Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Default mixed race couples- the good, the bad, the laughs

Hey everyone, I've come to share and will be happy to listen to your experiences. Four weeks ago I met the most amazing woman. She's Cuban... I'm not (pale as a full moon). We made the first steps towards a brighter future for the both of us. Our families are ok with us being together as far as I can tell. Sooner or later we'll run into people who are not. I am ready. Bring it on, life. For today I'm listening to you folks out there... Is that Ok?

Astonishing Member

My wife is Asian, I'm Hispanic but in the 13 years we've been together, we've never come across any problems. Although maybe it depends on the location. We went to Pahrump, NV once, a rural conservative town, and people assumed she was a domestic worker.

**** anyone who cannot accept who you are and who you love. You are two humans, there is nothing "mixed" about the two of you. It is an antiquated idea that needs to be disposed of.
    Do I have a mixed marriage because my wife and I have different hair color?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    My wife is Asian, I'm Hispanic but in the 13 years we've been together, we've never come across any problems. Although maybe it depends on the location. We went to Pahrump, NV once, a rural conservative town, and people assumed she was a domestic worker.
    Thank you for sharing. Was there ever a situation that made you both laugh?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    **** anyone who cannot accept who you are and who you love. You are two humans, there is nothing "mixed" about the two of you. It is an antiquated idea that needs to be disposed of.
    Do I have a mixed marriage because my wife and I have different hair color?
    Bless you

I think if there is any kind of problem, it is about the culture, not about the appearance…

We are raised with a set of beliefs that feel natural to us and that is a part of who we are. It is only the time that tells if it causes some problems…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I think if there is any kind of problem, it is about the culture, not about the appearance…
    Indeed. It sure can be complicated to be with someone from a different culture than your own. (not because of what other people may think about you two though, who cares?)

Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Indeed. It sure can be complicated to be with someone from a different culture than your own. (not because of what other people may think about you two though, who cares?)

Good luck to you.
    Gracias, amigo. I stopped caring what people think about me 3 years ago but I won't tolerate what they say about her. If I ever have to cross that bridge I might be able to do something stupid

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Gracias, amigo. I stopped caring what people think about me 3 years ago but I won't tolerate what they say about her. If I ever have to cross that bridge I might be able to do something stupid
    Anthony de Mello, a philosopher, said something like «  insults are like "gifts”: we don’t have to accept them. » Here is the closest I found:
    “When the letter isn’t received, it’s sent back to the person who wrote it. You don’t receive it, it goes back. You know why you got insulted or why you were upset by the insult? Because you took it, that’s why. Why did you take it?”

Anyone who would insult this person you like probably doesn’t know her. How anything that could be said would be relevant?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I am a black guy and I am attracted to woman of any race. A pretty girl is a pretty girl period. That said, I haven't been in an interracial relationship but I have gone on some dates with girls of other races. But dating is rough for black people who are interested in dating with some variety. It's rare as a black male to get matched white or girls of other races. They tend to date only inside their race as reports says black people are among the lowest desired sadly on dating sites . Not saying they all are racist cause I definitely got matched and when on a couple of dates with white girls, but it's rare lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I am a black guy and I am attracted to woman of any race. A pretty girl is a pretty girl period. That said, I haven't been in an interracial relationship but I have gone on some dates with girls of other races. But dating is rough for black people who are interested in dating with some variety. It's rare as a black male to get matched white or girls of other races. They tend to date only inside their race as reports says black people are among the lowest desired sadly on dating sites . Not saying they all are racist cause I definitely got matched and when on a couple of dates with white girls, but it's rare lol.
    Black is beautiful indeed I'm attracted to lots of different women as well. I just hope she was my last first date...