Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Mephisto: "Ok Peter, I will save your aunt May if you do a vasectomy !"

There, problem solved, no need to make a convoluted plan during 40 years who involve clones, twins, imposters and whatnot. Frankly the plan don't make any sense.
    It's not written by the same writer, Spencer is trying to fix a mess created by someone else.

Also why doesn't Wanda/Legion/Doctor Strange, etc. warp criminals out of existence, or into Jail cells when they are on the run.
    Why doesn't bruce send Joker to deep space in a prison, it won't even break his rule.

I could go on and on, but using your logic all comics can be solved in simple ways, it's not going to be much of a story though.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    It's not written by the same writer, Spencer is trying to fix a mess created by someone else.

Also why doesn't Wanda/Legion/Doctor Strange, etc. warp criminals out of existence, or into Jail cells when they are on the run.
    Why doesn't bruce send Joker to deep space in a prison, it won't even break his rule.

I could go on and on, but using your logic all comics can be solved in simple ways, it's not going to be much of a story though.
    My point was mainly that the solution by Spencer was convoluted, don't really make sense and need too mucch knowledge of obscure spider-stories that everyone want to forget, like the twins. I don't like this story, it was too long for a messy and complex result.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Astonishing Member

No, what makes for a poor story are plot holes, contradictory world building and an absence of logic.

Wanda, etc, can’t do that because warping people out of existence is basically killing them, and murder is frowned on in the Marvel U. Putting people in jail without a trial is going against the social tenets of innocent until proven guilty and right to due process. Bruce can’t put the Joker in deep space prison because Gotham uses the US justice system and he’s not a judge and a jury of 12 peers.

Worlds have rules, even fictional ones. Writers need to obey those rules to create cohesive, entertaining stories so the reader can suspend their disbelief and aren’t yanked out of the fictional world when plot holes and illogical chains of events happen.

Spencer’s apparent goal was to retcon bad stories. He worked well with continuity, going into deep dives and making his additions fit neatly until almost the bitter end. it’s plainly evident someone(s) who could care less about world building and continuity, however, came in at the last minute and rewrote his script - opening up plot holes like why didn’t Mephisto just find a mechanism that would render Peter or MJ infertile? Boom! His master plan would be guaranteed success.

As it is, this new addition to continuity makes Mephisto (and whoever at Marvel dictated this) really stupid. As far as the Mephisto knows, he’s relying on a legal piece of paper to prevent conception when the legal piece of paper has nothing to do with whether Peter and MJ can have a child or not.

Amazing Member

Have to disagree.

Pre-OMD Harry death was perfect and he never should have been brought back.Now he wasn't, and his soul is now free.

Clones having souls is the dumbest thing ever, it basically ruins death's already diminished value in the MU.Ben(who I think people want to have a soul) also shouldn't have a soul but he feels like he does, as in when he dies there's no heaven or hell.He just shuts down like a machine but he feels death like humans so.Same w/ harry.

BND Harry didn't have the charm, he was so bland to me.Harry Pre-OMD was much more interesting, BND Harry is like Spider-Gwen.Just reduces the impact of their death, much more for Harry.His death was done well, he died a hero.

God no, let him rest.No clones and no souls stuff, he dealt w/ enough.I was hoping they'd off Norman and hope they do after Beyond.I don't want Beyond writers to mess w/ Osborn's.

Ned Leeds had some stuff w/ the foreginer which hopefully is explored more.I don't know why they brought him back, or why Betty is pregnant.Hopefully they make a good story out of it.
    Pretty much every major religious faith on the planet agrees that a clone would have its own soul, independent of the original. That’s also supported by science. Identical twins literally have the same genetic code. By your logic, one or both of them wouldn’t have souls. Where the story falls apart theologically is:

1) You can’t sell someone else’s soul to the devil. That makes zero sense.

2) The twins did nothing that merited going to Hell. The Marvel afterlife seems to be based on your deeds as opposed to what God you worship.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dasklein83 View Post
    Pretty much every major religious faith on the planet agrees that a clone would have its own soul, independent of the original. That’s also supported by science. Identical twins literally have the same genetic code. By your logic, one or both of them wouldn’t have souls. Where the story falls apart theologically is:

1) You can’t sell someone else’s soul to the devil. That makes zero sense.

2) The twins did nothing that merited going to Hell. The Marvel afterlife seems to be based on your deeds as opposed to what God you worship.
    No they don't, what faith are you talking about bruh.Science doesn't support having souls, Period.

1)Mephisto has made multiple deals where in he gives something to someone and ask for something else like their kid or a future favor.Read current Avengers run and you'll see how demonic debt works in the MU once someone is killed, their family pays for it.I agree it doesn't make sense, but Mephisto has done it multiple times.

2)They were born of Sin, and moreover they engaged in a lot of violence against a good man at that.I agree it we need more but from their action's they are more hell than heaven.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

You know I kind of thought that Norman confessing his sins along with good Harry dying would like send the good Harry to fight the evil Harry or they'd cancel out or something. Can't help but think that would have been a happier ending. What even happens to Harry's soul now? I guess he's just in heaven instead? That's kind of a gross misconception of how these things from a religious standpoint lol but why should I care what happens to his soul in the first place?

Incredible Member

No they don't, what faith are you talking about bruh.Science doesn't support having souls, Period.

1)Mephisto has made multiple deals where in he gives something to someone and ask for something else like their kid or a future favor.Read current Avengers run and you'll see how demonic debt works in the MU once someone is killed, their family pays for it.I agree it doesn't make sense, but Mephisto has done it multiple times.

2)They were born of Sin, and moreover they engaged in a lot of violence against a good man at that.I agree it we need more but from their action's they are more hell than heaven.
    Born of sin? Please elaborate. The way this reads suggests that anyone born “of sin” should be condemned to hell. So a child born as a result of rape should automatically go to hell?

BleedingCool is reporting that this was always Spencer's plan and there may have been editorial blocks on One More Day, but they did not come about late in the process and this is what was intended the whole time. The run was definitely cut short and he had to fit a lot into a few issues so it was rushed at the end (even though it felt slow LOL). https://bleedingcool.com/comics/did-...ncer-intended/

Inclined to believe this as BC is usually more likely to rumormonger about editorial interference than to shut it down.

Amazing Member

I wasn’t saying science supports the existence of souls. I was saying, if souls exist, as they clearly do in the Marvel Universe, then it’s absurd to say that clones wouldn’t have one. This is because identical twins are functionally clones. That’s what I meant when I referred to science.

Here is the Catholic Church’s position on clones, where they definitively say that, under the terms of their faith, clones would have a soul.

https://www.usccb.org/committees/pro...-human-dignity
    Last edited by Dasklein83; 10-01-2021 at 10:08 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dasklein83 View Post
    I wasn’t saying science supports the existence of souls. I was saying, if souls exist, as they clearly do in the Marvel Universe, then it’s absurd to say that clones wouldn’t have one. This is because identical twins are functionally clones. That’s what I meant when I referred to science.

Here is the Catholic Church’s position on clones, where they definitively say that, under the terms of their faith, clones would have a soul.

https://www.usccb.org/committees/pro...-human-dignity
    Oh okay, yeah I get that.But like what seperates an AI from a clone, organic matter?Because MU has advanced enough AI to be sentient.
    I think twins is diff. because the soul when being made(IG) is being split and grown into too.Clone's don't have that.IG I would say pregnancy is when the soul is grown, hence twins have them.

Read some stuff about it and people basis for clones having souls is that they are identical to us, the diff. is in the real world we don't know if we have souls.But we do in the MU, but Ig you have a point.

Incredible Member

If only there was some Negative Zone they could incarcerate supervillains in. Seems like a foolproof plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    BleedingCool is reporting that this was always Spencer's plan and there may have been editorial blocks on One More Day, but they did not come about late in the process and this is what was intended the whole time. The run was definitely cut short and he had to fit a lot into a few issues so it was rushed at the end (even though it felt slow LOL). https://bleedingcool.com/comics/did-...ncer-intended/

Inclined to believe this as BC is usually more likely to rumormonger about editorial interference than to shut it down.
    Well that really damns Spencer then, because he did a piss poor job handling it then. Using OMD as a fakeout to deal with SP? Sorry Spencer, that’s not what people wanted. Plus his story still doesn’t make sense, all the droppe split threads that have been brought up over and over, his characterization of Kindred, there’s just so many plot holes. Makes Spencer look even worse now.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Born of sin? Please elaborate. The way this reads suggests that anyone born “of sin” should be condemned to hell. So a child born as a result of rape should automatically go to hell?
    Actually many Christian faiths believe that you are consigned to hell until you are “saved”. I’m not espousing that as a personal belief necessarily, but am making you aware of it. That “born of sin” is a key tenet to many Christian faiths.

I mean generally I don’t think you have any hero make a deal with a literal or figurative devil no matter your religious background, but that’s neither here nor there…
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    Actually many Christian faiths believe that you are consigned to hell until you are “saved”. I’m not espousing that as a personal belief necessarily, but am making you aware of it. That “born of sin” is a key tenet to many Christian faiths.

I mean generally I don’t think you have any hero make a deal with a literal or figurative devil no matter your religious background, but that’s neither here nor there…
    That’s a fair description of some types of evangelical Christianity, but I think it’s pretty clear that not how the cosmology of the Marvel Universe operates. It’s always been good people go to heaven, with really bad people going to hell, with occasional and vague references to “the one above all,” who is presumably a monotheistic creator to whom the Living Tribunal answers (God almighty, we are putting way too much thought into this &#128518. That being said, the idea that you can sell someone else’s soul, let alone a child’s, is preposterous. The whole idea of a deal with a devil, going back to Faust, is that it must be freely made between the parties, especially as it concerns the soul. I prefer to think Mephisto made Norman think he sold Harry’s soul, just to fuck with him. In actuality, Harry ended up in Hell due to his own choices. Maybe in the height of his madness, Harry made his own deal with Mephisto, which led to Harry discovering the Goblin formula in Spectacular 189. At the end of the day, I think it’s a story that a lot of us get really invested in after a decade plus of not reading Spider-Man, and it just sucks that this is how it ended.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    If only there was some Negative Zone they could incarcerate supervillains in. Seems like a foolproof plan.
    Better than having them on Earth....