Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default The best-selling Post-Claremont eras of X-Men in the USA

I just stumbled upon this:

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...1/2021-07.html

I was just stunned and amazed, and ultra-happy to see my beloved X-Men at the top again.

So I'm wondering: in America, when were the X-Men one of the best-selling titles if not the absolute best-selling title in the "Post-Claremont" (1991-2021)?

I don't know the numbers, but I assume Morrison + Whedon sold well. Probably Uncanny X-Force too.

Extraordinary Member

Probably all of the post Claremont era up to about post House of X (2005) where Marvel committed to a major push with the Avengers franchise due to move rights and then shortly after actively downplayed the X-books despite still selling strong numbers. Even during this down period, there were surges of sales even with some of the stupidest status quos imposed on the line.

Also, pumping a #1 issue up to those levels is no indication of selling well (that is, if you are comparing periods) as plenty of books have done that which are followed up by very low sales in a month or two.

There's no need to assume, or ask in the first place, the data is available for everyone to see.

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales.html

Well, at least the estimated numbers for the direct market stores.

BANNED

It seems to me that X-Men kinda "flopped" in the 2006-2016 timespan (with some exceptions), then they became prominent again from a commercial standpoint.
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 09-23-2021 at 06:43 AM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    It seems to me that X-Men kinda "flopped" in the 2006-2016 timespan (with some exceptions), then they became prominent again from a commercial standpoint.
    This is the period of time (until around 2018) that Marvel was first relegating, then actively boycotting them due to movie rights and Perlmutter being a dick. Mind you, most of the time, the main titles still did well, except in the Terrigen era and afterwards.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    It seems to me that X-Men kinda "flopped" in the 2001-2011 timespan (with some exceptions), then they became prominent again from a commercial standpoint.
    They are still at or near the top for most of that decade, what we start to see is more of a broadening of pushed Marvel books, as well as the ramping up of the Event Cycle which dilutes the sales from monthly books. The X-books probably do not hit a real 'flop period' until after Secret Wars (2015-onward).

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

These are the numbers worlds wide, so not only your country, also those of the other fans ;-)

Comic series Creator(s) Publisher No. of issues Serialized Approximate sales
    Superman Jerry Siegel
    Joe Shuster DC Comics 15,000[48] 1938 – present 600 million[49][r]
    Batman Bob Kane
    Bill Finger DC comics 17,000[50] 1939 – present 484 million[s][r]
    Spider-Man Stan Lee
    Steve Ditko Marvel 13,500[54] 1963 – present 387 million[t][r]
    X-Men Stan Lee
    Jack Kirby Marvel 12,000[59] 1963 – present 260 million[25][r]
    Captain America Joe Simon
    Jack Kirby Marvel 9,000[60] 1941 – present 210 million[25]
    Diabolik Angela Giussani
    Luciana Giussani Astorina 862 1962 – present 150 million[30]
    Spawn Todd McFarlane Image Comics 600[61] 1992 – present 150 million[62]
    The Phantom Lee Falk Frew Publications 3,000[63] 1936 – present 150 million[25]
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Spectacular Member

I enjoyed looking at the stats from the ‘80’s and seeing the X-books’ dominance. I never realized that the original Excalibur sold as well as it did (except #1, because we all know how that goes). As a kid I found it to be so expensive and would forego other books to accommodate the purchase… it was $1.50! But it had Nightcrawler and Shadowcat and Davis+Claremont wit galore, so I would have purchased it no matter what.

So sad that Nightcrawler is no longer really included in most storylines… the Onslaught stuff seems like fan service, but we’ll see. I think Marvel is setting the table to introduce the X-Men to the MCU, so the typical white guys like Professor X, Wolverine, Cyclops, and Magneto are being pushed. I think the token will go to Storm, and she’ll likely continue to be supporting chaff. The main babe will be Jean (as if Marvel isn’t already stocked with buxom redheads), and so it goes. There will be some pushback in the media about inclusivity, but other than lip service, Disney won’t care because $$$ talks.

But hooray for Excalibur in 1988!

Ultimate X-Men sold very well when it first came out actually claiming that number one spot for issue 1 I believe.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Mighty Member

I think you're giving those numbers way too much credit.

Most XMen #1s sell TONS of issues and the majority are the number 1 book (for that month at least!). It's no guarantee they'll continue selling that high. In fact, most drop off by tons as well.

That's why Marvel is addicted to relaunchs. The number one books tend to be the best of that month, but most drop off and get cancelled around the 12-20 issue mark anyway.

Back when X-Men were dominating. A normal X-Men #37 issue would sell tons. Now they never even make it that far, and by issue 2, they drop more than half their audience. And that figure is for the successful books too.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 09-23-2021 at 11:15 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    This is the period of time (until around 2018) that Marvel was first relegating, then actively boycotting them due to movie rights and Perlmutter being a dick. Mind you, most of the time, the main titles still did well, except in the Terrigen era and afterwards.
    Boycotting the X-Men must be the dumbest decision ever taken by a publishing company in the history of the publishing companies.

BANNED

Just wondering this:

When the "New" X-Men had their tremendous success in 1975-2005, did the original line-up (the five) reissues sell well, if not great?

I feel like most of the early 90's through Onslaught were still very high selling periods for the X-Men. And the later 90's as well, they still typically had the top 2 books selling book every month (though of course there were exceptions at times). Then came Morrison's run and Whedon's run, but those were individual books, one at at time. The actual franchise as whole suffered a little bit during that time (2001-2008, when Whedon wrapped up his Astonishing run.) Then...BAM. 2008 hit and Marvel hit gold with Iron Man, and the idea sprung to make more successful movies with the franchises they owned the rights to. So they sidelined the X-titles, which suffered tremendously for the next 11 years.

But in terms of best selling, I really feel like the early 90's was still the best selling post-Claremont era. not to say Hickman, Whedon and Morrison eras and runs didn't sell well, but there's a degree of hype involved with that as well. Lobdell and Nicieza, et al, benefited greatly in terms of readership coming off of the one of the most, if not the most, successful comic runs of all time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by master of sound View Post
    these are the numbers worlds wide, so not only your country, also those of the other fans ;-)

comic series creator(s) publisher no. Of issues serialized approximate sales
    superman jerry siegel
    joe shuster dc comics 15,000[48] 1938 – present 600 million[49][r]
    batman bob kane
    bill finger dc comics 17,000[50] 1939 – present 484 million[s][r]
    spider-man stan lee
    steve ditko marvel 13,500[54] 1963 – present 387 million[t][r]
    x-men stan lee
    jack kirby marvel 12,000[59] 1963 – present 260 million[25][r]

captain america joe simon
    jack kirby marvel 9,000[60] 1941 – present 210 million[25]
    diabolik angela giussani
    luciana giussani astorina 862 1962 – present 150 million[30]
    spawn todd mcfarlane image comics 600[61] 1992 – present 150 million[62]
    the phantom lee falk frew publications 3,000[63] 1936 – present 150 million[25]
    impressive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!