Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default 31 Nights of Halloween & Horror: 2021!

Here are the rules. It is said that on dark nights in October, you can still here the cries of those who disobeyed.

1. The Number of the Beast is 31: The goal, as always, is view at least 31 films between October 1 and October 31. Few make it all the way to31 on their first year, but all are encouraged to try. to add their names to the elite Brethren of the Night. While a film per day is encouraged, double and triple-billing (or more) is perfectly acceptable and often necessary.

2. Medium Be Damned: The movies shall not be just theatrical, obviously. Origina lTV, Cable, DVD/VHS and Streaming movies shall be legal tender as well. So view to your black heart's content, even on your phone, yea accursed Gen-Zers.

3. Leave A Trail: Please provide a link or description for all the films you view. This will allow the others the chance to add to their watch lists for later or just to compare progress. Feel free to also add poster art and/or trailers as well to add color to your post. And of course your own thoughts on film would be nice to hear...before the end.

4. Simpsons Can't Do It: Halloween-themed episodes of a regular series don't count. Nor do episodes of supernatural-themed shows like Buffy, Supernatural, American Horror Story. TV specials like It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown may count. Use your judgement on if a short film is too short to count as a film in itself or if you want to count it for half. If it's something If you plan on binging through an entire season of something, that's worth noting but you should count it separately if at all, along with any other series episodes you might want to talk about.

5. Horror is more like a Guidline: it doesn't have to be an actual 'horror movie', per say. Comedies and action flicks with macabre themes are perfectly acceptable; Abbot and Costello Meet the Mummy, Scary movie, Aliens, Blade, etc...

Check out last year's outing here...

Various airing schedule here: https://www.halloweenmoviesontv.com/
    Last edited by Jared; 09-27-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Thanks allot for Restarting this, I always like to keep this a CBR Tradition and I am glad to see you continue it Jared!

Looking Greatly Forward to starting the challenge and my theme for this year!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Mighty Member

Hmmm, gonna try this.
    Doubt I’ll make it to 31, but it’s always worth a try

Edit. Damn, just saw no tv episodes, that leaves twin peaks part 8 out

Fantastic Member

Been wondering if this was going to happen the last few days, almost started my watching early thinking there wasn't any interest.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Hmmm, gonna try this.
    Doubt I’ll make it to 31, but it’s always worth a try

Edit. Damn, just saw no tv episodes, that leaves twin peaks part 8 out

There's always Fire Walk With Me.
    Last edited by Jared; 09-27-2021 at 03:10 PM.

I am gonna try......
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    There's always Fire Walk With Me.
    That was on my list

Fantastic Member

Getting things rolling with copious amounts of pizza and beer, along with appropriately themed movies for the Halloween season...

1. Beetlejuice (1988) - Kicking things off with the Tim Burton directed classic, he's been somewhat maligned for being predictable and formulaic the last couple of decades, but this was Burton at the height of his career during the last decade and a half of the 20th century. From what I've read, Sammy Davis Jr. was originally envisioned in the title role, which would have made this a MUCH different film.

2. The Evil Dead (1981) - Next up, the concept that Sam Rami has revisited and revised several times since first filming it as a short (Within The Woods) in 1978. This entry in the Evil Dead franchise plays things fairly straight, leaning into the horror aspects of the story while only very mildly hinting at the slapstick which would be featured in Evil Dead II and Army Of Darkness.

I honestly wonder if I'll be able to do all 31 this year, with the way my work schedule has been the last few months. But I'll give it the ol' college try.

1. Isle of the Dead (1945)

Easing my way into this year with a quiet, familiar flick. One of three movies Boris Karloff did for RKO with producer Val Lewton, this one his heavy on atmosphere. He plays a dictatorial Greek general who is quarantined with a group of people on an island when the plague hits (that part certainly hits closer to home now than it did the first couple times I watched this, let me tell you). His obsession with protecting people and his helplessness in battling a disease drives him to believe in an enemy he can fight; a demon known as a Vorvolaka, disguised as one of his his fellow quarantined housemates.

Throw in a case of catalepsy, that favorite standby of old-timey horror movies, and you've got yourself a moody little gem.

I'm all in! I got them all last year so gonna give it a run again and hope I'll knock it out again. The weekend of Halloween I'll be in New Orleans for my yearly trip that I missed last year due to it being locked down so I'll try to double up a few days or more.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Disaster View Post
    Getting things rolling with copious amounts of pizza and beer, along with appropriately themed movies for the Halloween season...

1. Beetlejuice (1988) - Kicking things off with the Tim Burton directed classic, he's been somewhat maligned for being predictable and formulaic the last couple of decades, but this was Burton at the height of his career during the last decade and a half of the 20th century. From what I've read, Sammy Davis Jr. was originally envisioned in the title role, which would have made this a MUCH different film.

2. The Evil Dead (1981) - Next up, the concept that Sam Rami has revisited and revised several times since first filming it as a short (Within The Woods) in 1978. This entry in the Evil Dead franchise plays things fairly straight, leaning into the horror aspects of the story while only very mildly hinting at the slapstick which would be featured in Evil Dead II and Army Of Darkness.
    I have the Evil Dead movies on my list to watch, it has been years (decades?) since I've seen the first one. Hope that it lives up to the memory, many things seldom do.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Fantastic Member

October 1st - White Zombie (1932) **

Not a big fan of this one, great set design but the plot was silly and the performances were over the top and not really scary. Lugosi is hit or miss with me and this was a miss.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I came looking for this thread, and I'm so glad to see it up and running.

Last year, (my first) I managed to hit 31 movies, but I was working from home, so I was home all day, every day.

I expect there will be a lot of duplicates from last year for me, but I tend to watch favorites each season.

This is one of them! AMC tonight if running the 1978 original Halloween.

Mighty Member

I’m going to cheat and use a film I saw a few days ago (I had just got it and couldn’t wait to see it), anyway, if it’s not allowed, I’ll just have to rewatch it.
    #1. House (1977)- a crazy Japanese film with some surreal effects. It’s so over the top it’s funny. It has a scene where a girl gets eaten by a Piano, what’s not to love?

Incredible Member

October 1st. 1- The Cat and the Canary (1927)

Went way back to the silent era to start off. Comedic 'old dark house' of people in a possibly haunted mansion for a will reading. Interesting in a historical sense. Certainly watchable if you don't mind silent films, but I can't say it really stood out. I imagine this works better as a play or as a talkie, I believe it has a remake.

Maybe the first "G-g-g-ghosts?!" in history? Here I had always assumed that line was a Shaggy original.
    Last edited by Jared; 09-03-2022 at 12:57 PM.