10. Jason X
    11. A Nightmare on Elm Street
    12. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge
    13. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
    14. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
    15. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child
    16. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
    17. Wes Craven's A New Nightmare

Went through Friday The 13th and now A Nightmare on Elm Street. I think Freddy is a more interesting character than Jason as he gets to be a little be more active and vocal. Of the movies A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors it the one that I like best though I really do like A New Nightmare. Dream Warriors is a well put together sequel to the first one and created a base to build the story from there. A New Nightmare was different and felt grown up after watching Freddy's dead. And the one that I like the lest is a toss up between A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge and Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare. Freddy's Dead really has noting to do with the story line that all the others have set up (not counting 2). 2 I don't like for pretty much the same reason and it doesn't fit the Freddy that was established in the first one
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 10-12-2021 at 06:58 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Whitmore View Post
    I've never seen a weaker bunch of vampires.
    Have you seen Billy the Kid vs Dracula?

I mean, goddamn, one of the heroes even says "We have to deal with their human servant, then they'll be helpless." In the middle of the night, yet!
    It seemed Ike they were incredibly lazy. The middle-age looking Dr. Ravna physically beat yhe young hero easily enough, but when he's getting away they only send the mortal servant after him.

Also, I've seen some pretty flimsy excuses for crosses be effective against vampires, but your own blood smeared into a vaguely cross-shape on your chest has to be the most audacious.
    Last edited by Jared; 09-03-2022 at 01:18 PM.

I surprised myself how easy this was so far and I really didn't try to watch in order to do the list. It just came supernatural, lol.

1. Halloween I
    2. Halloween II
    3. Twilight
    4. Twilight Breaking Dawn
    5. House of Wax 1953
    6. The Fly 1958
    7. Return of the Fly 1959
    8. Dracula has Risen
    9. The Beast must die
    10. The Howling 1981
    11. Scary Movie 4
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I surprised myself how easy this was so far and I really didn't try to watch in order to do the list. It just came supernatural, lol.

1. Halloween I
    2. Halloween II
    3. Twilight
    4. Twilight Breaking Dawn
    5. House of Wax 1953
    6. The Fly 1958
    7. Return of the Fly 1959
    8. Dracula has Risen
    9. The Beast must die
    10. The Howling 1981
    11. Scary Movie 4
    What did you watch The Howling on? I've been looking for it on Streaming and can only find it on AMC+ on Amazon
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

AMC I believe
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Have you seen Billy the Kid vs Dracula?
    Where the bullets pass through him but the thrown gun bonks him on the head?

I'll give him a pass on that, even Superman fears the thrown gun.

1. Isle of the Dead (1945)
    2a. The Vampire Bat (1933)
    2b. The Body Snatcher (1945)
    3a. The Thing (1982)
    3b. The Old Dark House (1932)
    3c. Freaked (1993)
    4. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)
    5. Wishmaster (1997)
    6. Jason X (2001)
    7. Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021)
    8a. Dracula (Spanish version) (1931)
    8b. Count Dracula (1977)
    8c. Terror Train (1980)
    9. The Plague of the Zombies (1966)
    10a. Deadly Friend (1986)
    10b. Kiss of the Vampire (1963)
    10c. Braindead / Dead Alive (1992)

11. The Deadly Spawn (1983)

Another Youtube find that I've been meaning to get to for a while. This movie is light on plot, but damn, it just hurries up and GOES for it. Aliens crash on Earth attached to a meteor; they start out looking like slugs but then grow into red Audrey II-looking monsters with about 10 times more teeth. They seek refuge in the basement of the closest house, and waste absolutely no time eating the loved ones of the main protagonists. No 20 minutes of strange occurrences that everyone ignores at first, no scene where the monster-movie fanatic young hero sees the monster but nobody believes him, and not only the obvious characters get eaten.

Fantastic Member

36. Vampyres (1974) - The movie opens with two female lovers murdered and then somehow resurrected as vampires offscreen during the opening credits, they then lure travelers along a country road back to their estate where they have sex and kill them while drinking their blood, disposing of the bodies in staged automobile accidents. Loaded with the standard gothic horror imagery of creepy woods, perpetually overcast and dreary skies, abandoned graveyards, and dilapidated English manors, the film also features a load of nudity and a surprising amount of blood for the mid 70s.

37. Candyman (1992) - From Wikipedia: "Based on Clive Barker's short story "The Forbidden", the film follows a Chicago graduate student completing a thesis on urban legends and folklore, which leads her to the legend of the "Candyman", the ghost of an artist and the son of a slave who was murdered in the late 19th century for his relationship with the daughter of a wealthy white man." This is actually my first time watching the movie, I was just never particularly interested in it, similar to how I never really got into either the Friday The 13th or Nightmare On Elm Street movies beyond the first ones.

38. Sennentuntschi (2010) - A Swiss foreign language film based on the Alpine legend of the Sennentuntschi, a crude doll fashioned by lonely Alpine herdsmen (basically a sex doll) which is brought to life and exacts revenge on the men for their abuses by killing and, in some cases, skinning them. The story begins in the present day, then rewinds to 1975 with a priest being found hanged, an apparent suicide. After his funeral a mysterious young woman appears in town, disheveled, dirty and mute, and the superstitious townsfolk immediately accuse her of being a witch and the cause of the priest's death. The local police officer takes her in, intent on finding out her identity, meanwhile three herders up on the mountain go missing and the mayor's pregnant wife loses the baby to a miscarriage, which only serves to reinforce the idea the girl is the spawn of Satan in the minds of the town's residents. The film basically plays both sides of the is she/isn't she narrative right up until the tragic ending.
    Last edited by Astral Disaster; 11-01-2021 at 12:30 PM.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

1. Halloween (1978)
    2. Halloween II (1981)
    3. Poltergeist (1982)
    4. Ghost Ship
    5. The Crazies (2010)
    6. The Dead Zone (1983)
    7. Thinner (1996)
    8. Silver Bullet (1985)
    9. Christine (1983)
    10. The Shining (1980)
    11. Carrie (1976)

12. Scream (1996) - Wes Craven re-invented and revitalized the slasher-horror genre with this modern horror classic, which manages to be funny, clever and scary, as a fright-masked knife maniac stalks high-school students in middle-class suburbia. Craven is happy to provide both tension and self-parody as the body count mounts - but the victims aren't always the ones you'd expect.

13. Final Destination (2000) - Alex Browning (Devon Sawa), is embarking on a trip to Paris. Alex experiences a premonition -- he sees the plane explode moments after leaving the ground. Alex insists that everyone get off the plane and 7 people including Alex, are forced to disembark. All watch as the plane actually explodes in a fireball. He and the other survivors have briefly cheated death, but will not be able to evade their fate for very long. One by one, these fugitives from fate fall victim to the grim reaper.

Incredible Member

October 1st. 1- The Cat and the Canary (1927). 2- Vampyr (1932)
    October 2nd. 3- Young Frankenstein (1974)
    October 3rd. 4- The Return of the Vampire (1943)
    October 4th. 5- Viy (1967)
    October 5th. 6- Escape the Undertaker (2021) 7- Terror Train (1980)
    October 6th. 7- The Company of Wolves (1984)
    October 7th. 8- Gretel & Hansel (2020). 9- Babylon 5: Thirdspace (1998)
    October 8th. 10- My Best Friend is a Vampire (1987). 11- The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977)
    October 9th. 12- The War of the Worlds (1953). 13- 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957)
    October 10th. 14- Kiss of the Vampire (1963)
    October 11th. 15- Pale Blood (1990)

A series of vampire-style murders in LA draw the attention of a vampire who comes to the city and hires a woman from an investigation agency to assist him. It came out in 1990 and it looks and sounds very much like it as one decade blends into the next stylistically.

When it started I realized I had seen the beginning before, I thought I must have caught it on TV some time. But as it went on, I got a sinking feeling and eventually realized I had seen the entire thing. Last time I got bored and I just ended up doing something else while it was on the background. This time I forced myself to pay attention as much as a could, if only so I won't forget again. It's deadly dull. The lead guy makes for an OK vampire (though he kinda reminds me of Tommy Wissaeu) but in closeup he's too old to be meeting hot twenty-somethings at nightclubs. There's just barely enough story here that could have filled one episode of Angel or Forever Knight, and they would have a b-plot and/or flashbacks to make it work. In this movie, it's just a lot of nothing. There are long sequences of a band playing during montages...usually you know it's a bad movie if it's not a musical but they try to pad it with entire songs. I've seen a pic of box art calling it "an erotic thriller", I assure you that it is neither. The only thing that kinda works is Wings Hauser is somewhat entertaining as a nutty photographer. And I guess if you really like the band, Agent Orange.
    Last edited by Jared; 09-03-2022 at 01:21 PM.

My List:
    1) Maximum Overdrive (1986)
    2) No One Gets Out Alive (2021)
    3) Pet Sematary (1989)
    4) My Heart Can't Beat Unless You Tell It To (2020)
    5) Tales From the Darkside: The Movie (1990)
    6) It (1990)
    7) Graveyard Shift (1990)
    8) Misery (1990)

9) Stephen King's Sometimes They Come Back (1991). Meh. Not terrible, but nothing special either.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

My List:
    1) Maximum Overdrive (1986)
    2) No One Gets Out Alive (2021)
    3) Pet Sematary (1989)
    4) My Heart Can't Beat Unless You Tell It To (2020)
    5) Tales From the Darkside: The Movie (1990)
    6) It (1990)
    7) Graveyard Shift (1990)
    8) Misery (1990)
    9) Sometimes They Come Back (1991)

10) "Stephen King's" The Lawnmower Man (1992). Before anyone goes out of their way to correct me, yeah, I'm aware this story barely resembled King's short story and that he sued to have his name removed from the credits. This is why I put his name in quotes.

I'd say this didn't age well, but did it ever really look any good?
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Incredible Member

October 1st. 1- The Cat and the Canary (1927). 2- Vampyr (1932)
    October 2nd. 3- Young Frankenstein (1974)
    October 3rd. 4- The Return of the Vampire (1943)
    October 4th. 5- Viy (1967)
    October 5th. 6- Escape the Undertaker (2021) 7- Terror Train (1980)
    October 6th. 7- The Company of Wolves (1984)
    October 7th. 8- Gretel & Hansel (2020). 9- Babylon 5: Thirdspace (1998)
    October 8th. 10- My Best Friend is a Vampire (1987). 11- The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977)
    October 9th. 12- The War of the Worlds (1953). 13- 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957)
    October 10th. 14- Kiss of the Vampire (1963)
    October 11th. 15- Pale Blood (1990)

October 12th. 16- Apostle (2018). 17- Dracula (Spanish version, 1931)

Not to be confused with the Robert Duvall drama, The Apostle. A rich man's daughter is being held for ransom by a religious cult on an island off Britain. Dan Stevens plays her troubled brother who infiltrates the flock in hopes of rescuing her. And it seems as if this cult and its prophet, played by Michael Sheen, might actually have found something supernatural. It's directed by Gareth Edwards, who did The Raid duology. Perhaps because of that it should not come as a surprise when things get more gory and brutal than the early parts of the movie might suggest.

Having finally seen this, I think there's no only one 'major' adaptation of Dracula that I haven't seen yet, and that's the Turkish version from the 50s.

The conventional wisdom about Spanish Dracula is that it's better than the English language version in every way except for the actor playing Dracula himself. I would add that the American professor Van Helsing is also better. Carlos Villarias as Drac makes such goofy expressions that it kills many scenes. I really think that even if there wasn't a Lugosi to compare him to, this would be comical. When he isn't doing that, he's fine, though he doesn't make much of an impression visually, nor does he seem to be putting on an exotic accent. His foe looks like Eugene Levy and almost matches him in goofy faces.
    Renfield is a tough call, but the Spanish version gets more to do so that gives him the edge. Beyond that, it's got better camera work in many parts, though in some cases I think Todd Browning staged things better. Spanish has a sexier wardrobe for Lucia and Eva than Lucy and Mina would dare to have worn. There is more story in this one, which the drawback being that the second act drags more and Dracula himself is less enigmatic. Interesting to note that the director didn't speak Spanish, but he often got more production value with the same sets and script.
    All in all, I think a Dracula movie lives or dies by its Dracula, and Lugosi blows Villarias away.

Here's a good rundown on the differences
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZDoon5n_Q4

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    10) "Stephen King's" The Lawnmower Man (1992).

I'd say this didn't age well, but did it ever really look any good?
    [/color][/font]
    A year after Terminator 2 and a year before Jurassic Park...so I'm thinking no, it did not.
    Last edited by Jared; 09-03-2022 at 01:23 PM.

Fantastic Member

39. The Blood On Satan's Claw (1971) - British cult classic cited as partially giving rise to the folk horror genre in the early 70s. Set in the 18th century (though sometimes said to be the 17th). the film "(from Wikipedia) follows the residents of a rural village whose youth fall under the influence of a demonic presence after a local farmer unearths a mysterious deformed skull buried in a field." I found it well paced and fairly engaging, without excessively long dull stretches which seem common for b-movies of the time, it also isn't afraid of killing off or visiting misfortune upon prominent characters, after the first 15 minutes or so I was beginning to wonder if there would be any characters left alive by the end (fun fact: the original ending did actually have a militia organized by the judge kill all the villagers in order to eradicate the cult).

40. Castle Freak (1995) - A man travels to Italy with his wife and daighter, who was blinded in an accident that killed the couple's 5 year old son, there they visit the castle he inherited form a previously unknown relative. After arriving, the long-hidden disfigured creature chained in the basement escapes to terrorize the family and leave a bloody trail of death. Made on a limited budget, the film makes optimal use of its gore and makeup effects and the castle setting, additionally, Jeffery Combs and Barbara Crampton turn in noteworthy performances as a couple dealing with the fallout of alcoholism and the death of their son.

41. The Exorcist III (1990) - The third installment of The Exorcist series and considered by many to be the proper sequel to the 1973 original. A series of grisly murders bearing the distinct hallmarks of the Gemini killer, executed 15 years prior, lead police investigators to the hospital psychiatric ward. There, a patient locked up in a cell in the "disturbed" wing, and catatonic until just recently, claims he is the Gemini and will continue killing unless his return is reported to the press. One of my favorite films after first seeing it on TV back in the mid 90s, it just has a creepy, disturbing atmosphere that's present in even the most mundane scenes, and it makes very effective use of sound and silence to accentuate the dread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    The conventional wisdom about Spanish Dracula is that it's better than the English language version in every way except for the actor playing Dracula himself. I would add that the American professor Van Helsing is also better.
    Same here. Van Sloan is no Brando or anything, but his flat, steely resolve was a lot more interesting to listen to.

The scene that suffers for it the most in the Spanish version is when Dracula tries to mentally control him. He covers his face with his cape, commands Van Helsing to place his crucifix in a box and close the lid, waits a few seconds, then asks, "Did you do it?" It was as funny as any scene in the Mel Brooks Dracula parody.

I also slightly prefer Dwight Frye's Renfield, but they were both good.