each other; it gets messy when there's too much interconnection and one franchise decides to retcon or reboot while the other doesn't (among other problems). And maybe I'm wrong here but wouldn't that invite a "we don't all know each other" kind of thing?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I definitely think Wallace's mother, or at least her family, could provide a lot of rich narrative soil. Hell, even Daniel could be used to good effect. The guy was a dead end as a Flash villain but with a few tweaks he might still benefit Wallace. Even if he remains dead (and that might be for the best, really) I feel like there's *some* degree of potential in Daniel being used in Wallace's story.

I dunno about Wallace's mom being related to another prominent DC family. As a general rule I like to keep franchises independent of each other; it gets messy when there's too much interconnection and one franchise decides to retcon or reboot while the other doesn't (among other problems). And maybe I'm wrong here but wouldn't that invite a "we don't all know each other" kind of thing?
    I'd actually be kind of curious to see Wallace deal with his dad as Reverse-Flash. Maybe even have Thawne take on a "pretender" if we weren't so overdone with Thawne stories and how that fits his manipulation of every evil Flash.

Have Wallace's mom date Eddie Thawne.

Does Eddie even exist in the comics? I thought he was created specifically for season 1 of the CW show.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    There is the question of how long some of these newer speedsters will last. Wallace has some traction thanks to the show and because there is a Kid Flash slot that needs to be filled.

Jesse Quick has the option of taking up her mom's legacy and not being another speedster. Johnny Quick is in the same 'retired hero' role as Jay Garrick and the former can easily be depowered.

Avery Ho, Meena Dhawan, Bolt and August can easily fade into obscurity. The gender fluid Jesse Chamber seems to have been forgotten after DC got their free PR from the announcement.

Btw, is Max dead or not?
    Max is alive, as I mentioned before Barry rescued him and Jesse from the Speed Force during Finish Line.

Johnny Quick, however, IS dead, and not trapped in the Speed Force, so apparently it's a permanent death.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    pretty sure his mother is dead, but I'd imagine she has family that may want to reach out. DC creating the omniverse is already resurrecting a bunch of characters. I'm not a fan of frivolous resurrection but I feel Wallace's mother should be brought back and given a fair shake; or at least (as I said earlier) bring in her family. Wallace is mixed, it would be interesting seeing him interact with the black side of his family too. hell, maybe his mother has family ties to another character in the DC universe. like what if his mother was a Hyde or a Pierce or a Stewart or an Everett.
    Then it'd be really weird that none of those superhero families noticed or cared about the deaths of her and her child's father (who became a serial killing supervillain).

But also you start getting into messy crossover hell if you start intertwining cross franchise families too much. Not that there's much room in the first place to give Wallace's family any shine because there's honestly not enough room to give Wallace any shine these days.
    Last edited by Dred; 10-06-2021 at 06:23 PM.

ok so, one of my mutuals on Twitter proposed this idea that i think would be cool. some of y'all not crazy about the white and black Defiance suit, and I'm not a fan at all of the grey/silver suit; so how would y'all feel about Wallace in a black suit with gold accents? personally I really dig the idea.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

ok so, one of my mutuals on Twitter proposed this idea that i think would be cool. some of y'all not crazy about the white and black Defiance suit, and I'm not a fan at all of the grey/silver suit; so how would y'all feel about Wallace in a black suit with gold accents? personally I really dig the idea.
    I really liked the Defiance suit. A black suit with gold accents would like great IMO. Would love to see a piece of art depicting this.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Astonishing Member

If he's going to stay Kid Flash I don't see why he needs a costume update. Not like anyone else is. Iris doesn't get her Kid Flash look until she's much older.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    If he's going to stay Kid Flash I don't see why he needs a costume update. Not like anyone else is. Iris doesn't get her Kid Flash look until she's much older.
    I was moreso thinking post-Kid Flash, but (thinking about it) I wouldn't mind him getting total redesign as Kid Flash either. the one thing that's better than legacy is legacy that is allowed to become something beyond what came before them, and legacy should mean more than just a new character filling in the role and aestethic of a previous one. it wouldn't hurt (and probably would help) Wallace to have his own idiosyncratic Kid Flash design; like Miles has his own take on the Spider-Man suit.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

If I could do a do-over of Wallace's origins, I would make him Wally West's half sibling.

Remember during the Mike Baron and Messener/Loebs run, it was revealed that Wally's father, Rudy West, was abusive, lies to him and he had Wally because of the Manhunters prophecy that his child would have great power? Then at one point he tried to kill Wally but also faked his death twice?

You could update it to say that Rudy West had latent meta genes and knew that any child of his were likely to develop powers. Maybe he started off as the well adjusted Pre Crisis version before his own greed and anger caused him to transition to his Post Crisis characterization.

Anyway, it's not too far fetched that at one point, he got frustrated with Mary and their arguments and Wally bonding more with Iris than him, that he went and had an affair with another woman. Even had a child with her and that child was named Wallace West. Then years later, he tries to pit Wally and Wallace against each other. Wally is of course pissed at his dad for his bullshit while Wallace is a kid who needs a father figure/mentor who is being manipulated by a dad who doesn't have his best interest at heart. It also provides meta commentary because Wallace was created to replace Wally even in universe. The story would culminate in Wallace turning against his father and both Wally's making amends with each other with both Wally and Barry mentoring Wallace with Wally giving Wallace his old Kid Flash suit.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I was moreso thinking post-Kid Flash, but (thinking about it) I wouldn't mind him getting total redesign as Kid Flash either. the one thing that's better than legacy is legacy that is allowed to become something beyond what came before them, and legacy should mean more than just a new character filling in the role and aestethic of a previous one. it wouldn't hurt (and probably would help) Wallace to have his own idiosyncratic Kid Flash design; like Miles has his own take on the Spider-Man suit.
    There are some nice Jonboy Meyers redesigns out there, from before they settled for a more classic approach.

However, though I see your point, I don't think he needs to stray too far from his current look. Maybe some personality infusions (like Bart's big ass boots at the time), but i don't think we need anything too radical here.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, way too many speedsters to try to give them all solo books... way WYA too many.... which is why I find myself wondering why they keep making more.
    Tell them to the Batfamily, which is like a crowded family in a nutshell.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Tell them to the Batfamily, which is like a crowded family in a nutshell.
    The difference is that the Batfamily can keep 5-10 the number of titles going.

Yeah the Batfamily is still pretty crowded, but with franchises like Flash, with only one book, the situation is worse.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    There are some nice Jonboy Meyers redesigns out there, from before they settled for a more classic approach.

However, though I see your point, I don't think he needs to stray too far from his current look. Maybe some personality infusions (like Bart's big ass boots at the time), but i don't think we need anything too radical here.
    I still wish they could have chosen one of the more unique takes over settling for the nostalgic Kid Flash look, honestly.

I particularly like the red and black looks that evoke his dad's original Reverse-Flash color-schemes (one of my favorite Flash character costumed looks).

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I still wish they could have chosen one of the more unique takes over settling for the nostalgic Kid Flash look, honestly.

I particularly like the red and black looks that evoke his dad's original Reverse-Flash color-schemes (one of my favorite Flash character costumed looks).
    I think symbolically it made sense for him to wear the classic Kid Flash duds since he was (at the time) reconstructing and re-instituting that role in the DCU.

Astonishing Member

You know, when you say stuff like this, it's crazy to me that you hate the first Wally West. The more I learn about your opinions on things the more it would seemingly fit.