Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

1. Isle of the Dead (1945)
    2a. The Vampire Bat (1933)
    2b. The Body Snatcher (1945)
    3a. The Thing (1982)

Added a few more today.

3b. The Old Dark House (1932)

Another one I keep rewatching every year, so there's not much new to say. Definitely the best Universal horror movie that doesn't feature one of the classic monsters.

3c. Freaked (1993)

I figure this counts. A horror parody in the vein of Airplane!, Hot Shots and the like, starring Alex Winter (with an uncredited Keanu in an extended cameo). Pretty good makeup effects for such a silly movie, and a lot of the humor holds up better than you'd expect of something from that era.

Mighty Member

My list
    1) 1922 (2017)
    2)Gerald's Game (2017)
    3) Doctor Sleep (2019)

Finished up my weekend with a movie based on Stephen King and Joe Hill's 2012 novella.

4) In the Tall Grass (2019)

After hearing a young boy's cry for help, a sister and brother venture into a vast field of tall grass in Kansas but soon discover there may be no way out...and that something evil lurks within.

I'm not sure how I feel about this movie, out of all the 4 movies based on King's work I watched this weekend this was the weakest, it was not horrible but I lost interest quickly.

My List:
    1) Maximum Overdrive (1986)
    2) No One Gets Out Alive (2021)
    3) Pet Sematary (1989)
    4) My Heart Can't Beat Unless You Tell It To (2020)
    5) Tales From the Darkside: The Movie (1990)

6) Stephen King's It (1990). It hasn't aged well (and it was a 1990 TV movie to begin with), but IMO there's still something inherently creepier in Tim Curry's Pennywise over Bill Skarsgård in the more recent version. It's a long investment, but he's definitely worth the ticket (that you didn't need to buy).
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Incredible Member

October 1st. 1- The Cat and the Canary (1927). 2- Vampyr (1932)
    October 2nd. 3- Young Frankenstein (1974)
    October 3rd. 4- The Return of the Vampire (1943)

Essentially off-brand versions of Universal's Dracula and Wolfman from another studio. The first act could be the final act to an unmade movie. A highlight is a discussion between the evil Dr. Tesla and the woman who helped slay him decades earlier. The werewolf character doesn't get enough exploration before the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    [size=2]My List:

6) Stephen King's It (1990). It hasn't aged well (and it was a 1990 TV movie to begin with), but IMO there's still something inherently creepier in Tim Curry's Pennywise over Bill Skarsgård in the more recent version.
    I think it's that Tim Curry actually looks and acts like a clown...at first. Whereas with Skaarsgard, he's always such a creepy fiend from the first moment he appears that no sane child would ever go near him.
    Last edited by Jared; 10-04-2021 at 06:31 PM.

My List:
    3) Pet Sematary (1989)
    6) It (1990)

7) Stephen King's Graveyard Shift (1990). Oof, another bad one. It can be a real rollercoaster of quality when you're dedicatedly watching Stephen King films one after the other.
    Conn Seanery

Mighty Member

My list
    1) 1922 (2017)
    2)Gerald's Game (2017)
    3) Doctor Sleep (2019)
    4) In the Tall Grass (2019)

Decided to go with a classic tonight, that I have not seen for a while, always thought I saw the original but it must have been the remake or one of the sequels because the ending did come as a surprise to me.
    5)Night of the Living Dead (1968)

It is understandable why this Romero’s film is considered a classic, the tension he created and the twists and shocking ending even in 2021 stills makes this an enjoyable watch.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 10-26-2021 at 10:13 AM.

Incredible Member

October 1st. 1- The Cat and the Canary (1927). 2- Vampyr (1932)
    October 2nd. 3- Young Frankenstein (1974)
    October 3rd. 4- The Return of the Vampire (1943)
    October 4th. 5- Viy (1967)

Soviet horror/comedy. I watched it on Tubi, but I see it's also on Youtube. A seminarian encounters a witch, then finds himself having to keep vigil over her body for three nights. It was fun, but there's definitely some folklore involved that I didn't understand.

I could imagine this being remade as either a zany Sam Rami-type movie or a slow, subdued A24 movie.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Smile

Here is My List and Theme for This Years Challenge;

I Wanted to Continue from Where I Left off back at the end of the challenge in 2020 with the Universal Monster Movie Franschices and Pick-Up from their! =)

The only differances here is that in my List I will be more Laser Focus on Pick-Up where I left off and Focusing on Mostly DRACULA and VAMPIRE Movies as a Whole.

I will go with other Universal Monsters too, like Frankenstein and others but I really want to Focus on Dracula and Vampire Lore.

I will also mix it up If I feel like seeing a movie outside of my theme here or thier cause I have an insterest in seeing certain other style movies this year too, but I will see.

Here us My Start!

1.) Billy the Kid Versus Dracula (1966) ~ Amazon Prime

2.) Count Dracula (1970) ~ Amazon Prime

3.) Count Yorga, Vampire (1970) ~ Amazon Prime

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Fantastic Member

I was reminded this morning that Tubi is a thing where you can watch movies for free. There's a LOT of garbage to dig through, but definitely worth the time getting to the better selections, it also helps expand my potential watch list beyond movies in my physical collection.

11. Ginger Snaps (2000) - This has been on my list of movies to get around to watching for quite a few years. The story revolves around two sisters in their mid teens, the older of whom has just experienced her first period, and, shortly thereafter, is attacked by a werewolf that has been killing dogs in the neighborhood. As she experiences the changes brought on with puberty, further complicated by lycanthropy, both girls will have to navigate the effects on their personal lives and sibling relationship.

12. Slumber Party Massacre (1982) - Originally written as a slasher parody, the film's producers altered the screenplay to make a more typical slasher movie, but despite the changes, there's an undercurrent of humor running throughout, which occasionally bubbles to the surface. A group of high school girls have a slumber party, which is crashed by a couple of teen boys and an escaped murderer, it isn't long before the bodies begin to stack up.

13. The Beyond (1981) - "[The] plot follows a woman who inherits a hotel in rural Louisiana that was once the site of a horrific murder, and which may be a gateway to hell. It is the second film in Fulci's "Gates of Hell" trilogy after City of the Living Dead (1980), and was followed by The House by the Cemetery (1981)." (from Wikipedia)

14. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things (1972) - Low budget zombie movie written and directed by Bob Clark (of Black Christmas and A Christmas Story fame). A theater group travel to a small island used as a cemetery for deranged criminals and, at midnight, perform a ceremony to raise the dead, seemingly more for theatrics, as, initially, nothing happens. Eventually though, the dead do rise from their graves, now there question is will anyone make it out alive?

3a. The Thing (1982)
    3c. Freaked (1993)

4. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)

The Fredric March Hyde is right up there with the best of the pre-Code Universal Monster flicks, and goes way darker than any of them. Obviously there's Hyde keeping a woman captive and tormenting her over the span of a month. It hits different than standard monster-on-human violence, and is still uncomfortable to watch.

But there's also Jekyll himself. Most mad scientists start out with noble intentions and then things get out of control. But Jekyll takes the Hyde serum willingly, basically just wanting some guilt-free nights on the town while his fiance is away. And he doesn't stay Hyde this whole time, he keeps re-upping so he can go our and terrorize some more. Then after he kills, he feels guilty about it, but that guilt isn't enough to keep him from trying to avoid the consequences. Definitely a darker character than most of the "Oh, I can't help myself" protagonists of the time.

1a. They Live (1988) - While maybe not a horror, it does have some horrific elements and it's by horror master John Carpenter. The message may have been a little on the nose, but I understand the feeling of insanity that you have when everyone thinks one thing and you think the complete opposite.
    1b. Christine (1983) - A slightly more conventional movie from Carpenter, but still one that featured an evil car. It was really fun and Carpenter did a great job giving Christine as much menace as Michael.
    2. Scanners (1981) - I did not jive with this one as much. It was fine and the special effects were great, but the story really dragged. I don't think it was as interesting or as thought provoking as Videodrome despite feeling like it was more contemplative.
    3. A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014) - I LOVED this. I'm not a vampire fan, but this played with the genre tropes so effectively and crafted a unique, yet familiar tale of forbidden love. After watching it I remarked that it was like Let the Right One In filtered through In the Mood for Love.
    4. An American Werewolf in London (1981) - This is a classic and rightfully so. The makeup still holds up and looks great today. The humor and horror both work effectively.

3a. The Thing (1982)
    3c. Freaked (1993)
    4. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)

5. Wishmaster (1997)

First new movie of the season, and it wasn't bad. Solid B-movie territory. The Djinn is an interesting monster with a unique spin on an old gimmick. It's the standard Monkey's Paw, "be careful what you wish for" shtick, but instead of the victims slowly realizing this over time, the djinn uses the wishes to kill people instantly and move on to the next person, like a slasher villain. He's played by Andrew Divoff, and spends half his time in the monster makeup and the other half disguised as a human. And honestly, I think he's a lot more interesting when in disguise. Has a real Agent Smith thing going, constantly flashing an arrogant smile that barely conceals his contempt for humanity. When he's in the makeup, especially when smoking or cursing in the makeup, he comes off a little like a Freddy wannabe.

I feel like it could have really been something if it had been either a little less funny, or a lot more funny. As it is, it tries to walk that best-of-both-worlds Sam Raimi road, but without the benefit of Raimi's imagination.
    Last edited by Sean Whitmore; 10-05-2021 at 07:27 AM.

1. Friday The 13th (1980)

In 1957, a young boy named Jason drowns in a lake near Camp Crystal Lake. The next year, two counselors are murdered. In 1980, a descendant of the original owners reopens Camp Crystal Lake with some counselors' help. The counselors gets killed one by one by a mysterious person. Could it be Jason, out for revenge?

SPOILERS! Keven Bacon dies and it is one classic kill in slasher movie history! This following Carpenter's Halloween was the start the slasher movie craze that put it's mark on the Horror genre in the early 80s. The use of music and the POV of the killer were outstanding. The acting was a little so so but what do you expect for a low budget horror movie shot in the late 70s so I didn't harp on that too much. The script and filming were spot on and it was very bloody for the time thinks to Tom Savini. The twist at the end of the killer being Jason's mother was done great and her death was awesome (this movie has been out for 40 years and Scream spoils it anyway so is it really a spoiler?). That and kid Jason jumping out the lake for our last fright. Was it a dream?
    I give this one 8/10

Alice: The boy. Is he dead, too?

2. Friday The 13th, Part II

Mrs. Voorhees is dead, and Camp Crystal Lake is shut down, but a camp next to the infamous place is stalked by an unknown assailant.

SPOILERS! So with the success of the first we got to do a second right? With the killer form the first dead have to get a new one so lets with who was the red herring from the first on Jason (no hockey mask yet)! Ginny is one of my favorite "final girls" but this story really isn't great though watching some one in a wheel chair get murdered and roll down a flight of stairs was a good effect. It nice to know that Jason will not treat you differently even though you have a handicap. Ginny's quick thinking saves the day in one of the most memorable scenes in this movie as Jason it totally a mama's boy. I was really not a fan of the the final jump scare in this one as it made no sense.
    I give this one 6/10

Ginny: Paul, there's someone in this room.

3.Friday The 13th, Part III

Having revived from his wounds, Jason Voorhees takes refuge at a cabin near Crystal Lake. As a group of co-eds arrive for their vacation, Jason continues his killing spree.

SPOILERS! So.. Jason didn't die and people keep coming to this place of murder though to be fair this time its not a summer camp. Out side of this being the first time we get the see Jason in his trade mark hockey mask it is a cut and paste slasher film for the time. Though we can all agree that Shelly is an A-hole and were not really sad to see him go. Most of this move is forgettable and and I'll have to look up any one else name outside of Shelly as I've already forgot them. This movie was shot for 3D so on a 2D screen it doesn't play well. Its an ok movie it you are just going down the list of Friday the 13th movies and is not the worst of the bunch.
    I give this one 5/10

Shelly: Oh, they said they were going skinny-dipping. I'm not skinny enough.

I have more will post later
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

My List:
    3) Pet Sematary (1989)
    6) It (1990)
    7) Graveyard Shift (1990)

8) Stephen King's Misery (1990). Ahhh, that's better. Good stuff, Bates & Caan deliver. Misery's always a fun watch.
    Conn Seanery

Fantastic Member

15. Dead And Buried (1981) - The sheriff of the small town of Potters Bluff investigates a series of grisly murders, which takes a turn for the bizarre when the corpses begin showing up in the community alive and well. The town hides a gruesome secret known only to the local mortician.

16. Suspiria (1977) - Probably the most recognized and lauded film of Dario Argento's career, and likely the one for which he will be remembered. It's definitely grown on me since last year's viewing, though I'm still put off some by the dialog, its delivery, and the dubbing.

17. The Houses October Built (2014) - I'm not much of a fan of found footage movies, but I'd seen a few favorable comments and reviews and decided to give it a go. Like a lot of found footage I've seen, it takes a while to get up to speed, and really doesn't begin to get interesting until somewhere arounf the 10 to 15 minute mark. Anyway, a group of friends from Ohio hit the road in an RV to find the scariest haunted house attractions, and are on the hunt for clues to the location of the "Blue Skeleton" haunt, rumored to be the scariest and most extreme haunted attraction known.