Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Default Onslaught Revelation Review and SPOILERS

Sorry if this is too early but I have a walk up a Welsh hillside calling me.

This is gonna be a hard write up, it’s complicated.

We start with the preview pages.
    The youth of Krakoa are having the same idea, Cruciball. A party to end all parties. Fuelled by Onslaught, of course.
    Kurt abducts Pixie, gating her to Mars and Lost, Cortez and Legion. They purge Onslaught from her and we get some backstory.
    Lost is indeed a sleeper agent for Orchis, completely unaware of her complicity in seeding Onslaught on Krakoa.
    Onslaught is having Charles delete the backups of the infected. It’s then going to trigger mass murder at Cruciball, which people wont be able to be resurrected from.

Datapage. David now has the House of L in its own pocket dimension.

The House of L has some Escheresque, non-euclidian geometry and Kurt and Legion confront the now non-comatose Cortez again there.
    Again he gets put through the wringer, with some pretty graphics, again his connection to Lost is stressed.
    Meanwhile, Pixie is back on Krakoa freeing mutants with her soul dagger (good use if the character, sensible choice) she frees Loa/DJ/Dazzler/Doctor Nemesis/Blink while the Krakoan’s continue with the build up to their suicidal bacchanalia.
    Kurt preaches at Cortez (in a, frankly, irritating way) and Si does a reasonable job of eliciting some sympathy for spoiled rich boy Cortez. But not much.

Meanwhile, at the plot.
    Pixie takes out Magneto with her soul dagger, freeing him from Onslaught, brave and smart move, lassie. Charles, who Eric was guarding, makes a run for it, still deleting mutant back ups from Cerebro.

Meanwhile, House of L.
    Lost can’t forgive Cortez but she no longer hates him. Which causes a breakdown of the Orchis controls (I think) and light floods out of her.

Krakoa, Dazzler, Dr N and DJ use their unique talents to effect the mood of the partygoers, in a positive rather than negative way. They chivvy everyone through to David’s place on Mars and to his pocket dimension. Where they all party on with the help of Dr N’s narcotics.

Kurt and Legion explain to Cortez that Orchis anchored Onslaught in Lost’s hatred of him. But she no longer hates him, freeing her and him.
    Onslaught, in a fit of pique, manifests as a nightmare version of Xavier to destroy the mutants who are defying his desire for murder. Legion sends the Xorn brothers to occupy him while he asks Dust to do her thing and manifest her abilities to connect everyone (it’s mumbo jumbo, but it’s an interesting new use of her abilities which could be used again). The connected mutants defeat Onslaught in several spectacular splash pages (this book does look very good).
    Datapage. The Book of the Spark.
    And I’m still not much clearer what the spark is apart from positive and encouraging and that everyone is valuable on Krakoa.
    We rule us.

Onslaught is defeated.
    Lost is herself and whole again.
    David has created a pocket universe called the Alter where mutants can learn new skills, grow, be occupied and have a purpose (Gorgon is training them in martial arts, for example. Mercury and Loa share a milkshake. It even looks like Shadow King has a place).

This is all placed as happening a few months ago, we know this because THE BEARD IS BACK!
    Ahem. Sorry about that.
    Kurt is sporting his face fuzz again and is setting up a group to keep an eye on **** (without the Council’s approval, interestingly) the group will use David’s place as an HQ and called Legionaries.

And end.

Except for a promo for book 2.
    We keep the peace.
    We keep the law.
    We keep the spark.

Looks like the new team with be Beardycrawler, Pixie, Doctor Nemesis, Juggernaut, BLINDFOLD and a guy with a widows peak and a gun I feel I should recognise but I don’t. And the chin of a figure in the background who will be Legion, overseeing it all.

Phew. That was hard work.
    Did it all come together? Yes and no.
    The art was great, lots of beautiful splash pages and dynamic action.
    I still hate preachy Kurt. But I love beardy Kurt.
    I’m still rather unsure what the big idea is.
    I hope we get more of Lost, now she’s becoming more of a person rather than just a victim.
    No matter how you try to make Cortez interesting or sympathetic, he remains a slug.
    One hopes Charles will be somewhat humbled by all this. But I doubt it.

Last edited by Su_Whisterfield; 09-22-2021 at 06:22 AM.

They really didn't need to break out issue 6 into a one-shot. You'd have absolutely no clue what was going on here if you'd not read the rest of the story.

I also realised afterwards I couldn't remember what had happened to Onslaught at the end, but checking back it was like he was defeated by Kurt's idea inside Legion's mental space and sucked down into a vortex or something. Onslaught really was more like a metaphor for Dr Nemesis's societal Anomie than an actual character, but I'm not sure I mind that as he's a bloody stupid idea for a character anyway.

Oh yeah, so begin feverish speculation about the return of Blindfold after Inferno now! And also, that is ForgetMeNot on the cover with her.

Thought it was a good conclusion overall. I’ve realized that this book is a bit of a necessary evil. With the way that fans have jumped on the cracks in Krakoan society there needed to be a book to directly address them, even if it does feel a little Sociology101 sometimes. I’ll wait to hear the pitch for the follow-up before I decide to jump back in.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    They really didn't need to break out issue 6 into a one-shot. You'd have absolutely no clue what was going on here if you'd not read the rest of the story.

I also realised afterwards I couldn't remember what had happened to Onslaught at the end, but checking back it was like he was defeated by Kurt's idea inside Legion's mental space and sucked down into a vortex or something. Onslaught really was more like a metaphor for Dr Nemesis's societal Anomie than an actual character, but I'm not sure I mind that as he's a bloody stupid idea for a character anyway.

Oh yeah, so begin feverish speculation about the return of Blindfold after Inferno now! And also, that is ForgetMeNot on the cover with her.
    Ah, of course it is (ForgetMeNot). Mornington Crescent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Thought it was a good conclusion overall. I’ve realized that this book is a bit of a necessary evil. With the way that fans have jumped on the cracks in Krakoan society there needed to be a book to directly address them, even if it does feel a little Sociology101 sometimes. I’ll wait to hear the pitch for the follow-up before I decide to jump back in.
    Yeah, It’s Kurt, so no doubt I’ll be stumping up for it. And I like Pixie and Doctor Nemesis too.
    I’ll probably give it a go.
    Though I’m sure Marvel’s legal department have run a pass over it, I still think calling them Legionaries will raise eyebrows at the distinguished competition.

Astonishing Member

Ruth comming back yea. Also is Kurt a cop now ?

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

The guy with the gun is Forget-Me-Not.

BTW, did they ever explain WHY Cortez killed Lost's parents?
    Last edited by Lady Midnight; 09-22-2021 at 06:36 AM.
    My flag is bacon.

Legionaires is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I can't see DC being ok with Marvel using the name.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post

I knew I knew that character. But I had also forgotten about him lol.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I do not care how they call that new squad, it is nice to see ForgetMeNot again. I forgot all about him and who didn't? ;-)
    Blindfold seems to be a astal plane or hologram version. Wonder how they will pull that one off.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Astonishing Member

It just hit me this is the krakoan inquisition

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    It just hit me this is the krakoan inquisition
    Nobody expects the Krakoan Inquisition!

Lost's parents were collateral damage on one of Fabian Cortezs escapades.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post

Because he's a prick basically.

Glad to see this thread didn't get deleted like mine did for whatever reason

Incredible Member

interesting that lost and cortez seems to have taken over the teaching children thing that exodus has been doing. with the ending being set a few months later could this be a sign he might leave krakoa after inferno?