3b. The Old Dark House (1932)
    3c. Freaked (1993)
    4. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)
    5. Wishmaster (1997)
    6. Jason X (2001)
    7. Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021)

8a. Dracula (Spanish version) (1931)
    8b. Count Dracula (1977)

I got onto a Dracula kick and checked out an adaptation I've never seen and one I haven't seen in a while.

For anyone who doesn't know, the Spanish version of Dracula was filmed on the same sets as the Lugosi movie, and using the same script. The Spanish cast and crew would come in and shoot at night after their English counterparts finished for the day. What's really interesting about it is that, between the different sensibilities of the two directors and the slightly more permissive nature of the Spanish market, this version of the movie is often thought of as the superior of the two. At least from a story perspective. The last act in particular is hugely improved, but the whole thing just makes a little more sense in this version.

Count Dracula was a BBC movie. Its claim to fame, if it has one, is that it's the closest to the book of all the Dracula film adaptations. And it really is, there's no denying it...but it's also dull as dishwater. Which is not to say I equate the two. Coppola's Dracula was also extremely faithful to the book (minus one glaring exception), and that movie was never boring. The BBC version had all the right ingredients, it just had none of the flavor. It looked as flat as a daytime soap opera, and none of the performances or dialogue ever rose above that comparison. Still, it's free on Amazon Prime at the moment, if anyone is curious.

Mighty Member

My list
    1) 1922 (2017)
    2)Gerald's Game (2017)
    3) Doctor Sleep (2019)
    4) In the Tall Grass (2019)
    5)Night of the Living Dead (1968)
    6) Things Heard & Seen (2021)

For a change of pace, I decided to watch a couple of horrors comedies

7) Little Monsters (2019)

This can best be described as a horror/rom-com. A washed-up musician teams up with a teacher and a kids show personality to protect young children from a sudden outbreak of zombies.
    I enjoyed this it was nice and heart-warming, however, the funniest moments take place in the first 20 minutes before the zombie outbreak.

8) The Dead Don't Die (2019)

In a small peaceful town, zombies suddenly rise to terrorize the town. Now three bespectacled police officers and a strange Scottish morgue expert must band together to defeat the undead.

While there were a few funny moments that got laughs from me, overall I didn't feel like most of the jokes worked, the film was disappointing.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 10-26-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Fantastic Member

24. City Of The Living Dead (1980) - From Wikipedia: "The film follows a priest whose hanging (suicide) opens a gateway to hell that releases the undead, where a psychic and a reporter team up to close it before All Saints' Day." Loosely taking inspiration from H.P. Lovecraft (the town where the main action is centered is named Dunwich) the movie is a follow up to Lucio Fulci's success with Zombi 2. The plot and narrative are fairly thin, and have often been criticized as being nonsensical and hard to follow (I found it easy enough by keeping track of all the characters), and I've had friends say it's best enjoyed by turning off your critical brain and watching it as a series of horror set pieces.

25. Inferno (1980) - The second film in Dario Argento's Three Mothers trilogy, though it is the first to be made with the idea of a trilogy, with Suspira being added after the fact and also inspiring the concept due to its success. From Wikipedia: "The plot follows a young man's investigation into the disappearance of his sister, who had been living in a New York City apartment building that also served as a home for a powerful, centuries-old witch." Inferno compares favorably to Suspiria in its set design and cinematography, sporting similar bold and saturated colors, along with elements which look to be recycled whole from the previous film. The acting is about on par as well, so don't expect any standout performances, this is mainly a visual feast for the eyes.

26. Re-animator (1985) - Cult classic based on the H.P. Lovecraft serial novelette "Herbert West–Reanimator", the film revolves around Herbert West, a medical student who has created an agent that can reanimate the dead. It's classified as a horror comedy, though the comedy is usually fairly subtle and might fly over some heads, standout performances by Jeffrey Combs as West and David Gale, who is creepy and menacing as the talking severed head of Dr. Carl Hill.

27. Bride Of Reanimator (1990) - Herbert West inexplicably returns after the events of the first movie, along with his partner in ethically questionable medical experimentation, Dr. Dan Cain, neither man seemingly suffering any repercussions for their actions and resuming their jobs at Miskatonic University Hospital as though nothing had happened. After realizing his reanimating agent is capable of reanimating individual body parts, and discovering Dan's fiancée's still intact heart in storage at the university, West hatches a plan to recreate her from body parts of various dead women. The sequel fully leans into the Frankenstein's monster premise hinted at in the first, while also pushing the comedy more towards the surface. The severed head of Dr. Hill is also back, now with bat wings!

1. Isle of the Dead (1945)
    2a. The Vampire Bat (1933)
    2b. The Body Snatcher (1945)
    3a. The Thing (1982)
    3c. Freaked (1993)
    5. Wishmaster (1997)
    6. Jason X (2001)
    8b. Count Dracula (1977)

8c. Terror Train (1980)

As predicted, this was one of the movies Joe Bob showed for his Halloween special. I don't have anything to add; it was an okay "whodunit" style slasher, I doubt it'll prove very memorable.

9. The Plague of the Zombies (1966)

This is one I've been meaning to get to for quite a while. It's from Hammer, and must have been one of the last movies to feature the classic voodoo-type zombies before Romero's undead flesh-eaters came along. Although, funnily enough, this movie DID feature undead zombies. They're still mind-controlled servants, but they have to be killed and resurrected first, and they certainly do look it.

Not quite as classic as any of the Cushing/Lee films, but still a really solid Hammer entry.
    Last edited by Sean Whitmore; 10-10-2021 at 07:57 AM.

Incredible Member

October 1st. 1- The Cat and the Canary (1927). 2- Vampyr (1932)
    October 2nd. 3- Young Frankenstein (1974)
    October 3rd. 4- The Return of the Vampire (1943)
    October 4th. 5- Viy (1967)
    October 5th. 6- Escape the Undertaker (2021) 7- Terror Train (1980)
    October 6th. 7- The Company of Wolves (1984)
    October 7th. 8- Gretel & Hansel (2020). 9- Babylon 5: Thirdspace (1998)
    October 8th. 10- My Best Friend is a Vampire (1987). 11- The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977)

This comedy is also called "I Was a Teenage Vampire" in some markets, and that title fits better. I did a double take when I saw Wilson from "House" playing the lead. David Warner is fun as a fanatical vampire hunter with a bumbling sidekick. It features the trope of the nerd girl who nobody notices is really hot bevause she wears glasses, but the absurdity of that gets highlighted in literally the first scene. It was enjoyable 80s fluff, the weaknesses being the acting by the aforementioned female love interest and a finale that just feels thrown together.

This is the one that didn't turn into a legendary Hollywood trainwreck. It was better than I expected, but needed to flesh out a couple of the manimal characters.
    Last edited by Jared; 09-03-2022 at 01:12 PM.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

1. Halloween (1978)
    2. Halloween II (1981)
    3. Poltergeist (1982)
    4. Ghost Ship
    5. The Crazies (2010)

AMC Network is running a Stephen King marathon today, so I've increased my count today.

6. The Dead Zone (1983) - When Johnny Smith (Christopher Walken) awakens from a coma caused by a car accident, he finds that years have passed, and he now has psychic abilities. Heartbroken that his girlfriend (Brooke Adams) has moved on with her life, Johnny also must contend with his unsettling powers, which allow him to see a person's future with a mere touch.

7. Thinner (1996) - Billy Halleck (Robert John Burke) is an obese lawyer who accidentally hits a Gypsy with his car after his wife distracts him. Given Halleck's influence in town and a general prejudice against Gypsies, he manages to brush the incident under the rug with some unethical legal help from his associates. However, the victim's father, Tadzu Lempke (Michael Constantine), places a curse on the heavyset man, and he starts to lose weight at an alarming rate, which is followed by other macabre events.

8. Silver Bullet (1985) - When a series of unexplained murders occurs in the normally quiet town of Tarker's Mill, the residents decide to hunt down the killer. However, many of these vigilantes end up dead, and those who don't are no closer to finding an assailant. But, when a young wheelchair-using boy named Marty (Corey Haim) encounters a werewolf one night, the pieces begin to come together. Along with his sister and Uncle Red (Gary Busey), Marty begins a mission to capture the werewolf once and for all.

9. Christine (1983) - Unpopular nerd Arnie Cunningham (Keith Gordon) buys a 1958 Plymouth Fury, which he names Christine. Arnie develops an unhealthy obsession with the car, to the alarm of his jock friend, Dennis Guilder (John Stockwell). After bully Buddy Repperton (William Ostrander) defaces Christine, the auto restores itself to perfect condition and begins killing off Buddy and his friends. Determined to stop the deaths, Dennis and Arnie's girlfriend, Leigh Cabot (Alexandra Paul), decide to destroy Christine.

10. The Shining (1980) - Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) becomes winter caretaker at the isolated Overlook Hotel in Colorado, hoping to cure his writer's block. He settles in along with his wife, Wendy (Shelley Duvall), and his son, Danny (Danny Lloyd), who is plagued by psychic premonitions. As Jack's writing goes nowhere and Danny's visions become more disturbing, Jack discovers the hotel's dark secrets and begins to unravel into a homicidal maniac hell-bent on terrorizing his family.

Fantastic Member

28. Spring (2014) - An odd pairing of romance and body horror, it leans more towards romance, but, fortunately, avoids becoming sappy at any point. A young American travels to Italy after losing his mother to cancer, there he meets and falls in love with a woman who hides a dark secret. It's another I've had on my list to see for a few years.

29. Phantasm II (1988) - The sequel picks up seven years after the events of the first film, Mike has just faked his recovery to gain release from a mental institution, he then teams up with former ice cream truck vendor Reggie to track down the Tall Man and end his evil once and for all. A more straight forward action horror flick lacking a lot of the dream-like surrealism of the original, though that may come as a welcome relief for some who found the first movie hard to follow.

30. Last Shift (2014) - A rookie police officer is assigned the final shift of a police station before it is shut down. What is meant to be an easy, stress free night turns out to be anything but, as she starts hearing sounds indicating she may not be alone, and eventually experiences strange, haunting manifestations which may or may not be all in her head. Definitely a creepy little film that, imo, is worth checking out at least once.

31. Hellraiser: Judgement (2018) - In order to retain the rights to the Hellraiser franchise, Dimension Films green-lit the movie and gave it a paltry $350,000 budget. Opinions seem to vary widely on the film's merits, only having watched it once, I'm probably somewhere in the middle. There were things I found interesting (imagining hell to be levels of beauracacy and office politics all the way down, lol!), and elements I didn't particularly care for (the detective story was rather flat and reminded me too much of Hellraiser: Inferno crossed with a cheap Seven ripoff), though I get the feeling it could have been a much better movie with a bigger budget and better actors.

Mighty Member

My list
    1) 1922 (2017)
    2)Gerald's Game (2017)
    3) Doctor Sleep (2019)

9)Escape Room (2019)

10)Escape Room: Tournament of Champions (2021)

These two movies are psychological horror films directed by Adam Robitel.

An interesting premise that never lives up to its potential and by the second installment of the franchise it turns into a convoluted mess. However, the fun of these movies is the deadly designs and extravagant traps and puzzles of the escape rooms and in both movies, they are good enough to make them a fun watch.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 10-26-2021 at 10:25 AM.

3a. The Thing (1982)
    3c. Freaked (1993)
    5. Wishmaster (1997)
    6. Jason X (2001)
    8b. Count Dracula (1977)
    8c. Terror Train (1980)

10. Deadly Friend (1986)

I never heard of this movie till recently, although I've certainly seen the basketball head explosion out of context a few times.

A kid with the worst luck in the world loses both his robot best friend (yeah, he built a robot, the movie just expects you to roll with it) and his girlfriend in a short period of time. The robot is destroyed for trespassing on a gun-toting neighbor's property, and the girlfriend (played by a young Kristy Swanson) is killed by her own abusive father. The kid tries to cure two birds with one stone, and implants the robot's artificial intelligence chip (it was the 80s) into Swanson's brain-dead body to restore her mental functions. It works, but the result is a traumatized teenage girl mixed with a traumatized overprotective robot, and the two of them go on a rampage of revenge.

Wes Craven apparently imagined this as less of a slasher and more of a bizarre, tragic love story. But the studio apparently thought, "No, none of that ****. Explode that old woman's head with a basketball." And they did, and I'm glad they did, but the tones clash, and the absence of removed content is pretty apparent. Still, fun enough.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

1. Halloween (1978)
    2. Halloween II (1981)
    3. Poltergeist (1982)
    4. Ghost Ship
    5. The Crazies (2010)
    6. The Dead Zone (1983)
    7. Thinner (1996)
    8. Silver Bullet (1985)
    9. Christine (1983)
    10. The Shining (1980)

11. Carrie (1976) - Withdrawn and sensitive teen Carrie White (Sissy Spacek) faces taunting from classmates at school and abuse from her fanatically pious mother (Piper Laurie) at home. When strange occurrences start happening around Carrie, she begins to suspect that she has supernatural powers. Invited to the prom by the empathetic Tommy Ross (William Katt), Carrie tries to let her guard down, but things eventually take a dark and violent turn.

Incredible Member

October 8th. 10- My Best Friend is a Vampire (1987). 11- The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977)

October 9th. 12- The War of the Worlds (1953). 13- 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957)

You probably know the drill here. Unstoppable war machines from Mars storm across the globe. The design of the Martian ships, both audio and visual, remains a favorite. The movie itself gets kind of flat in the middle, as there's only two main characters and not much personality. As silly as Independence Day was with the same basic premise, it did well by having an ensemble of characters that the audience could invest in. When the finale is built around Scientist Man desperately trying to find Scientist Lady as a city is blasted around him, it doesn't hit like it should because these two haven't really had a love story, they've just been onscreen together a lot. A lot of the FX look quite good for their time, a lot of the Martian attack scenes hold up better than most Kaiju rampages even from from decades later. The prologue narration features some hilariously outdated astronomy. You know, the Martians can't go to Jupiter because of all the volcanoes...

Does anyone remember the War of the Worlds syndicated TV show from the 80s? It was a sequel to this movie. I vaguely recall parts of a few episodes. I know the premise was that it's 30-something years later and the surviving Martians are trying to take over via infiltration somehow. My strongest memory of it is the logo of a martian hand curling around the Earth.

Stop motion master Ray Harryhausen's scifi riff on King Kong. A crashed rocketship with one astronaut survivor beings back an lifeform that grows rapidly in our atmosphere. The backstory about the doomed mission to Venus really should have been the first half or so of this movie. The creature itself is well done. And is actually even more of an innocent than Kong was, but nobody really acknowledges that in the story at all. I like the design of the creature, unnamed in the film but officially dubbed "Ymir". Aspects of it are echoed by Harryhausen's cyclops-centaur from one of the Sinbad movies, and the mighty Krakken from Clash of the Titans.
    Last edited by Jared; 11-01-2022 at 12:01 PM.

Incredible Member

October 9th. 12- The War of the Worlds (1953). 13- 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957)
    October 10th. 14- Kiss of the Vampire (1963)

A newlywed couple's motorcar breaks down in one of those Germanic countries where everyone sounds English. While staying at an inn, they get invited to dine at the nearby castle of Dr. Ravna and his grown children. It looks dilapidated on the outside, but within its full of fine furnishings and hypnotic piano play. Ravna mentions having been forced to leave the city after some experiment of his went wrong, but that is never elaborated on. I wonder if there was a version of this story where he was supposed to have become a vampire through science.

Better than some of Hammer's later Dracula movies. What's most notable about this probably the finale, I don't think I've ever seen a coven of vampires dealt with this way before or since. And our 'Van Helsing' here is a bit of a drunkard ruffian in mourning for a daughter lost to vampirism.

Mighty Member

1) 1922 (2017)
    2)Gerald's Game (2017)
    3) Doctor Sleep (2019)
    9)Escape Room (2019)
    10)Escape Room: Tournament of Champions (2021)

11)The Unfamiliar (2020)
    unfamiliar.jpg

Directed by Henk Pretorius, this is a British horror about an Army doctor who returns home from a war, thinking that she has PTSD, only to learn that there is a malevolence at work making the life that she knew unfamiliar.

Did not enjoy this at all.

Fantastic Member

32. Clown (2014) - A realtor finds an old clown costume in the basement of one of his properties and decides to wear it for his clown-obsessed son's birthday party, afterwards he finds the costume has bonded to him and he is unable to remove it. The "costume" is actually the skin of an ancient child devouring demon which slowly takes over the wearer's mind and body, the only way to break the curse and free the host is to allow it to feed on five children over the winter months (only mentioned once in the movie). Seems to have mixed to slightly negative ratings, not sure if that's because people may see it as being derivative of the It movies, but those never once crossed my mind while watching, and though I wasn't expecting much, I thought it was pretty good for a film with a substantially lower budget.

33. Count Dracula (1970) - Directed by Jess Franco and starring Christopher Lee in a non-Hammer Film Productions turn as Dracula, along with a mute Klaus Kinski in the role of Renfield. Even with Lee the movie tends to be rather plodding, though while not the best Dracula film, it's far from the worst.

34. Dark Was The Night (2014) - Loosely based on The Devil's Footprints incident that occurred during February 1855 around the Exe Estuary in East and South Devon, England. Set in the present day, strange incidents begin to escalate in the small town of Maiden Woods, a horse disappears from a local farm, the next morning mysterious footprints are tracked throughout the community and residents are beginning to catch fleeting glimpses of a fast moving creature in the dark. It's a little more detailed than that, but I'd rather not spend an hour trying to work out a better description in 2 or 3 sentences. Not bad, a decent performance from Kevin Durand (who I kept thinking is what you'd get if Arnold Schwarzenegger and Christopher Walken managed to have a child) as the town sheriff, and the creatures are used effectively to ramp up the tension by keeping them in the shadows and gradually increasing the severity of their attacks. Unfortunately, the full reveal is rather disappointing, and you kind of see it coming when there's still only shadowy parts being showm 3/4 of the way through the final act.

35. All Hallow's Eve (2013) - The movie that introduced a wider viewing audience to Art the Clown and helped to cement his place as a contemporary horror icon. The movie itself is an anthology with Art being the connecting thread through all the stories. Nothing terribly original in any of the stories, though I did find the video play at the end of the overarching Halloween night/babysitter narrative fun and clever. The best piece imo was the third VHS tape story, by far the most well produced (the others looked decidedly cheap in comparison) with the most blood and gore, though also the most misogynistic of the bunch, so definite trigger warning in effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    October 10th. 14- Kiss of the Vampire (1963)
    Ha, I watched this on the 10th too! I thought I was seeing it for the first time, till the ending reminded me I'd seen it before (It's on a Hammer 8-disc set that I've owned for years).

I've never seen a weaker bunch of vampires. I mean, goddamn, one of the heroes even says "We have to deal with their human servant, then they'll be helpless." In the middle of the night, yet!

3a. The Thing (1982)
    3c. Freaked (1993)
    5. Wishmaster (1997)
    6. Jason X (2001)
    8b. Count Dracula (1977)
    8c. Terror Train (1980)
    10a. Deadly Friend (1986)
    10b. Kiss of the Vampire (1963)

10c. Braindead / Dead Alive (1992)

This is a horror-comedy by Peter Jackson, and damned if it isn't the bloodiest, goriest thing I've ever ever seen. And with the budget this movie had, I cannot imagine how they pulled that off. The amount of fake blood and body parts alone should have bankrupted them, never mind all the monsters and stop motion and people being torn in half.

I've wanted to see this for years, but it never seemed to be streaming anywhere, and the DVD was always a little too expensive to buy sight unseen. (If there'd ever been a real nice, remastered, uncut collector's edition on blu-ray with a bunch of extras, I'd have seen it long before now) But surprise surprise...it's currently available on Youtube! A number of movies I've been wanting to see are, I've suddenly noticed.