Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

I envy some of you guys for understanding the Kindred Saga resolution, because I didn't undestand a ****. I laughed a bit typing this, but for me this story is more confusing than Clone Saga, somehow. At least in Norman Diary story, we figured out all the loose ends of the clone saga (and the issue itself is very well written). But the Kindred story already explained what happened behind the scenes in the past issues, and it still doesn't make any sense to me (it still fell very disjointed).

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Does anyone know of another run whose sole purpose was to retcon something or "fix" something?

And I don't mean a reboot or soft reboot like House of X, this is one of the craziest runs I have ever read.

Like you have to be elbow deep in Spidey lore from the 90's!

Who was this book for? 40 year olds? New readers? MCU Spidey fans?

I am flabbergasted - well at least in the beginning we had amazing art

Quote Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
    I envy some of you guys for understanding the Kindred Saga resolution, because I didn't undestand a ****. I laughed a bit typing this, but for me this story is more confusing than Clone Saga, somehow. At least in Norman Diary story, we figured out all the loose ends of the clone saga (and the issue itself is very well written). But the Kindred story already explained what happened behind the scenes in the past issues, and it still doesn't make any sense to me (it still fell very disjointed).
    Congrats, we all made it through the 2020s' clone saga equivalent seemingly haha!

Honestly the last issue of the Clone Saga was pretty strong, in a vacuum it's a great issue alone because it's Spidey fighting his arch enemy after a long time and it feels like a big deal, there are conclusive answers about everything (except baby May, but in that issue it just feels like she died and that was it. Until they decided maybe not shortly after lol). Plus that JRJR art is top notch JRJR. Halloween night setting is a bonus, too. All drawn by JRJR and JRJR alone, I may add!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
    People complained when King explained that Bane was behind it all multiple times, I'm guessing Spencer took notes and learned.
    Aside from Editorial interference that we will find out,

Just think of it as

1)Mephisto has visions of Peter and/or Mayday stopping his plan in the future(the one we will get, teased "the fate of Mephisto" in the futures of 616 thing)
    2)He does OMD to make sure Mayday doesn't happen, and Norman deal as a backup/to deal w/ Peter, etc.
    3)Peter and MJ somehow break OMD and get back together(marriage hear means their relationship btw), and Mephisto's back up plan is put in place
    4)Mephisto manipulates AI Harry who manipulates Kindreds to torture and break Peter but w/ MJ at his side they fail.Any OOC thing really is editorial but can be seen as AI Harry and Kindred's a.k.a. the twins influence effecting actions.It's cheap but that's how it makes sense in canon.
    5)So by strange's monologue, OMD is stealth broken.Peter MJ are together and stronger for it, and Mayday is a future possibility.

The thing is clone saga was a mess of it's own making, no one wanted that idea.People have wanted OMD, Sins Past, etc. dealt w/ for year, even decade.Ofc looking back at it people are much more sympathetic, same as people will be for this.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 09-29-2021 at 09:08 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Does anyone know of another run whose sole purpose was to retcon something or "fix" something?

And I don't mean a reboot or soft reboot like House of X, this is one of the craziest runs I have ever read.

Then again we haven't gotten a story like OMD for others.
    I'd say it's for fans who have read all of ASM, and it will help other writers make better runs for all audiences old and new.
    It's a necessary evil

It usually works out better for Geoff Johns.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Congrats, we all made it through the 2020s' clone saga equivalent seemingly haha!

Honestly the last issue of the Clone Saga was pretty strong, in a vacuum it's a great issue alone because it's Spidey fighting his arch enemy after a long time and it feels like a big deal, there are conclusive answers about everything (except baby May, but in that issue it just feels like she died and that was it. Until they decided maybe not shortly after lol). Plus that JRJR art is top notch JRJR. Halloween night setting is a bonus, too. All drawn by JRJR and JRJR alone, I may add!
    Conclusion of the Clone Saga was infinitely more satisfying than this conclusion of Kindred.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Then again we haven't gotten a story like OMD for others.
    I'd say it's for fans who have read all of ASM, and it will help other writers make better runs for all audiences old and new.
    It's a necessary evil
    LMAO so it's a teaching moment, but what sucks is that if I wanted to read this run in a vacuum I cannot there is sooo much baggage in this run and for no reason

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It usually works out better for Geoff Johns.
    You ain't lying

Extraordinary Member

LMAO so it's a teaching moment, but what sucks is that if I wanted to read this run in a vacuum I cannot there is sooo much baggage in this run and for no reason

You ain't lying
    Oh yeah, this isn't a run to be read in a vaccum.BND was and people were negative af about this, so I don't know what to think.What we need is Pre-OMD style stories that work for both old and new, but we needed this to make that so it's good.But Beyond is going in the opposite direction so it's bad.But it's a last minute placeholder so it's good.
    It's...... it's a lot.Again the run after Beyond will decide the direction.

Yeah, the Clone Saga has a better ending than this.

Overalñ the Kindred plot ended...weirdly, i don't really know what the hell happened here, either Spencer decided to make a final plot twist in order to surprise us or something changed.

Oh well, the ending is meh, but it has some nice moments that i appreciate, like Harry helping Peter, MJ saving him.and Mephisto explanation. Still there is really something weird about the issue. Overall, i did enjoy the run, is not going to the top 5, but it was good enought to keep my interest.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Fantastic Member

For what came first, I think they interfered w/ Spencer not letting him go all the way and he retaliated w/ Substack.He wanted redemption for Cap fiasco, not to mention you can see the seeds of OMD planted, there's just no way to deny that.
    Given how much more money Spencer is making with Substack I think this possibility of the order of operations is *reeeeeeally* remote. That being said, I guess we'll know when/if Spencer ever discusses it.
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

Oh yeah, this isn't a run to be read in a vaccum.BND was and people were negative af about this, so I don't know what to think.What we need is Pre-OMD style stories that work for both old and new, but we needed this to make that so it's good.But Beyond is going in the opposite direction so it's bad.But it's a last minute placeholder so it's good.
    It's...... it's a lot.Again the run after Beyond will decide the direction.
    I don't know if we'll ever get pre-OMD Spidey stories, that may be wishful thinking

I mean I enjoyed Slott's run, it was simple without too much continuity issues because it was basically rebooted.

I do hope we get back to that, but who know when.

But all I know is I am done with Spidey for a long time

Extraordinary Member

I don't know if we'll ever get pre-OMD Spidey stories, that may be wishful thinking

I mean I enjoyed Slott's run, it was simple without too much continuity issues because it was basically rebooted.

I do hope we get back to that, but who know when.

But all I know is I am done with Spidey for a long time
    Hopefully not but probably true

Gonna go against the grain and say I liked this overall. Its far from perfect. I knew they we r not going to undo OMD. Its too late now. Its not gonna happen. Theres no logical way to do it without it being so convoluted that it doesn't make this look like a barmey episode in comparison.

As an ending to this run its pretty solid IMO. I loved the final note of Mephisto stating why he torments Peter. Absolutely loved that.

I've finally read it.
    It's obvious the story was changed, so OMD couldn't be mentioned. It's weird that we got Mayday there.
    Anyway, as an ending to this saga, it fails at everything. It doesn't feel like a conclusion, and it's rushed.
    I feel like I've wasted my time :/

Also, we don't know what happened to May and Jonah, and they were listed in solicits, right? Another fuel to the theory that editorial changed things?
    Last edited by Dzika_Sowa; 09-29-2021 at 10:45 PM.