Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

October 1st. 1- The Cat and the Canary (1927). 2- Vampyr (1932)
    October 2nd. 3- Young Frankenstein (1974)
    October 3rd. 4- The Return of the Vampire (1943)
    October 4th. 5- Viy (1967)
    October 5th. 6- Escape the Undertaker (2021) 7- Terror Train (1980)
    October 6th. 7- The Company of Wolves (1984)
    October 7th. 8- Gretel & Hansel (2020). 9- Babylon 5: Thirdspace (1998)
    October 8th. 10- My Best Friend is a Vampire (1987). 11- The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977)
    October 9th. 12- The War of the Worlds (1953). 13- 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957)
    October 10th. 14- Kiss of the Vampire (1963)
    October 11th. 15- Pale Blood (1990)
    October 12th. 16- Apostle (2018). 17- Dracula (Spanish version, 1931)
    October 13th. 18- Ghostwatch (1992) 19- Late Phases (2014)
    October 14th. 20- Ghostbusters (1984) 21- Savageland (2017) 22- House of Black Death (1965)
    October 15th. 23- It Waits (2005). 24- Within the Woods (1978)
    October 16th. 25- Beetlejuice (1988)
    October 17th. 26- Halloween (2018). 27- Halloween Kills (2021)
    October 18th. 28- Slumber Party Massacre (2021)

October 19th. 29- The Titan Find (1984) 30- The Angry Red Planet (1959)

Also known as Creature, this version is the director's cut. I've seen the theatrical version on cable before, I can't say I remember much of a difference. It's your basic Alien ripoff, but with more budget than usual. Klaus Kinski has a small role. There's some decent looking space stuff and interior sets. But whoever was doing set design for the moon Titan was apparently never told that there shouldn't be any spiderwebs...and it's not like they're supposed to be from the creature, either! The creature itself looks more than a little bit like a xenomorph when in profile. It doesn't hatch out of people, but it does infect some victims with some a brain-bug that can control them. There's a female corporate security officer who acts so mysterious that whole movie that you'd think for sure there's going to be another Alien-like twist about her, but there's not. There are some parts where the script seemingly acknowledges that the characters are being incredibly stupid, and some usage of obvious sound effects from Star Wars, which makes me wonder if this may have been conceived as a comedy-horror at some point. But it never really goes that direction. For what it is, which is a cut-rate Alien knockoff from the 80s, it's probably one of the best ones.

A retro-futristic rocket returns to Earth without communications, with one survivor suffering a strange infection and the other in shock. What happened on their mission is then told in flashback.
    A very of-its-time B-movie. The exterior of Mars is presented "in Cinemagic", which near I can tell is just a severe red filter over everything along with some glow animation and a some matte backgrounds. It probably helps disguise how bad some of the props and creatures would otherwise look. It doesn't quite hide the fact that their spacesuits don't have facemasks, but at least they tried. One of the creatures, and the most interesting, seems like a conceptual knockoff of The Blob. But that only came out the year before, so I don't know if this movie actually had time to rip it off or not.

If you want a real movie from this era about exploring a strange new world and fighting monsters, watch Forbidden Planet instead. It! The The Terror From Beyond Space was also better. I will give it some scientific kudos in that they mention the rocket doing a 1G acceleration to give them gravity. They also talk about lag time with communications, even though I'm sure they fudge the math.

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    [size=3][B]17)the speed at which the characters figure out and accept what's going on is ridiculous,
    As I recall, after a certain point it just seems like Dean Stockwell's character has been reading the script when no one else is looking.
    Last edited by Jared; 11-01-2022 at 12:42 PM.

1. The Bat (1959)
    2. Hound of the Baskervilles (1959)
    3. The Vampire Happening (1971)
    4. The Blob (1958)
    5. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
    6. Magnetic Monster (1953)
    7. Angry Red Planet (1959)
    8. The Blob (1988)
    9. The Raven (1935)

10. Invisible Man (1933) - A scientist turns himself invisible using a dangerous drug and goes insane. This movie was based on the HG Wells book and follows it pretty closely. Interestingly, there is no "origin of the Invisible Man" sequence in the movie, it just jumps right in when he is already invisible and trying to figure out how to reverse it. Universal in the 1930s, on the heels of Dracula, did a bunch more horror films including this one. Although it got high marks back in the day when it came out, I found this movie to be a bit lackluster. Claude Rains as the Invisible Man was, however, the best part of the flick.

11. Comedy of Terrors (1963) - The owner of a funeral parlor decides to start killing people to drum up business. Well, that's it. I've finally seen a bad movie with Vincent Price in it. Childhood ruined. This movie had the same problem as Ghostbusters: Answer the Call did - way too many jokes and comedy with hardly any restraint or harmony to them. It was just joke after joke after joke competing with each other with no heart whatsoever, to the point of creating a sort of droning monotony of dumb jokes to the point where you just want it to be over already. For the record, I don't think Vincent Price, Peter Lorre or Boris Karloff did a bad job acting their parts, their acting was the best part. But the movie script was just a dog of a script. Just like I think Kate McKinnon was the best part of GB.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 10-19-2021 at 10:43 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

1. Isle of the Dead (1945)
    2a. The Vampire Bat (1933)
    2b. The Body Snatcher (1945)
    3a. The Thing (1982)
    3b. The Old Dark House (1932)
    3c. Freaked (1993)
    4. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)
    5. Wishmaster (1997)
    6. Jason X (2001)
    7. Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021)
    8a. Dracula (Spanish version) (1931)
    8b. Count Dracula (1977)
    8c. Terror Train (1980)
    9. The Plague of the Zombies (1966)
    10a. Deadly Friend (1986)
    10b. Kiss of the Vampire (1963)
    10c. Braindead / Dead Alive (1992)
    11. The Deadly Spawn (1983)
    12a. Frankenstein Unbound (1990)
    12b. It's Alive (1974)
    12c. The Bad Seed (1956)
    13. Young Frankenstein (1974)
    14. Halloween Kills (2021)
    15a. The Invisible Man Returns (1940)
    15b. Hollow Man (2000)
    16a. The Undying Monster (1942)
    16b. The Brain (1988)
    17. Christine (1983)
    18. Burnt Offerings (1976)

19. Salem's Lot (2004)

Technically a TV mini-series, but as far as I'm concerned, you splice the two parts together and put it on a DVD, it's a movie.

This second adaptation of the Stephen King story is a lot closer to the book in some ways. We meet more of the Lot's characters, and the "dull, mindless, moronic evil" that makes up the small town. Father Callahan's role is appropriately beefed up. And the "vampire hunters" portion of the story is allowed to breathe a bit more, instead of abruptly coming to an end in the Marsten House.

It's also mostly better cast. Rutger Hauer, even sleepwalking through the part, was a more interesting head vampire than the silent Nosferatu-looking creature in the first one. Rob Lowe, while not the most exciting actor in the world, didn't put me to sleep whenever he spoke, like David Soul did. Andre Braugher and James Cromwell are both great as always. The only one who I think did a noticeably worse job was Donald Sutherland as Straker. He played it a bit too "crazy old man", which is a lot less intimidating than James Mason's stoic performance.

Ultimately, what this version has in book fidelity, it loses in movie magic. Which is to be expected, when the original was directed by Tobe Hooper and this one was directed by someone you've never heard of. Once you see these words on the screen, you have to realize that there's a limit to the level of quality you should expect.

I'm hopeful that the planned theatrical version will be able to take what works from each of the TV adaptations and deliver something that's both faithful to the book and exciting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    October 8th. 10- My Best Friend is a Vampire (1987). 11- The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977)
    October 9th. 12- The War of the Worlds (1953). 13- 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957)
    October 14th. 20- Ghostbusters (1984) 21- Savageland (2017) 22- House of Black Death (1965)

A very good reboot/sequel. Rebootquel? This was my second time seeing it since 2018, it's still mostly works. I think the actress playing Laurie's grandaughter and the one who played her blonde friend should have switched roles, the latter is much more charming. Alyson is less interesting on screen than her mom or grandma. John Carpenter's score is great. It's very well shot. Some of the humor feels out of place. All in all, this is still probably the second best movie in the entire franchise. In hindsight, they probably should have just made this like it was going to be a single movie with a definitive end...

WTF happened here?! This is the most disappointing movie of the year for me. It's hard to believe this is the same director and two of same writers as the previous one. Tonally it's all wrong. I can enjoy shlock slashers when that's what I'm going in for. But that's not what 2018 was and it damn sure isn't what the original movie was.

There's an endless parade of too-stupid-to-live characters that Michael slaughters in improbable ways. Laurie Strode spends the whole movie in the hospital with nothing to actually do, which is exactly the thing people didn't like about the original Halloween 2. There's an overwrought subplot about mob mentality that doesn't mesh with the action splatterfest or the borderline parody that other scenes seem to going for. I remember David Gordon Green saying he didn't like how earlier sequels went more and more overt in making Michael an overtly supernatural monster...he lied.

This movie is already retconning the previous movie! The officer who was stabbed in the neck and then run over...forget the run over part. Laurie is a recluse...except she has a tight circle of friends all bonded by that night in 1978...including the nurse who drove to the sanitarium with Loomis and didn't live in Haddonfield. In 2018 we were told that Myers killed 5 people in '78...flashbacks (which look good, at least) add another kill that he would surely have been blamed for. People freak out about how Michael Myers "has haunted this town for 40 years!"....as if they're in the original series continuity. But they're not, according to these movies he killed his sister when he was a kid, killed some people in 78, and that was it. Most people didn't even know much about it anymore.

As its own thing, this is an OK slasher, probably still in the upper half when ranked against the entire franchise. But it's a terrible sequel to 2018 and doesn't give high hopes for Halloween Ends.

I would bet money that within a few years we'll see Jamie Lee Curtis in interviews joking around about how freaking stupid this one was. She probably doesn't know WTF happened either.
    Okay, just watched this, and I enjoyed it myself.

I don't think the people you mentioned were a 'tight circle of friends', though. Maybe Tommy and Lindsey stayed in touch, but I never got the impression she invited them over for survival training. I will say it was weird the kids were hanging around with Loomis's nurse, though.

But here's what gets me- Halloween 2018 brought Michael back, more or less, to being a realistic, HUMAN killer. Sure, it's a bit odd that a guy his age was tossing people around like straw dummies. And yes, he took his fair share of damage. He was shot a few times, hit with a car, had half his hand blown off, then was set on fire (guess Laurie never considered the gun rack would make for a good fire shelter. Oops.). But in this movie, Michael was shot and stabbed multiple times, and bludgeoned repeatedly. And yet, he kept getting up an killing more people, including the entire posse that just beat him down. They've taken Michael, once again, from being a human maniac to some sort of supernatural killer.

Also, the boyfriends death was HARD. And that twist of the neck was just there to f**k with Alysson.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    But here's what gets me- Halloween 2018 brought Michael back, more or less, to being a realistic, HUMAN killer. Sure, it's a bit odd that a guy his age was tossing people around like straw dummies. And yes, he took his fair share of damage. He was shot a few times, hit with a car, had half his hand blown off, then was set on fire (guess Laurie never considered the gun rack would make for a good fire shelter. Oops.). But in this movie, Michael was shot and stabbed multiple times, and bludgeoned repeatedly. And yet, he kept getting up an killing more people, including the entire posse that just beat him down. They've taken Michael, once again, from being a human maniac to some sort of supernatural killer.
    I think they're going to hedge their bets and keep it debatable right up until the end. If they wanted to explicitly make Michael supernatural, I think they would've spoilers:
    had Judy Greer stab him in the head or heart instead of vaguely in the back/shoulder.
    end of spoilers

That said, I honestly think it's a pretty academic point. I can't buy into the idea that the 60-year-old-man-who-was-institutionalized-for-50-of-those-years is capable of anything we saw in the previous movie either. So for me, a shift from impossible human killer to supernatural killer would only be a lateral move.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Okay, just watched this, and I enjoyed it myself.

I don't think the people you mentioned were a 'tight circle of friends', though. Maybe Tommy and Lindsey stayed in touch, but I never got the impression she invited them over for survival training. I will say it was weird the kids were hanging around with Loomis's nurse, though.

Also, the boyfriends death was HARD. And that twist of the neck was just there to f**k with Alysson.
    They did try and explain away the whole how much damage he can take and how he keeps going when Laurie was in the hospital talking to the cop about fear, hate, the killing all made him stronger and helped him Transend into something more then he was or some BS.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ok so Halloween Kills. I liked the 1978 flashback scenes, I thought they were well done and they did pretty good likeness with Loomis. The rest of the movie - ouch. We have the survivor's of Michael attacks 40 years ago hang out in a bar every Halloween to celebrate surviving Michael? And one of them was never in Haddonfield at all (Nurse Marion). Plus Sherriff Brackett is now a 90 year old security guard running around Haddonfield hospital with a mob yelling "Evil Dies Tonight" chasing some Penguin looking dude.

Michael is not obsessed with Laurie and basically only wants to head back to his Child hood home & stare out his sisters bedroom window, after he escapes? I do like the fact that Laurie was "stalked" by Michael for "being in the wrong place at the wrong time", and was not targeted specifically by Michael. Finally the whole being beat down by a mob of like 30 people and then Michael jumping up and killing them all in like 30 seconds was a bit much. They went supernatural which is allegedly where Green did not want to go. And if you pay attention, there are clues on how to kill Michael - think of any Zombie movie or game.

I will watch Ends just to see how the trilogy wraps up and what this final scene that will drive everyone nuts, (as JLC recently said). I can only think of one thing, and no its not Michael killing Laurie.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    They did try and explain away the whole how much damage he can take and how he keeps going when Laurie was in the hospital talking to the cop about fear, hate, the killing all made him stronger and helped him Transend into something more then he was or some BS.
    I believe this was a similar quote to one said in Curse of Michael Myers?

Fantastic Member

63. The Lodge (2019) - A psychological horror thriller that (from Wikipedia) "follows a soon-to-be stepmother who, alone with her fiancé's two children, becomes stranded at their rural lodge during Christmas. There, she and the children experience a number of unexplained events that seem to be connected to her past" as the daughter of a religious cult leader. Not bad, it does the creepy interior and isolated from civilization shots well, and features an excellent performance from Riley Keough as a young woman freed from a fanatical cult, only to find her mental stability slowly slipping away.

64. The Shining (1980) - The classic Stanley Kubrick adaptation of the Stephen King novel. Struggling writer and alcoholic Jack Torrance takes a job as the winter caretaker of the Overlook Hotel, slowly succumbing to the forces within, and terrorizing his family along the way. One of my all-time favorite films, I've easily seen it more than three dozen times over the years.

65. Doctor Sleep (2019) - Sequel to The Shining, and the second production involving Stephen King attempting to undo certain aspects of Kibrick's film, which King famously hated. From Wikipedia: "In the film, Dan Torrance, now an adult, must protect a young girl with similar powers from a cult known as the True Knot, whose members prey on children who possess the shining to extend their own lives." Like most people, I found roughly the first two thirds of the movie to be pretty decent, the material was definitely strong enough to stand on its own without having to try recreating Kubrick's Shining and shoe horn it into the film. A lot of the final act looked more like a video game preview, introducing the boss for each level, which was a huge letdown, way too much unnecessarily nostalgic fan service. I think the Overlook scenes could have worked a lot better with a less is more approach, I didn't mind the searching through the deserted and decaying hallways and rooms, but having the ghouls make such solidly tangible appearances and reenacting scenes from the 1980 film came off as jokey more often than not.

66. The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015) - Psychological slow burn horror thriller which deals with a young girl at a boarding school during winter break who may either be possessed by a demon, or suffering from some mental psychosis.

67. Death Bed: The Bed That Eats (1977) - From Wikipedia: "Long ago, a demon fell in love with a woman and conjured up a bed on which to make love to her. The woman died during the act, and, in his grief, the demon wept tears of blood which fell on the bed and caused it to come to life. While the demon rests, the bed's evil is contained, but once every ten years, the demon wakes, giving the bed the power to physically eat human beings. Only one man, an artist identified as Aubrey Beardsley, was spared, as the bed condemned him to immortality behind a painting, where he must forever witness the bed taking victims. The bed passed from owner to owner until the present day."

1. The Bat (1959)
    2. Hound of the Baskervilles (1959)
    3. The Vampire Happening (1971)
    4. The Blob (1958)
    5. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
    6. Magnetic Monster (1953)
    7. Angry Red Planet (1959)
    8. The Blob (1988)
    9. The Raven (1935)
    10. Invisible Man (1933)
    11. Comedy of Terrors (1963)

12. Ghost Ship (2002) - Salvage crew finds a derelict ship that is haunted by a supernatural being who kills and steals souls. From the starting opening sequence to the end, everything is very predictable. There were a couple of twists in the movie as the mystery of what happened to the passengers and crew gets sussed out, and one more bigger mystery near the end but overall the mysteries are too confusing and vaguely presented to really be interesting. Overall the concept was good but the execution (I see what you did there) made the movie forgettable.

13. Return of the Invisible Man (1940) - Sequel to Invisible Man. A man who is framed for committing a murder gets turned invisible by his friend (who has the formula from the first invisible man) so he can hunt down the real killer. Like the first movie in the series, this one starts quickly just jumping right in with little preamble. But this was a more mature movie, I thought, with a more fleshed out story and characters. Where the first one had a lot of screaming and maniacal laughter, this one was much more thoughtful.

14. Forbidden Planet (1956) - An expedition from earth is sent to check up on a previous expedition that had been sent to colonize Altair IV and they find only two survivors and a mystery. This movie started quite a few of what would become tropes of the scifi genre, from intelligent robots to the score to how the inside of a starship looks and functions (modeled after a WWII submarine). So it was very interesting to see such a trend-setting film. The twist at the end is one that can stand side by side with twists in the best scifi novels I have read. Some have compared it to Shakespeare's Tempest, and I can see the resemblance. Glad that I watched this classic for the first time.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 10-20-2021 at 11:58 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

3a. The Thing (1982)
    3c. Freaked (1993)
    5. Wishmaster (1997)
    6. Jason X (2001)
    8b. Count Dracula (1977)
    8c. Terror Train (1980)
    12b. It's Alive (1974)
    12c. The Bad Seed (1956)
    15b. Hollow Man (2000)
    16b. The Brain (1988)
    17. Christine (1983)
    19. Salem's Lot (2004)

20a. The Screaming Skull (1958)
    20b. Robot Monster (1953)

I was in the mood for something funny but couldn't decide on a horror-comedy, so I opted for watching the Mystery Science Theater version of a couple of old pieces of crap. Streaming for free on the Shout Factory TV website!

3a. The Thing (1982)
    3c. Freaked (1993)
    5. Wishmaster (1997)
    6. Jason X (2001)
    8b. Count Dracula (1977)
    8c. Terror Train (1980)
    12b. It's Alive (1974)
    12c. The Bad Seed (1956)
    15b. Hollow Man (2000)
    16b. The Brain (1988)
    17. Christine (1983)
    19. Salem's Lot (2004)
    20a. The Screaming Skull (1958)
    20b. Robot Monster (1953)

21. Cursed (2005)

A werewolf movie directed by Wes Craven and starring Christina Ricci and Jesse Eisenberg (and, like, half a dozen other people you've heard of. Seriously, almost every minor role in this movie went on to be someone).

I thought I was watching this for the first time, but I think I might have rented it back in the day and completely forgotten about it. Which is understandable, as it's a very forgettable film. Much more interesting than the movie are the stories of its near-total reshoot. It was like 90% done and the Weinstein's made Craven go back and reshoot almost everything: cutting from 3 main protagonists down to 2, making those two siblings when they'd been previously unrelated, and changing the identity of the main werewolf. Not to mention replacing the Rick Baker werewolf effects with CGI, and cutting it down from an R to PG.

I probably would've started forgetting about this movie all over again, but now I keep thinking, "Oh, THAT'S why that part didn't make sense! And THAT'S why the second-to-last action scene was 3 times as long as the final one! And THAT'S why the CGI quality kept nosediving, because by this point they'd already spent their operating budget several times over!"

If this was a quickie movie that nobody involved really cared about, made by some nobody filmmakers, it all would have made perfect sense. But instead it was made by the people responsible for the insanely-profitable Scream franchise, and was the result of producers caring so much that they reshot the thing into incoherence. Utterly baffling.

Well, folks, I'm going to try and catch up this weekend and I have a big day planned next Saturday, but I don't think I'm going to be successful this year. Between grad school, work and one of my certification exams, there was no way for me to keep up. I think I'm going to be happy if I can finish the month with 20.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

My computer is pretty much down for the count, so I haven't been able to update here. New comp arrives tomorrow. I've still been watching movies. Here's the latest update.

1. Halloween (1978)
    2. Halloween II (1981)
    3. Poltergeist (1982)
    4. Ghost Ship (202)
    5. The Crazies (2010)
    6. The Dead Zone (1983)
    7. Thinner (1996)
    8. Silver Bullet (1985)
    9. Christine (1983)
    10. The Shining (1980)
    11. Carrie (1976)
    12. Scream (1996)
    13. Final Destination (2000)
    14. Eight Legged Freaks (2002)
    15. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
    16. Candyman (1992)
    17. Candyman - Farewell to the Flesh (1995)

18. Annabelle (2014) - John Form (Ward Horton) thinks he's found the perfect gift for his expectant wife, Mia (Annabelle Wallis) : a vintage doll in a beautiful white dress. However, the couple's delight doesn't last long: One terrible night, devil worshippers invade their home and launch a violent attack against the couple. When the cultists try to summon a demon, they smear a bloody rune on the nursery wall and drip blood on Mia's doll, thereby turning the former object of beauty into a conduit for ultimate evil.

19. Final Destination 2 (2003) - Kimberly (A.J. Cook) has a premonition of a horrible highway accident killing multiple people -- including her and her friends. She blocks the cars behind her on the ramp from joining traffic -- and as a police trooper (Michael Landes) arrives, the accident actually happens. Now, Death is stalking this group of mistaken survivors -- and one by one they are dying as they were supposed to on the highway.

20. House of Wax (2005) - A gang of college friends, including Wade (Jared Padalecki) and his girlfriend, Carly (Elisha Cuthbert), are en route to a school football game when they wind up with a flat tire in a ghost town. They are forced to seek help in the only place that's open: the local wax museum. Once inside the spooky and seemingly abandoned building, they find the works on display are not quite what they seem -- and the group soon discovers it's being hunted by the insane twin brothers who run the museum.

20. Thirteen Ghosts (2001) - A state-of-the-art remake of the classic William Castle horror film about a family that inherits a spectacular old house from an eccentric uncle. There's just one problem: the house seems to have a dangerous agenda all its own. Trapped in their new home by strangely shifting walls, the family encounters powerful and vengeful entities that threaten to annihilate anyone in their path.

Incredible Member

October 18th. 28- Theater of Blood (1973). 29- I Am Lisa (2020)

Vincent Price plays a frustrated Shakespearean actor performing bloody revenge on his critics. It's a fun time, but should have been 10 or 15 minutes shorter. There's no question about who who the killer is, why he's killing, who the targets are, or who is helping him. Plus, the last couple murders are kind of running out of creative steam. But Price and Diana Rigg are having a ball.

A bookish young woman is brutalized and left to die in the woods by a corrupt small town sheriff and her criminal family. She gets bitten by a wolf, starts undergoing the change, and finds herself with the means to take revenge on her assailants. It's set in the present day but goes for an 80s visual and musical aesthetic, which other movies have done better. If anything, I think the revenge element called for something with more of a 70s Grindhouse feel. The biggest weakness is that the villains are all one-note and kind of half-assed. They know about werewolves but they take very little action to go after the heroine. It's hard to get invested in Lisa's confrontation with the sheriff when the sheriff seems almost disinterested in Lisa's actions.

Still, it's a solid werewolf flick, and the 20th was a full moon so I'm glad I found a new one worth watching.
    Last edited by Jared; 10-21-2021 at 09:06 PM.