Fantastic Member

Default Superman & The Authority #3 Annotations

Alaska. Has Superman finally moved his house to the U.S.A.? This issue had a lot to comment upon, and not just in the fine details but in delivering what just might be Morrison's final message for us in the pages of a DC comic.

https://rikdad.blogspot.com/2021/09/...thority-3.html

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Always a pleasure to read your thoughts, Rikdad.

Very good points on depression and suicidal thoughts in Morrison's work. For as much as superheroes can't solve real problems Morrison shows that they can actually solve very real problems that plague us every day.

Fantastic Member

Thank you, B and H!

With the focus on online bullying in issue #1 and the role of social media in Lia's depression, I think there's a very specific and real message here. Because Morrison wrote this script in the past, it seemingly cannot be referring to events from the last year or two, but then again, if he just revised one or two speech balloons, that may not be the case. So, I didn't speculate on some possible details in the messaging. Nonetheless, I found it a very real and uplifting message (in progress).

I also see a big contrast between this sort of characterization and, say, Roy Harper's struggle with a Black Lantern ring in Infinite Frontier, particularly in that Roy Harper's struggle with addiction is a famous element in his past. When a writer can make something personal more or less real, why ever go with "less"? It's the powers that make these characters different from us, not how they make moral decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Very good points on depression and suicidal thoughts in Morrison's work. For as much as superheroes can't solve real problems Morrison shows that they can actually solve very real problems that plague us every day.
    Especially in regards to Superman. There’s definitely a reoccurring plot of “regular” people wanting to give up and Morrison positioning Superman as the life affirming voice to them.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Especially in regards to Superman. There’s definitely a reoccurring plot of “regular” people wanting to give up and Morrison positioning Superman as the life affirming voice to them.
    Yes, and it plays in well with this series' concept, thus far, that Superman isn't using his powers so much as his leadership. Manchester Black and Enchantress have both benefited from his pep talks, and it looks like Lia Nelson might be next.

Morrison has used other superheroes in that way as well, with ordinary people saving the day in both his first and last JLA stories.